Streaming Gems (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.)

Started by BanzaiCat, December 12, 2014, 09:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

I gave Lost In Space about 11 minutes before I went into the comments section to see what people were saying about it. I just wanted to be sure it wasn't just me, and it wasn't.

mirth

Quote from: BanzaiCat on April 15, 2018, 08:51:56 AM
I gave Lost In Space about 11 minutes before I went into the comments section to see what people were saying about it. I just wanted to be sure it wasn't just me, and it wasn't.

It was though.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

I've watch four episodes of Lost in Space so far and it's fair. I will say it is much better than the single episode of Discovery that I watched.  :-"
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on April 15, 2018, 11:17:58 AM
I've watch four episodes of Lost in Space so far and it's fair. I will say it is much better than the single episode of Discovery that I watched.  :-"

lol
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

BanzaiCat

An episode of Cop Rock would be more entertaining than Discovery.

I might give Lost In Space another chance. I got the feeling the lead female is a bitchy, overbearing character and the male was beat down, but a lot of comments on that show said exactly those things. I should give it more than 11 minutes before passing judgement, though, to be fair. They might have come to the same conclusion without watching more of it.

The visuals were pretty spectacular and I'm no science/engineering guy like Barth, so what do I know.

mirth

I've only watched the first episode. It wasn't great, but it was better than I expected and had enough of a hook to get me to watch more. There was plenty of melodrama and family conflicts to drive me crazy. Molly Parker's character is bitchy, but I love her as an actress so I didn't mind so much.

I'm pretty burned out on the Netflix Marvel stuff, so this might be a decent diversion.

DoctorQuest

They tried to stuff a lot of backstory into that first episode. I'm not sure that helped move things along. I'm willing to give it a few more episodes.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Nefaro

Started watching the Russian series Sophia on Amazon Prime.

Didn't expect much, but was surprised at the quality.  The ca. 15th century Russian period scenery and costumes is impressive.  Being based on historical events keeps it entertaining.

Pleasantly surprised.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bbmike

They are pushing the female lead a bit too hard and so far Dr. Smith's character is horrible.

Oh, the pain! The pain!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on April 15, 2018, 12:59:30 PM
Is that pre-Ivan the Terrible?

Ivan's grandfather, Ionne. 

The one who defeated the Tatar Khan IIRC, and became grand prince or some such.

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on April 15, 2018, 01:02:24 PM
They are pushing the female lead a bit too hard and so far Dr. Smith's character is horrible.

Oh, the pain! The pain!

yeah because the original show set such a high bar :P

After all, it is the show CBS picked over Star Trek!

DoctorQuest

Quote from: mirth on April 15, 2018, 01:14:57 PM

Oh, the pain! The pain!

And it does not sound like "Discovery" is much in the way of penance.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

bbmike

Quote from: mirth on April 15, 2018, 01:14:57 PM

Oh, the pain! The pain!

Oh yeah, I get that. So far I like this reboot better than the original. It's just that the other characters seem to 'match' their original counterparts except Dr. Smith. Hopefully that will be corrected in the coming episodes.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

DoctorQuest

^I don't know about that. I just finished Episode 2 and she seems every bit as slimy as the original.