Streaming Gems (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.)

Started by BanzaiCat, December 12, 2014, 09:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

I mean, according to the story itself, she's not even actually Dr. Smith!!!  :o
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

This is pretty different and definitely a gem. Hadn't heard of it before and the plot and ratings were intriguing, so I checked it out. The gist is, a guy has a car wreck and wakes up with a power that causes everything in a 50-foot radius around him to die. It's on Netflix if anyone's interested.

DoctorQuest

Quote from: bbmike on April 15, 2018, 06:03:51 PM

But what do we know about the original Dr. Smith???? Hmmmmm??????
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

bbmike

Quote from: BanzaiCat on April 15, 2018, 06:51:03 PM
This is pretty different and definitely a gem. Hadn't heard of it before and the plot and ratings were intriguing, so I checked it out. The gist is, a guy has a car wreck and wakes up with a power that causes everything in a 50-foot radius around him to die. It's on Netflix if anyone's interested.

I suspect that 50 foot radius includes those watching this on Netflix.  :P
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

bbmike

Quote from: DoctorQuest on April 15, 2018, 07:09:34 PM

Quiet, you Nickel-plated Nincompoop!
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Tuna

On the tenth episode of Lost in Space now.. I really liked it! One can hate this Dr. Smith more than the original!

Staggerwing

Gee... where have I heard this before... oh, wait- in this very thread:

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=12035.msg594930#msg594930

:))
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Staggerwing on April 15, 2018, 07:32:48 PM

Gee... where have I heard this before... oh, wait- in this very thread:

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=12035.msg594930#msg594930

:))

Ha! Sorry. You called it first. :)

DoctorQuest

Quote from: bbmike on April 15, 2018, 07:19:17 PM

OH YEAH! I got to meet Barbara Luna!

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

airboy

I watched Our World War from BBC.  The episode about Mons and the episode about the Amiens tank offensive were very good.

bbmike

Quote from: DoctorQuest on April 15, 2018, 08:24:51 PM
Quote from: bbmike on April 15, 2018, 07:19:17 PM

OH YEAH! I got to meet Barbara Luna!

-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

Pretty sure nobody else posted this yet...

Saw this on Amazon Prime. There's a lot of highly-rated Russian war movies on AP and this one was pretty good. (Funny how this reminds me of the opening chapters of Red Storm Rising where the intelligence officer was getting suspicious over the Soviets playing remastered patriotic movies...)

The trailer is in English, but the movie itself is Russian with English subtitles, which I prefer over dubbing any day. Well acted, decent effects, and a good story I thought.

...huh. Well the full movie is on YT, too.  :D

Silent Disapproval Robot

I tried watching it a few years ago but it was just a little too ridiculous for me.  I think I got to the part where the Soviets were in a swamp and the white Tiger was parked right in front of them and nobody could see it but the driver and then I turned it off.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 19, 2018, 08:09:50 PM
I tried watching it a few years ago but it was just a little too ridiculous for me.  I think I got to the part where the Soviets were in a swamp and the white Tiger was parked right in front of them and nobody could see it but the driver and then I turned it off.

I don't remember that bit. The gunner and loader certainly saw it several times.

I mean, yeah, it's pretty fantasy-related and the Tiger is like a ghost, but if you try not to look at it like a Barth scientist you might get enjoyment out of it. :P

Also pretty sure Barth is working on ghost tanks in his secret underground lair, so what do I know.