MLRS Operations

Started by bayonetbrant, May 13, 2014, 09:30:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

He wasn't an MLRS BN CDR until after I left for college.  He spent most of my time growing up either as a FAO or in the nuke business
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

taijeronv

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 15, 2014, 06:13:43 AM
Quote from: taijeronv on May 14, 2014, 11:38:07 PMDuring that period Binford Peay the III was the 101st commander

His ADC-M was Hugh Shelton - yes, that Hugh Shelton - whose son was a year ahead of me in ROTC and who, as XVIII Corps Commander, commissioned our class in '94.

I didn't know that. 

Here's some more of my commanders:

More BN And DIVARTY/BDE Commanders:
Raymond E. Haddock, 9th DIVARTY
Ralph "The Ranger" Mitchell, 1/11 FA
Nick "Nuclear Nick" Harris, 1/11 FA (I remember him rummaging in a dumpster, looking for a weapon that had been stolen during an EDRE)
Don Gentry, 3-27 FAR (MLRS)
Calvin Meyer, 3-27 FAR (MLRS). (LTC Meyer was my FDO when I was a PFC.  I retired while he was my BN commander.  Gentry and him were roommates in Texas A&M)
Hank "Hammerin Hank" Stratman, 1ID DIVARTY

Some BTRY Commanders:
CPT John "John Boy" O'Sullivan, A 1/11 FA, "Alphagators" (When I got to West Point I met his son by chance.  He was a Cow or Yuk at the time)
CPT Jose M. Acevedo, A/76 FA (MLRS) "Rockets of The Marne"
CPT Stephen "Stevie J" McHugh, A/76 FA (MLRS)
CPT Richard Thewes, B/6 FA (MLRS)
CPT Jerald Hajek, B/6 FA (MLRS)
CPT Anthony Ortelli, C 3-27 FAR (MLRS)
CPT James W. Vizzard, C 3-27 FAR "Charlie Rock" (I would later serve with him in Afghanistan where he was the BN commander for 1-6 FA.  I was a civilian contractor at the time)
CPT Jeremy Moore, A 6-37 FAR (MLRS)

When I retired in '01 the Army still had CAS3 at Leavenworth.  I got to see all of my former LTs from Korea and Bragg.  But what was more fun was getting to see a bunch of my former BTRY commanders going through CGSOC/ILE as Majors.  They were all grownup, and a little bit smarter and wiser.  And I got to call them by their first names.  On second thought I couldn't bring myself to do that.  Once an NCO always an NCO, it didn't feel right.