Join the Space Corps!

Started by bayonetbrant, June 30, 2017, 10:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

No, seriously.  The US is creating a separate Space Corps

https://federalnewsradio.com/defense-news/2017/06/house-panel-votes-to-split-air-force-create-new-u-s-space-corps/

QuoteAs part of its version of the 2018 Defense authorization bill, the House Armed Services Committee voted late Wednesday night to create a sixth branch of the U.S. armed forces: the U.S. Space Corps, which would absorb the Air Force's current space missions.

You could be forgiven if you haven't been closely following the debate about creating the nation's first new military service since 1947. Several members of the panel said they themselves were blindsided by the proposal, and staged an unsuccessful effort to block the change until it could be studied further — or at least until the full committee had held at least one hearing on the subject.

Rep. Michael Turner (R-Ohio) said he only learned about the proposal last week, when it first came before the subcommittee on strategic forces.

"I chastised my staff and said, 'How could I not know that this was happening?' They said, 'Well, they had a meeting about it and you missed it,'" Turner said. "A meeting is certainly not enough. Maybe we do need a space corps, but I think this bears more than just discussions in a subcommittee. We have not had Secretary Mattis come before us and tell us what this means. We have not heard from the secretary of the Air Force. There's a whole lot of work we need to do before we go as far as creating a new service branch."

(more at the link)

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Steelgrave

Officer Candidates will doubtless be referred to as "Space Cadets"   :))

(of course the D.I.s will continue to refer to them as "maggots")

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Damn. I had big plans for 2036.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

All of those and much more!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Gusington

Nice. Don't eat any 5 Guys before then. I just made that error and it is not working out for me.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

I'm going to stay away from any discussion of you eating 5 Guys.

Gusington

This is the third time I've had it and the last.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

Quote from: Gusington on June 30, 2017, 12:33:26 PM
This is the third time I've had it and the last.

Too much awesomeness for you to handle?

mirth

Gus can usually handle a lot of beef.