Main Menu

Constantine

Started by Nefaro, November 16, 2014, 06:04:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

One of the rare few 'Network television' series I have DVR'd.  The only one right now.

While some of the situations in the show have been uncomfortably forced (only two I can think of right now), I still think the first few episodes have been well worth a watch if you're into the theme.  Enough to instantly watch the latest episode when I first see the next episode appear on my list.   O0  The special effects aren't bad for a tv show, either.

I enjoyed the movie from a few years back quite a bit.  The supernatural demon-fighting theme is often enjoyable, notably so with a cursed warlock as the main character.  Hopefully the writing doesn't get too stale and we start seeing fewer forced situations after these first few episodes establish the staple characters.  Turns out the IP is one of the few from DC Comics that I actually like (it is DC, right?).

Staggerwing

I've been watching it as well. this Constantine is certainly an entirely different guy from the Keanu Reeves version. I recall reading that the comic book writers originally wanted Constantine to look like the musician Sting. The current series get much closer to that.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Nefaro

I'm not all that hyped on the actor they chose.  But it's not like you need to go far to one-up Keanu Reeves' acting.  ;D

Their sometimes nonsensical character-dropping isn't great either.  But overall it's a fun gig.

JasonPratt

Yes, it's DC, by the way. Same continuity as Justice League, so he's on the new JLDark team (which has a movie being planned).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bayonetbrant

I watched one episode.  It wasn't bad, but I jsut don't know that I have the motivation to keep up with it weekly so I can stay with all the mythos / backstory

Maybe it'll become a NetFlix binge-watch some time
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JasonPratt

I should probably add that the character, as written, is almost the opposite of John Constantine in the books.

(Not that I personally know or care much about that character, but I've seen fans complaining in detail.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!