Syfy: Ascension

Started by DoctorQuest, November 23, 2014, 10:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 24, 2014, 06:32:27 PM
Quote from: mirth on November 24, 2014, 03:36:57 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on November 24, 2014, 01:12:27 PM
Does it explain why they changed their name to that "SyFy" gibberish?  :tickedoff:

There is no valid explanation for that.

Nor is there one for SS Doomtrooper, Sharknado, Komodo Vs. Cobra, Supergator, Sharktopus, Mongolian Death Worm, Mansquito, Frankenfish, Arachnoquake, ad nauseum, ad infinitum...

Wrong. Those names are clearly awesome. The products, not necessarily so much (though I've actually heard tolerable things about some of them).

Would that they had expended the same energy in coming up with a ridiculous new name for their channel if they didn't want to be serious about it anymore.

Well, we all know that whoever bought the channel legitimately wanted it to die for some reason that only makes sense to heartless accountants. Under those circumstances, we may one day be grateful for them being able to do as... 'well' (for want of a better word)... so as to convince the bean counters the channel is worth bringing back for serious sf/f material.

(They're probably also looking at the moderate to runaway successes of respectable-if-not-always-entirely-serious spec fiction on other cable networks and thinking WE COULD HAVE BEEN GETTING ALL THAT MONEY OURSELVES!)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Centurion40

Quote from: DoctorQuest on November 23, 2014, 10:32:03 PM
As a child of the 60's myself this looks very interesting. Three night mini-series starting December 15th.

I first encountered the concept of the Orion nuclear powered ship while watching the original Cosmos. The concept was also used in "Footfall".

http://www.syfy.com/ascension/about

One of the female leads is Tricia Helfer of Battlestar Gallactica fame.

Looks good, but sounds like a soap opera knock-off of a Doctor Who episode!
Any time is a good time for pie.

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Centurion40 on November 25, 2014, 10:14:04 AM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on November 23, 2014, 10:32:03 PM
As a child of the 60's myself this looks very interesting. Three night mini-series starting December 15th.

I first encountered the concept of the Orion nuclear powered ship while watching the original Cosmos. The concept was also used in "Footfall".

http://www.syfy.com/ascension/about

One of the female leads is Tricia Helfer of Battlestar Gallactica fame.

Looks good, but sounds like a soap opera knock-off of a Doctor Who episode!

To be honest there have been some recent seasons of Doctor Who that got a little soapy for my tastes. It has never been a show that can afford a lot of self-examination and angst.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Centurion40

Yep.  Let's hope Ascension is a good show, all around.
Any time is a good time for pie.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: DoctorQuest on November 26, 2014, 11:55:13 AM

To be honest there have been some recent seasons of Doctor Who that got a little soapy for my tastes. It has never been a show that can afford a lot of self-examination and angst.

how so?  Ive rather liked the arcs from 11 and 12.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.