ST:THG Season 2

Started by GDS_Starfury, November 26, 2014, 01:03:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

You've opened a can of worms with this thread. I found myself watching TNG on Netflix last night.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

GDS_Starfury

And I was watching you on webcam.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

mirth

You made more tissue babies didn't you?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

GDS_Starfury

Nah, I made some money streaming the feed to some chat roulette channels.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: endfire79 on December 10, 2014, 05:51:08 PM
SirAndrewD: season 1 'justice' and the cast costumes + seeing Riker zapped by Ferengis was a guilty pleasure :)

Indeed.  Season 1 was probably closest to Roddenberry's vision of Star Trek.  Only The Cage and Star Trek TMP were more pure products. 

They really dropped the ball with the Ferengi.  They wanted them to be the new big bad, and seeded in a bit with the bug race that was to be the Borg near the end of the season.  Sadly, they botched both so completely that they had to completely re-imagine the Borg and eventually replace the Ferengi with the Cardassians. 

That first episode with the Ferengi was abysmal and cringe worthy.  I remember all the build up back in '80's to seeing the new Star Trek villains, and only to be presented with that horrible, mess of unintentional comedy. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on December 10, 2014, 06:38:04 PM
And don't get me started on how Zephram Cochrane was all of a sudden from post-apocalyptic Earth. Totally contradicting TOS.

Not to mention he was supposed to be from Alpha Centauri and have two opposable thumbs, not from freakin' Earth.

OJsDad

From reading this, it doesn't sound like there was any real solid background on Cochrane and what there was was all over the board;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zefram_Cochrane
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

Watch TOS episode Metamorphosis. That Zephram Cochrane and the one in First Contact have very little in common.

JasonPratt

Quote from: mirth on December 10, 2014, 06:38:04 PM
I liked First Contact as a standalone film, but it was about as much a departure from established canon as the JJ Abrams movies.

It also had an utter ton of straight-up plot nonsense; though like JJTrek the nonsense was nicely packaged so I still enjoy it more than any other TNG movie.

"Mr. Plinkett" from RedLetterMedia is most famous for his scathing critiques of the Star Wars prequels, but he also critted all the Next Gen movies.

I think the only place to get the full review in one video is at the RLM site itself (doesn't run on my browser anymore, couldn't find the full thing on YT), but the four parts on YT start here:

RLM's YT list for all their non-SW reviews (but including comments about the new trailer) can be found here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7Lr8cdZwHQ&index=15&list=PL2CCF5FDA9CEEBDB8, including all TNG movie reviews.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

SirAndrewD

To me, late Berman/Braga Star Trek was worse than anything before or since. 

I honestly refused to refer to the Next Gen films, Voyager or Enterprise as Star Trek.  I called it, and I think rightfully, Time Trek. 

They honestly COULD NOT come up with a storyline that did not involve time travel.  It was miles worse than their whoring out of the Borg (although that was bad too).
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

OJsDad

The ST Universe has always seemed herky-jerky to me.  It's like they come up with a new idea and just don't bother to see how it should fit into the canon on the universe.

Enterprise's biggest problem is that they tried to fit it into the TOS universe.  They should have just come and said, we're reinventing the universe.  If they would have done that and tied it in to some new movies, I think it would have succeeded. 

Same with Voyager.  They had a great opportunity to abandon a lot of the ST universe simply because it no longer applied and do things they couldn't before.  But they gave that up for a large Borg fest.  I liked the Borg, but it forced to much tie in with TNG.

I never did watch the last few seasons of DS9.  But I got the feeling that it was more a story on it's own.  Built in the ST universe, but not with all of the baggage. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

DS9 was outstanding. Best of the Treks post TNG. And it was the one that did the most to chart its own course.

mirth

The Dominion War stuff was brilliant. That's when DS9 really kicked into high gear.

BanzaiCat

I definitely put DS9 at the top of my list. Excellent writing and the best, bar none, episode of any Star Trek series, ever (The Visitor). It starts of well and just gets stronger the further along it goes.

Originally I didn't want to like it at all - I mean, come on...Star Trek on a space station? YAAWN. I could not have been more wrong.

It's really too bad they never did a DS9 movie.

Staggerwing

I missed the last two seasons of DS9 due to my work schedule at the time. I've been meaning to watch them but I'm just not sure where to start. Since it's been so many years I need to rewatch a few earlier seasons to get my footing but where to start? I don't have the time to begin at the beginning however.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys