To the cinema TWICE today...The Hobbit at 12:20 and Kajaki at 18:10

Started by JudgeDredd, December 13, 2014, 04:44:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

So - twice to the cinema today.

First up is The Hobbit:The Battle of the Five Armies at 12:20 with my daughter for her birthday and then Kajaki at 18:10

Impressions to come.

For anyone not in the know and who wants to know more about Kajaki - here's the trailer

I won't give the wiki of the incident because of spoilers - but you can find out more if you wish...it's about a group of Para's being caught in a minefield and trapped...and what happens
Alba gu' brath

MikeGER

Great  :)

Two times battle Good against Evil

...it just occured to me that Saurons Eye is gimballed over the cresent moon  :o

...how could JRR Tolkin knew ^-^   

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

So - just got back from seeing The Hobbit:The Battle of the Five Armies.

My review is thus

WOW

That's actually all I've got...wow.  O0
Alba gu' brath

Sir Slash

WOW can be good or bad. I'm assuming it's a good WOW. I hope this film's great but the first 2 disappointed me with the changes to Tolkien's story and it's obvious attempt to be the new LOTR. I'll be seeing it come Wed. and just have to wait impatiently. :tickedoff: Did you go 3D Dredd?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

BanzaiCat

So the Hobbit movies are decent?

I've not seen any of them. I've seen the LotR trilogy but the Hobbit movies just didn't interest me/motivate me to want to go see them.

JudgeDredd

Ok - sorry for the "tease" - but I was really awestruck with it.

WOW is f*cking great. Superb. Fantastic. Marvellous. Excellent. Stupendous.

Disclaimer - I liked The Hobbit trilogy more than the LotR trilogy. I preferred the story and I definitely warmed more to Bilbo Baggins than I did to Frodo. Also, I hadn't read any of the books...though we did get The Hobbit read to us daily in Primary School as a project...but that was 40 years ago. Still - there's a line in the film that I definitely remember from the book (I think)...when the line was spoken, it definitely hit me I knew it.

I don't like 3D. Heresy I know, so it was 2D for me. If 3D is done well, I would imagine, given a lot of the scenes, that it would be fantastic in 3D. I should've went to see it in 3D...Peter Jackson, of Avatar, was involved and whatever you thought of that story, that has been the best 3D movie I have ever seen.

Battles - superb
Characters - fantastic
Story - excellent

My daughter and I thought it was over pretty quick - and that's always a good thing I think.

So I loved it - but I did like the trilogy and I had no real prior knowledge of the books - Hobbit or LotR.
Alba gu' brath

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JudgeDredd

Kajaki was absolutely amazing. Very moving and they nailed the British soldier banter

Two fantastic movies in one day....how good can life be!  O0
Alba gu' brath

JasonPratt

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 13, 2014, 11:54:27 AM
Ok - sorry for the "tease" - but I was really awestruck with it.

WOW is f*cking great. Superb. Fantastic. Marvellous. Excellent. Stupendous.

Flawless? Staggering? Perfect? (Crap, I can't remember any of the other praises by Bilbo for the dragon armor. In my defense, I played Gollum and Smaug's voice for the children's play, so I didn't have to memorize those lines -- or any dragon lines actually since I could read those from the script. Bro, btw, was Gandalf. Explaining all this to the nieces is great.  :coolsmiley: )

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on December 13, 2014, 11:30:35 AM
So the Hobbit movies are decent?

For various values of decent, uhhhh, sure!  >:D

(The first two had a lot of problems, some endemic to the book, some foisted by PJ & Co. But they had a lot going for them, too. Haven't seen the 3rd yet. Kind of cringing about whatever PJ might have done to extend the cut to Hobbit 2: Electroplated Dragaloo.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Peter Jackson, of Avatar, was involved and whatever you thought of that story, that has been the best 3D movie I have ever seen.

...no? I mean, I'm reasonably sure he wasn't involved in any significant way, or at all, with Avatar. (But yes, best live-action 3D movie that I can recall seeing. :) )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JudgeDredd

Quote from: JasonPratt on December 15, 2014, 02:15:52 PM
Peter Jackson, of Avatar, was involved and whatever you thought of that story, that has been the best 3D movie I have ever seen.

...no? I mean, I'm reasonably sure he wasn't involved in any significant way, or at all, with Avatar. (But yes, best live-action 3D movie that I can recall seeing. :) )
He wasn't....I should've looked before I posted. It was James Cameron in Avatar.
Alba gu' brath

Sir Slash

Right. And the movie was a "Titanic" success. Got my tickets ready for Wed. 12 noon. Looking forward to being up to my ass in orcs by 12:30pm.

Sir Slash

OK. First of all, I got to second Dredd. Hobbit 3 is an excellent film. Clearly the best of the 3 and worthy of the Tolkien name. The movie has a rapid pace, good action scenes, and manages a couple of genuinely funny moments. Great battle at the end which is a little long and predictable but well done. Some of you Third Age TW fans will recognize some of the units I think. The variances from the book don't take away from the story and allows for a moving ending. Great special effects and good acting brings the Middle-Earth story to a close with a great tie-in to the first LOTR. Jackson finally got it right on the 3rd try. Very well done. I'd go 8.3 out of 10 because I'm picky.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers