JJ Abrams to Direct Star Wars VII

Started by mirth, January 24, 2013, 06:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arctic Blast

Horus Heresy would be a terrible movie. Mini series, yes. One 2 hour movie? Disaster.

W8taminute

Oh I agree, someone would have to commit to a very long series.  This reason is probably why no WH40K movie set during the Heresy has been made.  The Istvaan drop site massacre alone would require several movies to explain.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Arctic Blast

Quote from: W8taminute on January 25, 2013, 04:11:19 PM
Oh I agree, someone would have to commit to a very long series.  This reason is probably why no WH40K movie set during the Heresy has been made.  The Istvaan drop site massacre alone would require several movies to explain.

I dare say that things like that wouldn't even be seen, just talked about.

mirth

Any Star Wars movie that doesn't involve Ewoks or Jar Jar Binks is a good Star Wars movie.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Martok

Quote from: W8taminute on January 25, 2013, 03:57:52 PM
^Other than that Martok, do you have any strong opinions on the matter?   :D

Heh. 

Yeah, this news definitely set off my nerd rage.  [sheepish grin]  It's just difficult for me to accept that these once-great franchises have been so thoroughly debased, and are highly unlikely to again arise in a form I might recognize. 

Abrams alone is not to blame for this, of course -- gods knows the fouling-up of both Star Trek and Star Wars has been a concerted group effort (although Lucas obviously deserves a greater portion of blame for the latter).  However, thanks to Jar-Jar, the damage to both is going to be that much more severe...and more permanent. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Longdan

When commercial memory editing becomes available I will delete all Star Wars memories starting the moment before
the first jabbering teddy bear shows up.
digni enim sunt interdicunt

Arctic Blast

Hey, the guy who made a big budget space movie that I enjoyed has been hired to make more big budget space movies? Works for me.

mirth

Quote from: Centurion40 on January 25, 2013, 01:15:41 PM
I'd like to see Luke (played by Mark Hamill) mentoring a group of new Jedi.  I want true menace, death and destruction.  No Ewoks, no Jar-Jar.

Rumblings are that they are going to do something along those lines with an older Luke as the head of a new Jedi Academy.

http://www.movieweb.com/news/luke-skywalker-to-run-jedi-academy-on-yavin-4-in-star-wars-episode-vii
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Longdan

Oh great.  Jedi Academy VII.  Steve Guttenberg as Yodi Yodason.  Gravol to dad's office.  Stat!

mirth

Mark Hamill is old and grizzled enough now to play a convincing Yoda.

Centurion40

Found a screenshot from dress rehearsals:

Any time is a good time for pie.

bayonetbrant

^^ I was totally waiting for a CockKnocker reference to appear, but I didn't want to have to be the guy to make it.
If only they'd found someone other than Will Ferrell for that flick, it would've been all-time awesome.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Centurion40

It still is!  Will played a useless dope, perfect type-casting.

You know that any movie with these scenes in it has to be a classic!

Any time is a good time for pie.

Longdan

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Longdan on January 29, 2013, 10:59:38 PMWhere are Bill and Ted?
in a completely different movie with their own names on it.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers