Main Menu

Shazam!

Started by airboy, April 07, 2019, 09:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

Saw it today.  Funny, good special effects.  A 14 or 15 year old male gets unknown super powers.  Heartwarming and fun you can enjoy with the kids or your grandparents.

acctingman

This movie is getting amazing positive reviews. In the comic universe (one that I'm apart of) it's getting high praise. Some are saying it' the best DC movie since Dark Knight.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: acctingman on April 08, 2019, 09:10:09 AM
This movie is getting amazing positive reviews. In the comic universe (one that I'm apart of) it's getting high praise. Some are saying it' the best DC movie since Dark Knight.
How could it possibly NOT be the best DC movie since Dark Knight? The competition between DK and this is very, very sub par - even non existent one might say  :P
Alba gu' brath

Anguille

I did like Wonder Woman and the Green Lantern.

JasonPratt

Aquaman was pretty decent and well-received.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

acctingman

We're all entitled to our opinions, of course, but Green Lantern was a steaming pile of dog shit

JasonPratt

Well, the writing for the main character was full of poo. The movie itself looked fine, and they had the basic concepts correct -- except the character as written didn't fit the basic concepts.  :buck2: (That's arguably true for all the human characters in the film. The alien characters were written correctly, even Sinestro for the situation he was in.)

One can simply contrast this with the video game sequel to the film "Rise of the Manhunters", which also effectively ignores most of the film. The writing in that game, just as a game, is fine. The acting by the principals is more or less phoned in, but the writing was fine. And the game looked sharp. The game mechanics were fine, too, except for the flight powers which were godawfully hampered or deployed for no reason (when flight is one of the basic ring powers).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Anguille

Quote from: acctingman on April 08, 2019, 12:09:52 PM
We're all entitled to our opinions, of course, but Green Lantern was a steaming pile of dog shit
Well...i've got that steaming pile of dog shit in my DVD Library as would deadpool say....

I happen to like Ryan Reynolds...

Tpek

Quote from: Anguille on April 08, 2019, 02:00:50 PM
Quote from: acctingman on April 08, 2019, 12:09:52 PM
Well...i've got that steaming pile of dog shit in my DVD Library as would deadpool say....

I happen to like Ryan Reynolds...

Yeah, I like him as well, but still, I have to second acctingman's opinion, GL was terrible.
RR made a lot of crappy films, sure he's an enjoyable actor to watch and only gets better through the years, but even he has his flops.

Anyway, I just came back from watching Shazam!, cool film.

There's an issue which very much surprised me, a certain other Captain-Marvel villain that appeared in the film, but I'd rather not talk about it right now and spoil the movie for those that have yet to see it.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Tpek on April 08, 2019, 06:10:07 PM
... a certain other Captain-Marvel villain that appeared in the film...

Captain Marvel villain? Are we crossing the streams here?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Sir Slash

NEVER cross the streams. Unless there's a giant Marsh Mellow Man about to smash you.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

acctingman

I think Tpek is taking about Black Adam. He is Shazam's arch nemesis....such as hand lotion is Gus's arch nemesis  :coolsmiley:

Sir Slash

I thought, 'Dry Loins' was Gus' arch nemesis.  ???
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Anguille

Maybe it's because i don't know the comics

Tpek

Quote from: Staggerwing on April 08, 2019, 06:35:08 PM
Quote from: Tpek on April 08, 2019, 06:10:07 PM
... a certain other Captain-Marvel villain that appeared in the film...

Captain Marvel villain? Are we crossing the streams here?

Shazam's original name was Captain Marvel, and that's the way he went by for decades, long before the Marvel comics company (back when it was a small struggling company by the name of Timely Comics).

When DC rebooted Shazam/Captain Marvel for their New 52 lineup, they completely dropped the name Captain Marvel and chose to go with Shazam as a name for the hero (a pretty dumb thing) in order to avoid confusion with their competitor Marvel Comics and their own characters called Captain Marvel.