What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

Just started A History of the English Speaking Peoples Since 1900 by Andrew Roberts.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Arctic Blast

Quote from: OJsDad on February 11, 2013, 08:31:06 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 11, 2013, 04:02:46 PM
Quote from: OJsDad on February 11, 2013, 12:52:11 PM
Has anyone read the Age of..  books by James Lovegrove.  I don't think they are series, but individual books written along the same lines. 

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/age-of-ra-james-lovegrove/1101073863?ean=9781844167470

I read Age of Ra last year and quite liked it. Chapters alternated from the point of view of the humans involved and the Egyptian pantheon (who in this one had defeated the other gods). The various Egyptian Gods have their own nations of followers who are declaring wars and such based on the wills of their masters, but the Gods themselves are constantly squabbling with each other, too. His way of writing the dialogue of the Gods as being very profane and flawed and not as 'ethereal' as a lot of others usually do was something I really liked about it.

I've got Age of Zeus sitting on my 'to read' stack.

So, am I correct that these are all stand alone books.

You know, I'm not really sure. They would almost have to be, though.

Yeah, a quick look around online seems to indicate that they are all stand alone.

Airborne Rifles

I'm about half way through Six Frigates by Ian W. Toll before I start to tackle the Patrick O'Brien novels for the first time.  Looking forward to it.  Toll's book is very well written.

Martok

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on February 12, 2013, 09:37:46 AM
I'm about half way through Six Frigates by Ian W. Toll before I start to tackle the Patrick O'Brien novels for the first time.  Looking forward to it.  Toll's book is very well written.
Fiction or non? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: Martok on February 13, 2013, 05:31:10 AM
Fiction or non?

Non-fiction.

mirth

Six Frigates is excellent. So is Toll's latest, Pacific Crucible.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: mirth on February 13, 2013, 07:16:54 AM

Six Frigates is excellent. So is Toll's latest, Pacific Crucible.

I finished Pacific Crucible a few weeks ago, really enjoyed it.  That's what convinced me to pick up Six Frigates on my kindle.

Gusington

Pacific Crucible looks really good. It's got a lot of positive reviews on Amazon too.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

eyebiter

Ghosts in the Fog: The Untold Story of Alaska's WWII Invasion.

JasonPratt

^^ That sounds awesome beyond reason, btw.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

I am about to start The Sino-Japanese War of 1894-1895: Perceptions, Power and Primacy by SCM Paine.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

Quote from: Gusington on February 23, 2013, 10:43:31 PM
I am about to start The Sino-Japanese War of 1894-1895: Perceptions, Power and Primacy by SCM Paine.

Ten years before Port Arthur.  I think I remember reading an article in Military History magazine about that.  Japan kicked their ass in Manchuria.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Longdan

Sealing Their Fate: The Twenty-Two Days That Decided World War II by David Downing.
November 17-December 8, 1941.  He argues the war was lost by the bad guys in these critical 3 weeks.
It is a good read.
digni enim sunt interdicunt

Gusington

Funny you mention Port Arthur, 'Phro. After this book I am going to attempt to re-read Rising Sun, Tumbling Bear. I tried to read it about 15 years ago and couldn't finish it.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

bob48

That sounds interesting Dan. I'm gonna see if I can see it on amazon.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!