What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob48

Still, it must have given you a good insight as to the conditions faced by the French forces.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Longdan

Especially seeing the enormous amount of US activity going on in what was supposed to be a quiet area.  It was a very busy place.
It is hard to imagine the French with their meager resources in the 1950's trying to achieve a positive outcome.
digni enim sunt interdicunt

Arctic Blast

Quote from: undercovergeek on March 24, 2013, 06:00:35 AM
Just finishing the blood angels 2nd omnibus and then moving onto the ultramarines one

You really should go back and read the 1st Blood Angels one. It's really, REALLY good.

Martok

Quote from: TheCommandTent on March 23, 2013, 08:10:36 PM
I am finally reading the last installment in Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Stories, Death of Kings.
When you say "last", do you mean as in the most recent installment?  Or the final one? 

Quote from: Staggerwing on March 23, 2013, 08:37:11 PM
I just started reading Shadow of Freedom, the new Honorverse book, on my Kindle Paperwhite.
Wait, it's out already??  Crap! 

EDIT:  <runs out the door>

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

undercovergeek

Quote from: Arctic Blast on March 24, 2013, 02:37:04 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on March 24, 2013, 06:00:35 AM
Just finishing the blood angels 2nd omnibus and then moving onto the ultramarines one

You really should go back and read the 1st Blood Angels one. It's really, REALLY good.

as soon as im home ill order it - theres been plenty of reference to it in the 2nd book - i know i definitely want to read it

Thought it was great when Rafen tried to warn the 10k year old space marine about Horus - very nice bit of history crossing as the Angels left to their doom

its a testament to the authors and the lore that reading about the primarchs gets me all excited

JasonPratt

About 75% done with The Dragon Reborn in my grand re-read of the Wheel of Time series. Glad I waited several years to re-read the series after the final book was finally released. Although amusingly, it's taking me about a month per book! (Much slower than my standard read-speed long ago.)

The early books are holding up even better than I was hoping they would. RJ's strategy of having Book 3 focus on the Supergirls and Mat (with a side dash of Perrin) and keeping the eponymous "Dragon Reborn" almost entirely offscreen, was a good idea in hindsight, although (also in hindsight) foreshadowing of major plot creeping to come. I was a bit surprised how much of taint-craziness RJ was already writing Rand into back in Book 2, though -- despite having read that book probably seven times now over the years, I never really noticed that before. But it makes sense considering how taint-crazy he is in this book.

(True, RJ dials it down a lot afterward, but if I recall correctly by Book 4 the LTT personality has started to manifest and it acts as Rand's taint-sink, allowing him to function much more sanely for a while. And I guess it makes sense for Rand to go this crazy by Book 3, considering the stress he's under and how much of the taint he's been guzzling in order to channel proportionate amounts of the Power, not even counting the times in Book 2 he tried to use the Power and got nothing but a mindful of taint instead. This used to bother me a lot but now, eh, I know there are much worse problems looming several books downline, before I get to Knife of Dreams where things start tying up and finally moving forward again at a reasonable pace. I'm not looking forward to the slog from ACoS through CoT, the latter of which I've never even read...)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Bison

I've always intended to read the Wheel of Time series, but I'm not ready for a long term book relationship right now.  It's too soon after the Game of Thrones series.

Longdan

I started Wheel of Time awhile back and moved quickly through a few of them until my wheel of word count began to bog down
in what seemed to be endless convolutions and just plain endless endlessness.  For me it was one of those things you start racing
through and put down never to feel the urge to pick up again.  It is like the books seem to gain weight as you read them and in a doritos
and twinkies kind of way.

bob48

I had the same problem with the Wheel of Time books. A decent, and more readable series, are the 'Shannara' books by Terry Brooks.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

JasonPratt

There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But especially endings.  ;D

(Well, I guess there is an ending now, so that joke is forever after spoiled. Come to think of it, Tor has been using a version of that joke as a marketing tagline!  :o )

Anyway, yes, it gets very twinkie-bloated in the middle. I've heard from reliable sources that it trims down to fighting form in the last four books, but I sure don't blame anyone for wanting to avoid having to wade through the corpulence at all. Fortunately I enjoyed the story a lot through Book 6, and even for a couple books after that on prior re-reads (which surprised me, as I was hugely disappointed in Books 7 and 8 when I first read them).

So I'm only really worried about Book 9 (which I finished and then quit the series until I heard better of it) and 10 (which I didn't hear better about and so quit until I heard it was not only finished but ended respectably.)

But I know some fans who quit after Book 5 (The Fires of Heaven, which to me is still the series' high water mark) or even Book 4 (The Shadow Rising) for plot-creep bloat. Or even after only Book 3 when what was promised to be a trilogy lost all sense of planning any plot progression in advance!  :P
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Longdan

Gusington

Dan you still reading Embers of War? I'm thinking of picking it up.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Longdan

Yes I am.  I have just started.  It is very well written but big.  I read fast but I also read 4 or 5 books at a time.
BTW I am taking my daughter down to Vulcan this summer.  You would find it interesting for a minute or two but
it is rather cheezy.

Windigo

Quote from: Longdan on March 25, 2013, 02:20:34 PM
Yes I am.  I have just started.  It is very well written but big.  I read fast but I also read 4 or 5 books at a time.
BTW I am taking my daughter down to Vulcan this summer.  You would find it interesting for a minute or two but
it is rather cheezy.

cheezy doesn't begin to descibe it... and the journey through Bumblephuk Alberta
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Longdan

Would you rather go to Vulcan or Vauxhall?  I can set you up with a hot date in Hobbema if you want.