What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arctic Blast

Ripped through the Marvel Heroic Roleplaying core book, At the Mountains of Madness and the third and last Hunger Games book in about a week and a half. Now I'm on to Unholy Night (some sort of an alternate take on the Three Wise Men).

Gusington

^How do you read so fast? You some kinda "jenius"?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Gusington on May 26, 2012, 05:57:28 PM
^How do you read so fast? You some kinda "jenius"?

Yes. Yes I am.

Or something.

Gusington

Impressive. With my hellish long commute I now tear through 400-500 pages every couple of weeks and I am happy with that. That has also led me to purchase more titles.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Gusington on May 27, 2012, 08:45:00 PM
Impressive. With my hellish long commute I now tear through 400-500 pages every couple of weeks and I am happy with that. That has also led me to purchase more titles.

Well, the three that I mentioned aren't massive. I think the Marvel book was about 200 pages, Mountains of Madness is barely over 100 and the Hunger Games trilogy is not exactly word packed.  ;D

MIGMaster

I like the books you can color  ;)

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

DoctorQuest

Almost done with "The Great Book of Amber" which is the 10 volume compilation of Roger Zelazney's "Amber" fantasy series. The latter books deal a lot with the Chaos end of reality and things get appropriately weird. I've always liked the series in large part because they describe a sort of an "everyman's" fantasy world. The language and character behavior is more 20th century than other fantasy books I've read.

Getting ready re-read Asimov's "Foundation Trilogy" for about the zillionth time. Saving the second part of my re-read of "Flight of the Intruder" for my biz trip next week.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Bison

Quote from: DoctorQuest on June 03, 2012, 03:26:52 AM
Getting ready re-read Asimov's "Foundation Trilogy" for about the zillionth time.

Fantastic trilogy. I just read it again this past winter.

bob48

^ Yeah Bison, I still go back and read it now and again, although I was not so keen on the follow-on stories, the original trilogy is just sooo good.

Same with LotR, which I first read back in the 1960's. I guess I must have read it around 20 times over the years, its just such a great book.

For SciFi with a bit of a difference, the 'Foreigner' series by C.J.Cherryh is good. I got Mrs Bob hooked on them and she ripped through the first 12 books in short order, I'm now waiting for book 13, so there will be a battle to see who gets it first!

I enjoyed the Nights Dawn trilogy by Peter.F.Hamilton, although it did take a bit of getting through at times, it was worth the effort, although I thought the end was a bit contrived.

Iain M Banks 'Culture' books are very re-readable, I've on my way through them again ATM, and the Terry Pratchett 'Disc World' books are always good for a bit of light relief.

Just recently, me and she read the Dark Tower series by Stephen King which we enjoyed very much.

Too many books to read - not enough time - thats the problem ::)
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Arctic Blast

Finished Unholy Night. REALLY liked it. His previous books were good, but I think that this one was a step up. It isn't so much a satirical type of thing as it is his own version of just who the Three Wise Men really were, and what the motivations of the other people involved actually were. And he clearly puts a ton of time in to researching the world these stories take place in. I loved this one.

I also read Marv Levy's book Where Else Would You Rather Be. It was actually pretty good, and the guy's pretty funny. Spent a lot more time covering his life and growth than just telling football stories, but there were plenty of those as well. The only real problem I had with it is that, and this happens in a lot of books written by coaches, he often overrates his players. Bruce Smith and Jim Kelly and the rest of the big boys were great, but when he's calling Phil Hansen a force and describing Mario Haggan and Damien Covington as great players...not so much.

Now...I'm not sure what's next. I grabbed a book called The Age of Ra awhile back that probably is the next read. It seems to be about the return of ancient Egyptian gods who conquer the world or something.

Bison

George Washington's First War, by David Clary

The Bear Went Over the Mountain, translated by Lester Grau.

DoctorQuest

Quote from: bob48 on June 03, 2012, 05:51:18 AM
...I was not so keen on the follow-on stories, the original trilogy is just sooo good.

I had the same issue. The original trilogy is a bit dated in terms of "look how great atomic energy will be" but otherwise it really stands the test of time. On the other hand if cold fusion is actually doable we could see a lot of the neat little atomic powered devices Azimov foretold. Time will tell...........
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Steelgrave

"Old Man's War" (and you in the peanut gallery....stfu!!!) by John Scalzi. So far it's a somewhat more entertaining version of "Starship Troopers", and yeah, yeah, I know that's sacrilege.

Bison

I've never read Starship Troopers or watched the movie.  How's that for scifi sacrilege?