New 17 Day Window for New Movie Releases

Started by airboy, July 29, 2020, 12:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

AMC Movie Theaters (biggest chain in the USA) announced an agreement with Universal for a 17 day exclusive release window for new movies.  This is far, far shorter than the current 90 day window.  The 90 day window was much shorter than the previous window.

Under the agreement Universal can send movies to direct home viewing at $20 a pop after 17 days.  AMC will share in the revenue stream.

AMC has been reported to be offering the deal to other movie makers.  It remains to be seen if Disney or other big players will agree.

I'm having strong doubts that the movie industry as it existed in 2019 will exist in anything close to as similar a fashion in say 2024.  At minimum, I think there will be a large implosion in the number of theaters with smaller cities having one multiplex and big cities losing 50% or so of their theaters.  Only time will tell if my prediction will hold true.

See: https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/509470-amc-universal-reach-deal-to-shorten-theatrical-only-movie

SirAndrewD

Movie theaters are going to be in increasing trouble as streaming continues to improve quality, budgets and content.   

Add to that the increasingly cheap cost of very large 4k televisions.  I mean, I've got a 70" on the wall in my den, and I didn't even break the bank for it.

I can put a 4k film on that with surround and get an experience that's not quite as good as the theater, but I don't have to endure other patrons, can pause, can eat and drink what I like.  That's driven me to skip a lot more of the movies that I before would've gone and seen and wait till I could watch it at home.

$20 isn't really asking too much compared to what my wife and I spend going to the theater nowadays when you factor in that she always gets stuff from the concession stand.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Sir Slash

That seems reasonable to me but what are the  :nerd: going to do for the next Marvel premier? You can't wear costumes and carry Captain America shields to your own house. Maybe a friends? And, there goes my money invested in Movie Popcorn Futures.  #:-)  But seriously they've got to, and I'm sure will, find a way to adapt to the new normal. We do.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Grim.Reaper

Although I understand the convenience and cost savings watching movies at home....I like the movie theater for the experience.  Sure, sometimes you get the loud people or something else like that, but generally speaking I have had very good experiences.  Love the recliners, popcorn, and just like getting out of the house:)  Sure, a little added risk nowadays, but even when I went before typically only 5 or less other people there.  They just need to keep the chairs cleaned.

Even better is watching at a drive-in, which we still have one that is pretty close....only problem with that is how late they run, I am too old staying up that late:)

Gusington

^I'm just the opposite. If I never went to a movie theater again I would not miss it.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

Going to the movie theater has always been an important part of my life.  The seats, the popcorn, the big screen, and surround sound.  Who doesn't remember the first time an Imperial Cruiser flew over your head on the screen?  The noise.  The awe.  How do you recreate that at home?  No way to.  Now, does that mean that I think theaters can't be replaced?  No.  They certainly can.  And the convenience of home will trump just about any consideration for me compared to being out somewhere.  But, going to a movie in the theater is just an awesome experience.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

^You can definitely recreate that at home with home theaters.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

I will admit, I live a pretty simple life when it comes to luxuries.  I really have no desire to make my home a movie theater.  Sure am glad to hear it can be done for those who enjoy it though.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

I don't have one. I have a cousin who does and its literally a theater in his basement with a popcorn machine, reclining leather seats, THX audio, the works.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Don't get me wrong, I do still like the theater experience.  I'm not going as far as Gus on it. 

But, my home experience isn't as far off as it used to be. 

Big screens are nuts.  The one I have was over $3k at one point and I got it for a lot less than $1k on a sale. 

There are the rare times I want to go and experience the public spectacle of seeing a movie fresh in the theater, but even today that's dropped off. 

I saw the new Star Wars sequels on release, and no one was anywhere nearly as excited as when the prequels came out.  Even less excited than the originals. 

If it releases on time and we can go, I'll see Dune when it releases.  It's about all I'm excited about now though. 

First summer in ages that we haven't gone three or four times though.  I miss some of it but not all. I've felt our home entertainment system has worked well. 

I mean...lets be frank.  I love Star Wars, possibly my favorite property.  But the best Star Wars in 20 years was on Disney + in the Mandalorian and Clone Wars.  Rogue One was good too, but really, "TV" is closing the gap. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Destraex

I feel sorry for all the young people because theatres were probably one of the safest and most accessible a tivities for them.
But as an older man now I am happy that there will once again be an opportunity to see newer movies before they have been "spoilered" in the comfort of my own home. Will I pay $20 though? It will still be a rare event.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"