Midway remake out in cinemas NOV 8

Started by Destraex, June 09, 2019, 04:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Sadly, yes. But I also met some very bright kids too. I taught junior high and high school kids.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

I had a lot of bright kids too, a few became great adults.  I was very happy to teach my AP class during the day when I had one. 

I taught 10th and 12th for most of my time, but the last few years after we relocated back to Alabama I was teaching 6th, and it really wasn't for me.   That and dealing with the state curriculum was enough to drive me out.

I always hope movies like Midway are passably accurate and decent, just because it does a lot to get younger people interested.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

I taught 10th and 12th too for a time! Finance (HA!). Also junior high school (in NY that's 7-9 grade).

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Wait a minute! You mean Austria and Australia are NOT the same place?  :o  I bet that explains why that kangaroo I thought I bought in that pet shop in Vienna turned out to be a Doberman that could set-up on it's back legs.  :tickedoff:  I WONDERED why she tried to bite me every time I tried to find her pouch.  #:-)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

SirAndrewD

:2funny:

Yeah, they're not.   

That "Lesson" day was earned after particularly bad identification short answers on a test covering the lead up to the 30 Years War.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Sir Slash

How did you ever handle Georgia the state and Georgia the country?  :hide:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

JudgeDredd

I went to see this on the back of some posts over at Grogheads.

It was ok. Nothing special but not terrible. It was almost 2.5 hours long and didn't seem like it so that's normally a good sign.

Cons

• I think it tried to fit too much in (Pearl Harbour to Doolittle to Coral Sea to Midway)
  • It was messy - in between these there was lots of wee bits that kind of didn't need to be there
  • CGI was horrible in places
  • Dialogue was horrible
  • Acting was horrible apart from a few exceptions
  • Anyone who didn't know about the battle would've came away with a vague idea of how it came about - though a fair idea of how it went down
  • How did a) an experienced pilot like Dick Best or b) the flight deck of the aircraft carrier allow a flight to take off when it wasn't going fast enough

Pros

• They fitted a lot in - people would have a fair idea leaving the film of the first couple of years of the key battles of the Pacific conflict
  • CGI was bloody good in places
  • Acting from Quaid as Halsey was superb as was Harrelson as Nimitz and Etsushi Toyokawa as Yamamoto gave a great presence
  • Battle scenes were, for the most part, very good. It was very pleasing to the eye to see SBDs, Zeros and Devastators
  • There was alot of action

That's it. Honestly, I know the cons outweigh the pros in numbers, but the pros had more weight to them...the battle scenes were very good for the most part as was some of the CGI - it really did look like real flights of SBDs and Devastators...it was worth the admission fee.
Alba gu' brath

JasonPratt

I wasn't a fan of Woody's performance -- some actors shine in understated, focused characters, like Layton's actor, but not Harrelson.

Totally agree about Quaid and Toyokawa, however. Eckhardt does okay with a rather thankless role that was stuffed in to appeal to the financial backers' audience demographics (and Jimmy Doolittle should NEVER be a thankless role). Quaid disappears so hard into Fightin' Admiral Halsey, that I legitimately didn't know who played him until the credits rolled! (Bro knew it was Quaid, as I found out shortly afterward when expressing my surprise.) Too bad that history writes him out of the plot temporarily with the shingles, though I respected the film for not shuttling him into the battle after all.

I would not be adverse to a sequel focusing on Halsey's career through the war: THE FIGHTING ADMIRAL!

John Ford (?? -- did I understand that right?) appears on the island to get preliminary footage and ideas for a film he wants to make, and I kind of want a whole film dedicated to following him around trying to survive and understand and get footage of what's going on.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

besilarius

Jason, if you wan to see Bill Halsey during the Guadalcanal campaign, Jimmy Cagney did that in the Gallant Hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lINrEHpLrcE
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Sir Slash on November 12, 2019, 12:11:13 AM
How did you ever handle Georgia the state and Georgia the country?  :hide:

I honestly never had to tackle that one as far as I can remember.   The only way I'd ever get that in depth on Eastern European history was if it was in an AP class, and all the AP classes I taught were US not world.

In an AP class it wouldn't have been too bad anyway.  Those kids were by and large on the ball, and a few were going into History studies, which I managed to talk a few out of.

Gusington

^In 10th grade I was the only kid to score a 5 (top score) in the AP history exam in my high school. I think it was World History. I got the history medal that year.  :nerd:

Chicks dug it.*

*no they didn't

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I had a great Social Studies/History teacher in Junior High that peaked my interest in all things historical. I discovered History and Boobies the same year.  :coolsmiley:  Thanks Mr. Lane, for History, not Boobies I mean.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on November 12, 2019, 08:30:21 PM
^In 10th grade I was the only kid to score a 5 (top score) in the AP history exam in my high school. I think it was World History. I got the history medal that year.  :nerd:

Chicks dug it.*

*no they didn't

I scored a 5.   The very first thing my first professor, mentor and friend told me when I got to college was "Don't do this".

I didn't get Outstanding Student in History my last year in University because I was not politically left enough for much of the staff.  A transfer student with a much lower GPA than me got it.   It was made extra rough because I was the president of our Phi Alpha Theta History Honor Society Chapter and Suma Cum Lade. My mentor, a notorious leftist supported me but said I wasn't far enough in the camp of others. 

I had a long and rough relationship with academic history.

airboy

I took a lot of history classes in College for fun.  Did not major in it because it did not look like a lucrative career path. 

I  could not imagine teaching history to junior high students or modern high school students.  I was frustrated in High School with some of the faculty's lack of knowledge.  I would read the book the first two weeks of class and then read whatever I wanted to for the rest of the year.  Just thinking about it is painful.

But on a happy note I married an Ancient History major and we have traveled lots of places and seen almost innumerable museums.  When I would go to academic conferences we would visit the museums and historical sights in the area - while everyone else hung around the hotel.  We are taking a two week WW1 tour (with a focus on the American entry) next fall.  The only place she did not want to visit with me was Norfolk, VA.