Oddest session of Twilight Struggle you'll ever see

Started by bayonetbrant, July 05, 2013, 05:39:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

Yeah... Kev's a bit of a nut at times.....  ;D

Barthheart

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Barthheart on July 05, 2013, 07:27:40 AM
Bwhahahahaha... he's making heads explode over at BGG too.... ;D

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1001685/the-ultimate-wargame-played

It's nice when the fun murderers make themselves obvious like that.  :D

TheCommandTent

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Staggerwing

Must be similar to the whole Grogs v Eurogamers thing.

... and Stratego IS a wargame.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Quote from: Arctic Blast on July 05, 2013, 08:44:36 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on July 05, 2013, 07:27:40 AM
Bwhahahahaha... he's making heads explode over at BGG too.... ;D

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1001685/the-ultimate-wargame-played

It's nice when the fun murderers make themselves obvious like that.  :D

That BGG thread has it all - wargame vs. not-a-wargame, book burning Nazis! It's comedy gold! :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Arctic Blast

Quote from: TheCommandTent on July 06, 2013, 07:19:33 AM
:o   I must not get it...

Welcome to a BGG wargame vs. not a wargame 'debate'. With a bit of 'BOARDGAMESAREPRECIOUSSSSYOUFIRERYBASTARD' hilarity from the people without anything resembling a life mixed in for extra fun.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Arctic Blast on July 06, 2013, 06:15:30 PM

Welcome to a BGG wargame vs. not a wargame 'debate'. With a bit of 'BOARDGAMESAREPRECIOUSSSSYOUFIRERYBASTARD' hilarity from the people without anything resembling a life mixed in for extra fun.

That just makes me that much happier that we have a place like GrogHeads to come to.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Arctic Blast on July 06, 2013, 06:15:30 PM

I'll admit, I cringed when I saw what he did. But that is the exact edition I have (my thought is he upgraded the cards and to a mounted board, so this was an extra copy).

But yeah, BGG is like the place where nerditude and pretension meet.

And Twilight Struggle is a wargame. Or should we stop calling it the Cold War?
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Barthheart

Quote from: son_of_montfort on July 07, 2013, 06:06:19 PM

NOT a wargame.   ;)

TS is a strategic game of political maneuvering. There are no combat units in the game.

bayonetbrant

Can you win the game without engaging in open combat?  If so = not a wargame, in my book.  This is where people who want to use "conflict simulation" as a synonym for "wargame" run into problems.

Not all conflicts are wars.

Not all games are sims and not all sims are games.

It is possible to have a conflict simulation that involves neither war nor game.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Barthheart on July 07, 2013, 07:30:54 PM
Quote from: son_of_montfort on July 07, 2013, 06:06:19 PM

NOT a wargame.   ;)

TS is a strategic game of political maneuvering. There are no combat units in the game.

Politics ARE war! TS is a war of ideology and influence, not a war of armies and soldiers (although there are cards in TS that simulate wars, Vietnam and Soviet-Afghan notably).

IMHO, there are many types of wars - culture wars, ideological wars, patronage/political wars. Which makes TS a wargame.

Not that is matters what we designate it.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Barthheart

mirth

Wargame, not a wargame. Either way it needed to burn!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus