Streaming Gems (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.)

Started by BanzaiCat, December 12, 2014, 09:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

This is only acceptable if you've been in solitary confinement for the last 10 years.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MetalDog

When it comes to shows that people insist I absolutely, positively, MUST watch, I tend to not want to watch it even more.  I guess I like to zig while everyone else zags.  Always kinda been that way.  I'll get around to it when there's time.  Like when I am old and confined to a bed.  Gives me something to look forward too while I am dying.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

I've been married for about 20 years. Solitary sounds pretty good!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

We have just about finished all of the episodes of "Nailed It."  They take three real amateur bakers, give them something next to impossible to make with a lot of intricate decoration, give them too little time to make it, and give $10,000 to the winner (often the only one who makes something edible). 

Short episodes, light hearted, makes me want to make a cake with buttercream icing.  Not a hard core baking show.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I watched the final episode of Giri/Haji on Netflix last night.  It's an 8 part series about a Japanese detective sent to London to try and track down his brother who has ties to the Yakuza.  Starts out strong but gets weaker as the series progresses.  Overall, I enjoyed it because the acting was first rate and almost all of the characters (even the 'bit' players) were genuinely interesting and had a lot of depth to them.  It was refreshing to see Tokyo presented in a non-fetishized way (although the Yakuza angle was cliched) and I actually found the story of the main character's wife and mother to be more interesting than that taking place in London.  Worth a watch but with diminishing returns as the story progresses.

Con

Picked up Doom Patrol Season 1 for $10 on Amazon Prime
It is hands down best thing I have watched so far in 2020
I am only 4 episodes in but it is dark, funny, poignant and has great character development.
Highly recommend

Sir Slash

I saw a very decently done movie on Netflix last night, "The Old Guard" starring Charlize Theron. It's about a band of immortal warriors fighting to better humanity--you'd think if they had been around for a few centuries they'd know that's an exercise in futility-- while staying one step ahead of all of humanity who's trying to catch them to learn their secrets. It had some great fight scenes and apparently Theron does most of her's herself. Based on a graphic novel it maybe turned into a Netflix series if it's a hit. I liked it.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy

Quote from: Con on June 14, 2020, 09:40:21 PM
Picked up Doom Patrol Season 1 for $10 on Amazon Prime
It is hands down best thing I have watched so far in 2020
I am only 4 episodes in but it is dark, funny, poignant and has great character development.
Highly recommend

My wife loved it.  I found the plot a bit too chaotic.

Sir Slash

The Outpost on Netflix. A very good war film about the Battle of Kamdesh or Outpost Keating if you're familiar. Slow start with a bunch of soldiers you can tell apart using the, 'F' word a lot. But it kicks into high gear when the fighting starts with some very realistic battle scenes, and more, 'F' words. About 2 hours but peaks toward the end. Not really either pro or anti-war overall, decent acting, and good action. Based on a book about the fight by Jake Tapper, I think. Anyway, a good film to watch but obviously, 'R' rated.  O0

Toonces

A bit of a necro-bump here; I don't spend a lot of time in this part of the forum.

I did a search and only saw some brief mentions of a movie on Amazon Prime called, Downfall.  I just watched it tonight and it is absolutely fantastic.  I very, very highly recommend it.

It is apparently a true story based on the experiences of a young German secretary who served Hitler during the last weeks of the Third Reich up until Germany surrendered.  The movie is completely in German with English subtitles, but somehow I felt it made the movie even better.  The actor that portrays Hitler is absolutely brilliant.

I felt the movie really did a fantastic job of portraying Hitler's insanity towards the end regarding the military situation, as well as his declining mental capacity; it also captured the nature of his lieutenants very well also, the difficulties they had making Hitler understand the reality of the situation along with their loyalty to him, and the conflict that had with the reality that the war was lost.

It's a bit of a downer, so not something to watch with the wife if you're looking to score that evening.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

Sadly, the movie is better known for the rant scene being used to brilliant effect with subtitles. Some of them are absolutely hilarious.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Toonces

Oooohhhh.....ah, man I'm dumb sometimes.  Yes, I've seen the rant meme and now I get it LOL.

I can't believe I didn't make the connection.   :-[
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

fran

Quote from: MetalDog on June 06, 2020, 12:44:15 PM
Quote from: Gusington on June 06, 2020, 12:27:04 PM
^I'm even later to the party...never seen one episode of it. I intend to watch it eventually.

Ditto

Am I allowed to say I lost interest in it?

Spoiler below:

Got to the point where the 🐔 franchise guy died...maybe bit further. The other half stopped watching before that point...Not bothered to pick it up again. I did enjoy the characters and plot. Maybe it just went on too long.

End spoiler

Same thing happened with Game of Thrones...I heard from others I did not miss out when it came to the finale.

fran

Quote from: fran on January 16, 2021, 02:49:47 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on June 06, 2020, 12:44:15 PM
Quote from: Gusington on June 06, 2020, 12:27:04 PM
^I'm even later to the party...never seen one episode of it. I intend to watch it eventually.

Ditto

Am I allowed to say I lost interest in it?

Spoiler below:

Got to the point where the 🐔 franchise guy died...maybe bit further. The other half stopped watching before that point...Not bothered to pick it up again. I did enjoy the characters and plot. Maybe it just went on too long.

End spoiler

Same thing happened with Game of Thrones...I heard from others I did not miss out when it came to the finale.

The famous movies I've not watched would be Titanic and Avatar

Pete Dero

Quote from: Toonces on January 15, 2021, 11:23:54 PM
The movie is completely in German with English subtitles, but somehow I felt it made the movie even better.

I would say it's the only way to watch the movie.

Look at this dubbed version of Das Boot and it feels you are watching a parody.

You know the French dub almost all movies ?

Enjoy :