No Man's Sky - Too good to be true?

Started by Jarhead0331, June 17, 2015, 09:12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaTank

I've got about 80 hours in to it...so I guess that means I like it. Generally, I follow the story quests. It is a grinder however. Reminds me of a more sedate MMORPG...

So I would not be really happy about restarting and having to redo the quests...but I would say the same thing about Skyrim or Fallout 4.

I still haven't plumbed all of the play features in NMS either. I still don't have a merchant ship to act as my base for example.

But I can see that NMS would not be to some folk's taste. Particularly if you like combat. While you can definately get into fights in NMS, it is not really required. For the most part, combat can be avoided.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: ArizonaTank on October 29, 2018, 02:18:49 PM
I've got about 80 hours in to it...so I guess that means I like it. Generally, I follow the story quests. It is a grinder however. Reminds me of a more sedate MMORPG...

So I would not be really happy about restarting and having to redo the quests...but I would say the same thing about Skyrim or Fallout 4.

I still haven't plumbed all of the play features in NMS either. I still don't have a merchant ship to act as my base for example.

But I can see that NMS would not be to some folk's taste. Particularly if you like combat. While you can definately get into fights in NMS, it is not really required. For the most part, combat can be avoided.

Wow! 80 hours in and you don't have a capital ship or fleet yet!?! That was one of the first things I did after that update hit and building my little fleet up has probably been the most fun I've had in the game so far. Now, that being said, I don't really have a base on any planet and I have not constructed any ground vehicles...lol
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 29, 2018, 01:06:44 PM
Anyone playing this actively?
I finally picked it up for a mere 10 dollah as what I've been reading looks like the game has improved quite a bit and for only a tenner I'd be willing to take a look with my own eyes.
I understand the latest patch even added a whole underwater world!

where did u get for $10?

AchillesLastStand

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 29, 2018, 05:12:15 PM
Quote from: Yskonyn on October 29, 2018, 01:06:44 PM
Anyone playing this actively?
I finally picked it up for a mere 10 dollah as what I've been reading looks like the game has improved quite a bit and for only a tenner I'd be willing to take a look with my own eyes.
I understand the latest patch even added a whole underwater world!

where did u get for $10?

It is half off @ Green Man Gaming right now which puts it around 30$. I got it during their summer sale for around 24.

Yskonyn

I got it from cdkeys for a tenner. Shady? Perhaps, I dont know.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 30, 2018, 03:13:16 AM
I got it from cdkeys for a tenner. Shady? Perhaps, I dont know.

thanks....looks like back at $23 so will hold off for now

jamus34

It's a grind and a bit of a PITA.

But I've been coming back to it more and more lately.
Insert witty comment here.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: jamus34 on June 16, 2019, 03:38:48 PM

VR update should be hitting sometime this summer. That will draw me back in.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

AchillesLastStand

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 16, 2019, 03:56:37 PM
Quote from: jamus34 on June 16, 2019, 03:38:48 PM

VR update should be hitting sometime this summer. That will draw me back in.

This has me excited, the Beyond update coming this summer.
The first component of Beyond we are announcing today is No Man's Sky Online.

No Man's Sky Online includes a radical new social and multiplayer experience which empowers players everywhere in the universe to meet and play together. Whilst this brings people together like never before, and has many recognisable online elements, we don't consider No Man's Sky to be an MMO – it won't require a subscription, won't contain microtransactions, and will be free for all existing players.

I have to give the developer props, when the game came out it wasn't as advertised and got trashed big time in the reviews. With each update the game has gotten better and better. The developers have never given up and jumped ship.

jomni

Huw the Poo

Quote from: AchillesLastStand on June 17, 2019, 01:11:11 AM
I have to give the developer props, when the game came out it wasn't as advertised and got trashed big time in the reviews. With each update the game has gotten better and better. The developers have never given up and jumped ship.

100% agreed.  They did exactly the right thing given the circumstances.

Quote from: jomni on June 17, 2019, 02:52:17 AM
Though they changed concepts?

What do you mean?  The core game has been the same all this time.

Yskonyn

I think I am going to give it a serious look when that drops, but I am wary of the stories of extensive grinding needed. If so, my stint will be short I think.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

jomni

Quote from: Huw the Poo on June 17, 2019, 11:44:59 AM
Quote from: AchillesLastStand on June 17, 2019, 01:11:11 AM

100% agreed.  They did exactly the right thing given the circumstances.

Quote from: jomni on June 17, 2019, 02:52:17 AM
Though they changed concepts?

What do you mean?  The core game has been the same all this time.

Originally they have justified "No multiplayer". Universe so big you can't meet anyone. Apparently that all will change. Hopefully it's a good experience.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Yskonyn on June 17, 2019, 01:24:46 PM
I think I am going to give it a serious look when that drops, but I am wary of the stories of extensive grinding needed. If so, my stint will be short I think.

I think the game is meant to be a relaxing experience and these mods help to achieve that by removing or reducing small annoyances :

https://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/50  Reduces the cost for launching your ship from the ground
https://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/624 Instead of pressing a key for almost one second, this mod provides quicker inputs (and a small cursor as an option)
https://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/1022 Increases the stack size by either x2, x3, x5, x10, x15, x20
https://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/1036 Enforces a rule that substances and products that can be available in station terminals, will be available.

The bigger stack size reduces the grind because you don't have to travel every few minutes to the ship because your inventory is full !
If you don't want to cheat too much just use the x2 of x3 version.

Rayfer

Quote from: Pete Dero on June 18, 2019, 02:51:59 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on June 17, 2019, 01:24:46 PM

I think the game is meant to be a relaxing experience and these mods help to achieve that by removing or reducing small annoyances :

https://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/50  Reduces the cost for launching your ship from the ground
https://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/624 Instead of pressing a key for almost one second, this mod provides quicker inputs (and a small cursor as an option)
https://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/1022 Increases the stack size by either x2, x3, x5, x10, x15, x20
https://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/1036 Enforces a rule that substances and products that can be available in station terminals, will be available.

The bigger stack size reduces the grind because you don't have to travel every few minutes to the ship because your inventory is full !
If you don't want to cheat too much just use the x2 of x3 version.

PD...thanks for the links, the mods look great because the game is a grind and they look to help alleviate it to some degree.  Do you happen to know if they can be used in the Steam version of the game?