Just how lost were the LOST writers? This lost.

Started by JasonPratt, August 10, 2016, 08:58:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Found this on YT the other day and promptly sank... what is it now, 6 hours and a third? To be 7 and a half someday when he gets around to finishing the final ep? (Although if he doesn't that might turn out to be a meta-joke.)

Like the reviewer, I enjoyed LOST and still think pretty highly of some parts; unlike the reviewer, and many other disgruntled fans, I had the luxury of watching the whole thing my first (and so far only) time over a period of a couple of months, including some extra-canonical canonical bits (for want of a better word), largely disconnected from the constant marketing lies being told about the series by its writers and by the network (but clearly following the writers' assurances). So when it all turned out to be magic, and worse an insulting quasi-satire on religious belief ("quasi" in the sense that the series functions as a satire against religious belief but really seems to be promoting such a dangerously vague anti-rational "faith" as something worth having anyway), I didn't have years of assurances that the series was supposed to be hard science at bottom; or (around the time the monster turned out to be mechanical smoke apparently) a little science fiction mixed in; and that the writers had good answers for everything that they would definitely explain; etc. Man, that would have been rage inducing.  :crazy2:

But without that I was only like, eh, obviously the explanation was never going to make much logical sense and they're just making things up as they go along, flicking pickle slices up onto the windows at Taco Bell and not even to see what sticks.  ::) Which isn't my favorite kind of fantasy either, by a long shot, but all things considered, and adjusting for my ideological differences (let us say), I thought very generally the plot worked out well enough. I felt somewhat cheated but not hugely, more like mildly disgruntled.

Even then, I could tell characterization was being heavily sacrificed or outright assassinated starting in Season 5, partly to serve plot constraints (going back to the island primarily) but also just for the hell of it to do something 'new' and 'dramatic' with the characters.

Anyway, I wouldn't and couldn't have the motive to dive into this epic critical examination of what went so wrong with the show (while still appreciating what worked and why), because I wasn't ever an invested fan.

But if I had been? -- yep, I can totally sympathize with this guy. This is Mr. Plinkett levels of quality and critical dudgeon (without the hideous and perverted digressions for that sort of comic value).

Anyway, I enjoyed it, and wanted to share.  O:-)

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!