Our World War (uploaded for non UK TV viewers). Superb BBC series.

Started by TacticalWargames, August 12, 2014, 10:52:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacticalWargames

BBC Our World War..

Started of superbly with the battle of Mons from the UK side obviously.

Can't recommend it enough. This Thursday will be The Somme.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p022wq5k/our-world-war-1-the-first-day

Gusington

Is this available in the US?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

TacticalWargames

I'm uploading it..link soon:)

TacticalWargames

removed

W8taminute

Thanks for the link TW.  That was a great show.  Can't wait to see the next episode.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

TacticalWargames

I will upload the next one:)

Gusington

Thanks man...have to make the time to watch it.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

I thought it was quite good.  Odd music though.

TacticalWargames

Yeah music was odd..but hey ho..however when it all starts kicking off I found the background repetitive beat really built up the intensity..

W8taminute

On the contrary I thought the music they picked breathed fresh life into a tale that is 100 years old now.  Modern age techno during the intro really got me pumped up for the show.  But maybe I'm biased because I like WW1 and techno...and they seemed to mix well with this series.  Don't misunderstand though, this was a serious look at what the opening battle between the British and the Germans must have been like.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

TacticalWargames

A superb book is Liaison 1914: A Narrative of the Great Retreat by Edward Spears. Easy the best book I've read on this part of the War.

Well worth the second hand price if you get a good copy. I'm surprised it isn't up for reprint at the moment. One of my all time favourite military history books.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Liaison-1914-Narrative-Military-Paperbacks/dp/0304356824/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407968729&sr=8-1&keywords=Liaison+1914%3A+A+Narrative+of+the+Great+Retreat

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: W8taminute on August 13, 2014, 04:33:07 PM
On the contrary I thought the music they picked breathed fresh life into a tale that is 100 years old now.  Modern age techno during the intro really got me pumped up for the show.  But maybe I'm biased because I like WW1 and techno...

When I hear techno, the only German I can picture is this one.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

bayonetbrant

Rimmer - please pull those upload links to the shows down

I'm not 100% sure they're illegal here in the US, but we can't afford to stray into gray areas around here

If you want to post the links elsewhere, like your Facebook feed, that's something that has no effect on us; but it's getting a little too dangerously close breaking rule #1 over here
http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=66.0

so let's please clean up the links and make sure we don't get any lawyers involved.

thanks!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

TacticalWargames

OK no probs. Sorry Guillory