Tanks!

Started by bayonetbrant, February 18, 2013, 08:51:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

every Merkava can carry at least 4 men or 2 stretchers.
theyre also now equiped with either the Arena or Trophy anti missile system.

this guy took a Kornet ATGM to the face:

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Capn Darwin

Wow.  :o I'm surprised they let that pic out. Shows a number of details on how and what composite layers are in use.
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

LongBlade

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on July 26, 2013, 03:07:27 PM
every Merkava can carry at least 4 men or 2 stretchers.
theyre also now equiped with either the Arena or Trophy anti missile system.

this guy took a Kornet ATGM to the face:

Is that Mike Dukakis?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

GDS_Starfury

Actually the IDF was very unhappy that got out.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on July 26, 2013, 02:45:47 PMall that AND a squad of infantry in the back.

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on July 26, 2013, 03:07:27 PMevery Merkava can carry at least 4 men or 2 stretchers.

4 men ≠ a squad...  ;)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GDS_Starfury

LongBlade

It's still not a bad idea to make a tank that carriers a few ground pounders.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Capn Darwin

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on July 26, 2013, 09:23:01 PM
Actually the IDF was very unhappy that got out.

I bet.
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

GDS_Starfury

during the last Lebanon party there was a string of about 20 photos of various tank damage that got out.  those promptly vanished from the net.  over the years a few of them have resurfaced and the one I post is the most common.
it is quite the complex sandwich of materials though.

Staggerwing

It does go to show that Israeli tank designers prize crew survivability above all. Most of the outer structure of that wedge shaped turret would appear to be nothing more than a very elaborate (and effective) ATGM spoof. Also, IIRC, don't some versions of the Merkava have a trap-door in the bottom of the hull?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Quote from: LongBlade on July 27, 2013, 08:43:43 AM
It's still not a bad idea to make a tank that carriers a few ground pounders.

Or be able to evac wounded when necessary.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 27, 2013, 10:59:26 AM
It does go to show that Israeli tank designers prize crew survivability above all. Most of the outer structure of that wedge shaped turret would appear to be nothing more than a very elaborate (and effective) ATGM spoof. Also, IIRC, don't some versions of the Merkava have a trap-door in the bottom of the hull?

consider this turret:

now thats the standard Mk2 turret that was already quite survivable.

this is the Mk3 turret where they simply added more to the sides and front without increasing the size of the fighting compartment:

this is the Mk4 turret.  even if they slighty increased the size of the fighting compartment theres still several orders of magnitude more protection.

http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/vehicles/tanks/merkava/merkava3baz_g.jpg

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

And that was just the Mk III!

Is there a higher resolution version of that image available?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant