Matrix Games announce Command: Modern Operations (CMANO successor)

Started by al_infierno, September 03, 2019, 11:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

As I already own Tacview Pro for use with DCS I am curious to see how the CMO battles will be visualized. Neat feature!

Last thing on the want list is multiplayer then. 😜
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Hofstadter

My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Pete Dero

Quote from: Yskonyn on September 04, 2019, 06:54:47 AM
As I already own Tacview Pro for use with DCS I am curious to see how the CMO battles will be visualized.

Crowded.

MrsWargamer

Just a bit too real for me. I want my war games to look like games and not this real.

But that's just me, and a reflection of my past.
Just killin pixels and cardboard

Sir Slash

I don't like modern warfare games, but this looks good enough I may start.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

RommelFox

I still haven't figured out the first one!   :hide:

These sound like great improvements! 

Looks like you can use the existing scenarios in the new version.

I wonder how significant the discount will be for owners of the original?
My ancient Egypt site:
Gods and Pharaohs

ArizonaTank

Looks like land combat will be modeled as well. Or did I get that wrong?
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

IICptMillerII

Its safe to say that I am stupidly excited for this release. I love CMANO, and I've always hoped that we would some day get some type of 3D representation of the battlefield. Not just because it looks pretty, but because sometimes its hard to fully understand what you're seeing on the screen. Looking at a 3D battlespace from a 2D top-down perspective can be disorienting sometimes. ("Why aren't my planes shooting at the enemy plane? They're right on top of each other!") For me, the TacView integration is worth the price of admission alone. All of the new/improved features look great too. I just hope it releases sooner rather than later!

al_infierno

Quote from: ArizonaTank on September 04, 2019, 12:27:38 PM
Looks like land combat will be modeled as well. Or did I get that wrong?

I think we're more or less assuming that based on the dropping of "Air/Naval" from the title  :buck2:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Daroc

Hi,
Haven't posted in long time mostly life took over and no gaming as such.
This however will be a day 1 along with tacview as soon as it becomes available.
I can't wait loved the visuals in Harpoon from along time ago and Jane's wasn't a good game had a lot of bugs.
My pursuits changed to airbrushing and wooding carving (with power arh arh).   

Con

I am not familiar with Tacview at all but looking at online videos of how it integrates with flight simulators it seems like a great idea.  I would love to see if it is a similar integration with Command (ie maneuvering and weapons launches).
Hopefully CMO releases a video with this feature soon.

Con

gabeeg

The feature list is giving me a war game boner.  Immediate buy.
I really appreciate their "game first, simulation second" mentality (and I trust them that they really mean "game first, simulation firstish" :)
Kind Regards,
Harry

Apocalypse 31

QuoteSpeaking of new terrain types, we noticed that the announcement references improvements in ground operations. We also saw some screenshots with high-res maps with roads and similar infrastructures. Can you elaborate on what's in store for digital grunts in CMO?

The answer to this first requires, I think, a prologue of sorts.

People sometimes ask us (or wonder aloud) on public fora "when will CMANO get ground ops". I think this question starts off on the wrong foot. Who is the arbiter of this? What are the criteria? Command v1.x already has ground ops, limited as they are. Call of Duty has ground ops. Medal of Honor has ground ops. Even Quake and Halo and Unreal Tournament have some basic ground ops (people run on foot or in vehicles and shoot at each other, no?). The point being, ground ops are not a binary "have / don't have" black-or-white thing. There are shades of gray. There are degrees.

It's possible to put together an excellent game centered on ground forces while ignoring huge chunks of what makes ground ops work in real life. Some examples easily spring to mind. Where are logistics, attrition replacements, political factors/events, theater intelligence and TBMs in Armored Brigade? It doesn't need them, because it's a tactical game and a superb one. Where is the detailed nuts-and-bolts ground combat in TOAW? It doesn't need it, because it's an excellent operational/theater game. So the threshold for considering a game as "having ground ops" is not "it has feature-XYZ that I personally deem essential", but instead "it has the features necessary to model the aspects of ground warfare that it aims to model".

Command has always viewed ground forces as another element in joint & cross-domain operations, with a primary focus on how they interact with air, naval & strategic assets. This focus remains dominant in CMO.

Blah blah blah blah blah. I hate when people dance around the point.

Hard pass on this one.

....and it still looks like a computer program rather than a game.

al_infierno

Hmm.  I'm reading that answer as a really long version of "Well, the first game technically had ground units.  So will this one."  Disappointing.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao