Whats on your painting table/workbench?

Started by TheCommandTent, July 08, 2012, 09:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Quote from: TheCommandTent on September 26, 2012, 08:49:50 PM
>:(  Grrr.... finished a couple WWII figures up yesterday and decided to spray a coat of matte sealant on them today and they frosted.  Nothing heavy but I can tell.  I checked the weather and not much humidity.  I let the figures and can sit outside for a bit before spray and then shook the heck out of the can.  They looked fine after the spray and even after drying for about 45mins.  But now I come back a couple hours later and they have a light frost.   >:(  The only thing I can think of that I did wrong was spray to heavy of a coat on them... not cool, not cool at all.

Bummer. My priming using sub-par Lowe's primer is still a mistake I wish I could forget. It works OK on 100mm tanks, but I'm not loving it on my Romulans. I think I can persevere, but......grrr.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: LongBlade on September 26, 2012, 08:59:28 PM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on September 26, 2012, 08:49:50 PM
>:(  Grrr.... finished a couple WWII figures up yesterday and decided to spray a coat of matte sealant on them today and they frosted.  Nothing heavy but I can tell.  I checked the weather and not much humidity.  I let the figures and can sit outside for a bit before spray and then shook the heck out of the can.  They looked fine after the spray and even after drying for about 45mins.  But now I come back a couple hours later and they have a light frost.   >:(  The only thing I can think of that I did wrong was spray to heavy of a coat on them... not cool, not cool at all.

Bummer. My priming using sub-par Lowe's primer is still a mistake I wish I could forget. It works OK on 100mm tanks, but I'm not loving it on my Romulans. I think I can persevere, but......grrr.

For stuff that small you probably need a high quality primer.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

Quote from: TheCommandTent on September 26, 2012, 09:03:25 PM

I know. Nobody around here carries Tamiya Fine Primer. I'll probably do another query on Amazon. For a while it was hard to get due to the quake/tsunami.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: LongBlade on September 26, 2012, 09:05:10 PM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on September 26, 2012, 09:03:25 PM

I know. Nobody around here carries Tamiya Fine Primer. I'll probably do another query on Amazon. For a while it was hard to get due to the quake/tsunami.

I've heard good things about the P3 primers

http://www.thewarstore.com/P3Primers.html

Also some mention about automotive primer which is very thin.  Check out this discussion on TMP.

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=234219
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

I've tried P3 and they're OK. Not tried automotive primer. IMHO Tamiya Fine is the best primer ever. Expensive, but it goes on like skin - the model never even looks like there's anything on it.

undercovergeek

Hopefully this weekend will entail painting this guy:-

and/or this one:-

TheCommandTent

^Awesome make sure and take pictures for us!

W8taminute

Quote from: undercovergeek on September 27, 2012, 06:41:25 AM
Hopefully this weekend will entail painting this guy:-

and/or this one:-

Waaaaaaaaughhhhhh!!!!!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

undercovergeek

so, entered the sullen and goth inhabited GW for the first time in many years only to find its now practically a gaming club only - you can buy the game books, the codex, and the WHFB army books - as for figures they can only be bought online either at home or via a link to the studio on a pc in store!! vast stock reduction - i remember when the games tables were in the middle and the entire wall space was taken up by lead and plastic figure kits - no more.

So bought the £30 (ouch) painting guide, some brushes and a painting workstation - will order the two Orcs when i get back home

LongBlade

Quote from: undercovergeek on September 29, 2012, 12:30:14 PM
so, entered the sullen and goth inhabited GW for the first time in many years only to find its now practically a gaming club only - you can buy the game books, the codex, and the WHFB army books - as for figures they can only be bought online either at home or via a link to the studio on a pc in store!! vast stock reduction - i remember when the games tables were in the middle and the entire wall space was taken up by lead and plastic figure kits - no more.

So bought the £30 (ouch) painting guide, some brushes and a painting workstation - will order the two Orcs when i get back home

No minis in the store? That's a WTF moment.

undercovergeek

nope - trees, hills, forts, castles and all kinds of WHFB fluff over here

towers, mines, rocket pads and all kinds of WH40k stuff over here

a whole wall of codex, army books, LOTR books

a whole wall of primer, paints, guides, white dwarf, WH40k novels

and a little PC like a cash machine in the wall for ordering figures for next day delivery to the store

apart from the kids and their games and the revolving demo cases in the window, not a figure in sight

besilarius

LB, ever tried Krylon Krystal Clear?
Haven't painted minis in a dog's age (and Ihave had the dog's to prove it), but when I painted Napoleonics, that was the alternative for mass painting.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

bob48

Strange - I walked (in a crab-wise sort of way, whispering my usual mantra 'I'm cured, I'm cured') passed my local GW in the Metro Centre, and it seemed to be business as usual with a games table and lots if mini's in store. So maybe you have just a local phenonomen at your store (if its in Solihul - then all becomes clear....)
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

undercovergeek

Quote from: bob48 on September 29, 2012, 12:42:56 PM

Strange - I walked (in a crab-wise sort of way, whispering my usual mantra 'I'm cured, I'm cured') passed my local GW in the Metro Centre, and it seemed to be business as usual with a games table and lots if mini's in store. So maybe you have just a local phenonomen at your store (if its in Solihul - then all becomes clear....)

it is, but Solihull's fkng POSH!!

but not their GW