My Challenger II is almost complete - but what should I do now?

Started by JudgeDredd, July 13, 2014, 08:14:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Hi all

My Challenger is almost complete...a few touches (sort the main gun out which I screwed up when my semi gloss seemed to turn into 200% gloss!). I'm debating the skirts.

Now - I was "toying" with the idea of changing the colour...what do people think? Clearly it's way too light (not enough yellow?). I wasn't (am not?) really into mixing colours - so always tended to go with as near as I could get out the pot. I don't particularly mind the colour as is.

The reason I was toying with changing the colour is because I just bought myself a spray gun and compressor and have stocked up on Tamiya acrylics. So I thought I could give it a prime, pre-shading, base coats, clear cover, markings, clear cover and then weather.

Obviously I'm new to ALL of that stuff (I've done some simple weathering with Flory weathering solution) - so could screw this up. Am I bothered? I don't know. On the one hand I'm pleased with my very first AFV build. On the other, it's not what it should be (missing a few bits, wrong colour etc).

Anyway I'd be interested in peoples opinions on these specifics...
1. Should I prime and repaint?
2. Regardless of yes or no, what stages are next? I'm guessing here...
    a. Clear solution
    b. Decals
    c. Clear solution
    d. Weathering
    e. Clear solution

Thanks for the advice.

Alba gu' brath

Staggerwing

I think you should redo it in one of the Girls und Panzer themes... flags and all!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GDS_Starfury

use the gloss to your advantage as its the best surface to apply decals and weathering.  then simply recoat in Floquil clear flat.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JudgeDredd

Well, I've decided not to repaint the Challenger II.

Instead, I finished off the little bits over the weekend and gave it a flat coat to prepare it for the decals...then another flat coat will ensue before I attempt some weathering.

I also started work on my 1/48 scale Sea Harrier. I got it really cheap because it's such an old kit. It's very dated. You can spot the difference a mile off with newer kits, tooling is pretty poor, there are very few parts and there's a lot of sanding to get rid of run-over plastic.

So I put a few pieces together and gave them a prime. I'm going to have to try and do something with the jets

Alba gu' brath

Staggerwing

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

JudgeDredd

I didn't think about that - but my modelling hobby is rather expensive without adding after market parts to them.

Plus, I know there's all that photo etched stuff out there, but I honestly take the view that it's what you do with what you've got that matters (in other walks of life also  :D ).

I know others think differently - and that's cool. Lots of people want that holy grail look and they are so good at what they do that they don't want some sub standard part bringing the model down and that's totally cool...but me...nah...it's me and the kit (and about keeping it cheap!). My kits don't have the look that everyone else manages to get from them. So "extra parts" are kind of a waste of money for me.

The only thing I buy outside of the model kit is the masking for the glass parts
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Decals on and flat coat applied

Weathering next and oh, how I am dreading screwing this up!  :(

Alba gu' brath

GDS_Starfury

from the looks of it whatever you did to the drive sprocket is what you should do to the rest of it.
also keep in mind that the only coat that counts is the last one.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

JudgeDredd

Exactly why I'm worried GDS.

The sprocket all I did was put some Flory wash on it - that's all. I didn't pay too much attention to it because it was the wheels which (apart from the sprocket) were covered
Alba gu' brath

GDS_Starfury

but no matter what you do you can just put a wash of the base color over whatever you do and be good to go.

JudgeDredd

Ok - so I have eventually (after much putting off) started to weather the Challenger.

Basically it's been sitting there for months and I didn't want to start a new model without completing it, so I started today. It was very bland looking and I thought "what's the worst that can happen?" I mean...I wasn't going to move onto another model but kept putting them off until I completed it - so good or bad, I was going to start it today.

This is it before I started

I used Flory Models Dark Dirt. That's all at the moment. I plan to use some Humbrol weather powders at some point.

And this is it at various stages. I may have not been "careful" enough. Looking at it, there's some obvious "brushing" marks. But I do have plans to do more - and the flory model wash is brought back to life with water.

Alba gu' brath

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JudgeDredd

Thanks mirth...it really does. It's evident that a brush has been used, but it actually looks dirty and used now.

I like. I'm looking forward to adding a bit of "rust drip" and some sand wash and focussing on some of the crevices and bolt sections.
Alba gu' brath

Staggerwing

Looks good JD.  O0

Now I'm jonesin' for the smell of styrene cement and model paints...  :))

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus