Grand Tactician, American Civil War

Started by Phantom, May 04, 2018, 01:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Ok so I fired up the game over the weekend in response to the new patch that some YouTubers are saying have changed the game drastically since early release. 

I played for about 3 hours or so in addition the 8 I had put in a few months ago.  I've come to the conclusion that while this is a good game it is nothing more than building up armies in a strategic layer and then watching them duke it out on a tactical layer.  While the economy and industry are very deep in this game there really isn't much the player needs to do to affect them.  Simply spend money and build up your armies then send them out and watch the fights begin. 

I'm bored.  Next game please...
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Rayfer

Quote from: W8taminute on November 23, 2020, 09:40:17 AM
Ok so I fired up the game over the weekend in response to the new patch that some YouTubers are saying have changed the game drastically since early release. 

I played for about 3 hours or so in addition the 8 I had put in a few months ago.  I've come to the conclusion that while this is a good game it is nothing more than building up armies in a strategic layer and then watching them duke it out on a tactical layer.  While the economy and industry are very deep in this game there really isn't much the player needs to do to affect them.  Simply spend money and build up your armies then send them out and watch the fights begin. 

Unfortunately, I have to agree.  Deleted it yesterday after playing a few hours with the newest update.  But I'll definitely go back at some future time when there is more to it than what you posted.

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

W8taminute

Quote from: Rayfer on November 23, 2020, 10:11:47 AM
Quote from: W8taminute on November 23, 2020, 09:40:17 AM

Unfortunately, I have to agree.  Deleted it yesterday after playing a few hours with the newest update.  But I'll definitely go back at some future time when there is more to it than what you posted.

Yeah I think I'll delete it off my drive as well.  I will like you say keep my eyes out for when the finished product is completed.  I still support these guys but I'm done for now.

Quote from: Sir Slash on November 23, 2020, 12:13:54 PM
Sad to hear.  :'(

Yeah.  If you haven't done so already save your money on this one.   
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

berto

Doesn't GTACW have stand-alone historical battles, apart from the strategic layer?  If the strategic layer is a bust and/or the interfacing of the strategic layer with the dynamic battle layer is a bust, is the historical battle layer by itself still worthwhile?
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

W8taminute

I haven't tried the stand alone historic battles so I can't really comment but I will say this.  I enjoy the tactical battle system of this game in campaign mode.  So I would think the historical battles would be enjoyable.

Toonces

I just went ahead and picked this up. 

What can I say?  I'm a ACW fanboy, I have to give this a try at least!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Old TImer

I'll be interested to hear your impression of the game.

Rayfer

For those still playing/interested in this game, there was a substantial update by the developer today on Steam.  To much to post here, but it is a huge step in the right direction.  Areas impacted include policy selection options as well as building and weapons upgrades of armies. 

devoncop

I continue to watch this with interest but will wait for final release.

Feedback seems very positive on latest patch.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Old TImer

I think the game is pretty good.  The AI needs some more work but it's miles better than it was.
And the developers are quick to patch any glitches.  Best ACW game out there for me.

al_infierno

Looks like I'm reinstalling this bad boy.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Toonces

I bought this a few weeks ago, but have only just booted it up and played a single battle for a few minutes.  I hang my head in shame for not giving this more time and being able to post impressions.

I can definitely say it's a very pretty game, but beyond that, I got nuttin'.   :-[   Hopefully I can dig into this game some more this week.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Anguille

Quote from: devoncop on February 28, 2021, 04:39:33 PM
I continue to watch this with interest but will wait for final release.

Feedback seems very positive on latest patch.
Same here