Cold War Game coming to Steam in November.

Started by AchillesLastStand, October 07, 2019, 01:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AchillesLastStand

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1047210/Cold_War_Game/

About This Game
Cold War Game - a real-time tactical strategy (RTT) that simulates interaction of various types of troops. Command your troops, show your martial ingenuity and complete all tasks.

In the 1970-80s, the world was divided into two camps. Ideological systems are at the peak of military, economic and geopolitical confrontation. The arms race is getting up to the highest boiling-point. The parties threaten each other in various ways - from deployment of ballistic missiles in the allied countries to strategic defense initiative in space. During this time difficult negotiations are underway to reduce all types of weapons. Let's simulate what could happen if the parties did not find a common language?

In our game, as alternative history we propose choosing a side in a hypothetical conflict between two competing blocs led by the USSR and the USA.

Actions deploy on the territory of divided Germany in the 1970s.
PLACE OF ACTIONS: GERMANY 1970s
Realize your military tactical conception on large maps of divided Germany of the 1970s, based on historical cartography. Competently use your tactical advantages of the position.
CO-OPERATION AND INTERACTION BETWEEN VARIOUS TYPES OF TROOPS
In the battle do not forget about interaction between various types of troops: cover your ground troops with aviation, defend against air raids with air defense, scout enemy positions, strike enemy troops' gatherings by artillery and replenish ammunition in time.
HISTORICALLY ACCURATE REPRESENTATION OF MACHINERY AND EQUIPMENT APPEARANCE
More than 50 highly detailed 3D-models of military machinery and equipment have been transferred to your command.
ADVANCED DAMAGE MULTIFACTOR MODEL
Our game has an advanced system of registration of equipment damage instead of a health-bar (life-bar). Panzer vehicle schemes correspond to real prototypes. Our algorithms take into account the thickness, type and inclination of the armoured sheets when calculating the damage. The damage mode calculation counts the nearness of the hit to the place of a crew, engine, ammunition and chassis. Class of ammunition, the firing distance and the angle of impact – all that counts in the model. Thanks to this, the planning of tactical maneuvers can destroy enemy superior in strength.

At first glance it looks like a Wargame game clone which really isn't a bad thing. EA release will be next Month.

Huw the Poo

Heh, I was about to say can't you include the damn name of the game in the thread title?  Then I realised it actually is called...Cold War Game.  ::)

Anyway, yeah, it does look very reminiscent of Eugen Systems games.  Which is great!

Jarhead0331

I would say "very reminiscent" is an understatement. It looks exactly like the Eugen system titles and seems to follow the same naming conventions. Eugen gave us "wargame", these guys are giving us "Cold Wargame".  :idiot2:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

SirAndrewD

Yikes.  Is this an asset flip?  I've not heard of the developer.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

CJReich46

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

AchillesLastStand

I hope its a quality product.
I really wish Eugen would have made a Wargame WW2, instead they went with SD1/2 which aren't near as popular. They have also stated they are indeed done with the Wargame series.

On EA release in November will be skirmish mode against the AI only, multiplayer wont be added until on down the road.

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

SirAndrewD

Quote from: al_infierno on October 07, 2019, 09:52:56 PM
That title is uh, hm.

Provocative?

That's what I'd call it. 

After looking at this it's hard to imagine they aren't using some assets from Eugen. 

It goes beyond similar style. 

They don't seem to be advertising any kind of licencing or partnership, so I'm wondering if some controversy might be afoot.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

HoodedHorseJoe

I'm not the best investigator in the world, but I thought I'd be able to find some kind of listing for a company called 'Room 301'.

Since we're making Eugen connections I thought this might be another French company but unless I'm looking in the wrong place, there's no company with that name registered with the French authorities that govern these things (leaving a wide margin for error there).

Certainly not a UK company, at least. Haven't check America yet.

It certainly looks similar, although the graphics seem to be of a better quality than the original Wargame, which is, what, at least half a decade old now?

They've certainly copied the style to a large degree, whether they've done more than that I think is just speculation at this point.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Jarhead0331

My understanding is that this developer is Russian.

Official website...
https://vk.com/coldwg

Couple of other things are catching my attention. No crew in the helicopters and no fixed wing aircraft...meh.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Out for early access. $34.99.

Surprised they would release during the summer sale event.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

hellfish6

In general I have mixed feelings about the WG series, but I'm surprised at how annoyed I am that these guys just ripped it off so blatantly. I was watching a video of a preview build on youtube, and everything about it looked the exact same as WG. I think the guy playing the preview's only comment was that the models looked much better than WG... which should hardly be surprising as the last WG title came out six years ago.

sandman2575

Quote from: hellfish6 on July 02, 2020, 08:19:53 AM
In general I have mixed feelings about the WG series, but I'm surprised at how annoyed I am that these guys just ripped it off so blatantly.

+1

I mean, this looks like 'theft of intellectual property' lawsuit-level copying.

IICptMillerII

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 02, 2020, 06:28:14 AM
Out for early access. $34.99.

Surprised they would release during the summer sale event.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand its off steam already  :2funny:

I made my opinion known about this title in another thread here, but to quickly recap, I'm all for more games set during the Cold War because I am extremely interested in that time period. However, Cold War Game was more of an insult than anything. All of the assets and features are ripped from other games, not just Wargame. Some of the sound files for the Soviet voices are taken straight out of World in Conflict for example.

There is a good way to go about taking inspiration from previous games (Regiments appears to do this very well, being somewhat of a hybrid of features from Wargame and World in Conflict while still being its own game) and I'm all for that. But blatantly ripping other games is just wrong. I'm honestly glad to see it go.

Destraex

Hmmm. Glad I did not put any money on steam yet.

If their were specific assets and the engine etc stolen then I understand it. But if it was just another game in the same vein the same as command and conquer clones used to be or movies then I don't. The cold war is the cold war, It's history and free domain. So are terrain sizes. What would you say if another total war competitor turned up with battles inside of a campaign map set in rome? Is it only ripping something off when it has thus far been unique?

What exactly was stolen? From memory you were saying some of the voice overs?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"