Tanks!

Started by bayonetbrant, February 18, 2013, 08:51:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 17, 2014, 12:25:15 AM
possibly the first time Ive ever heard the phrase uttered, " Wouldn't it be more accurate " when talking about an M-1.  :uglystupid2:
the whole turret on a pivot idea was tried with the French AMX series of tanks and its just not as durable as the traditional set up. 
the cutaway is also taking some liberties with the actual layout of the turret interior and width of metal.

This is kind of what I was thinking, except I would have 2/3 of the gun tube back of the turret, 1/3 in front. The turret pivot would be further forward, like the front 1/5th of the tank. Using aramid or similar high tensile strength material around the gun tube, the kick is pulled at the front. The tracks are so far back you have a lot of leverage countering the kick. The main body is a large seperate APC configuration that can take 12 people comfortably. If the ammo cooks off, the crew is safe.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

GDS_Starfury

that becomes a pretty difficult balancing problem though.  google T-57 and see the US Army's take on the idea.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Mr. Bigglesworth

All you need is a strong rear hydraulic, which you need anyway to actively keep the gun on target while bouncing over rough country. The question is really do you want to make use of new, light super materials or not?

An analogy would be if you put a collar at the front of a machine gun barrel, then pivoted the gun on a gimbal that was bolted down, would the gun be more accurate at higher rates of fire? Compared to shoulder behind the butt. I think yes. I think it becomes easier to balance the reaction of the kick naturally, no pull up.

Could you double the accurate rate of fire of the tank, potentially taking out small groups with one tank? Seems like something worth exploring.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

mirth

QuoteBritish Churchill tanks crossing a Bailey bridge over the Antwerp-Turnhout canal at Rijckevorsel during the attack north of Antwerp, 22nd October 1944.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Barthheart

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

Heavily sloped steel armor penetrated by a 105mm APFSDS dart

GDS_Starfury

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

GDS_Starfury

Staggerwing

Who knew Latvia was so arrid?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GDS_Starfury

the last 3 are from NTC in California.

Staggerwing

So much for my new dream of starting a Dude Ranch outside Riga.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

GDS_Starfury

you still can if you ranch dudes...

Staggerwing