No Man's Sky - Too good to be true?

Started by Jarhead0331, June 17, 2015, 09:12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Cheers JH

I bought it cheap (£15 I think) for the PS4, went wandering about, was getting very bored and then completely bored when I realised I can't jump out of the system I'm in and can't get the juice anywhere on any of the planets in my system. I'm basically stuck on a planet.

I could've started again - but I really, really didn't see the point.

Open world and massive but one of those games that's boring for it.

Time for a re-look - but I'm not holding out much hope.
Alba gu' brath

Barthheart

Quote from: Ian C on July 25, 2018, 06:52:03 AM
It's also now multiplayer by default.

UGH! Really?!?  >:(

Hope that's easy to turn off. I don't want some f@cktard blasting me fer shits and giggles....

bbmike

Quote from: Barthheart on July 25, 2018, 07:50:01 AM

Hope that's easy to turn off. I don't want some f@cktard blasting me fer shits and giggles....

+1
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Capn Darwin

But what if it is me blowing you up?  :bd:
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Barthheart

Capn Darwin

How else am I supposed to train to get I to Space Force?  :tickedoff:
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Barthheart

Yer the rocket engineer... you send Space Force not are Space Force...

ArizonaTank

Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 25, 2018, 07:38:47 AM
Cheers JH

I bought it cheap (£15 I think) for the PS4, went wandering about, was getting very bored and then completely bored when I realised I can't jump out of the system I'm in and can't get the juice anywhere on any of the planets in my system. I'm basically stuck on a planet.

I could've started again - but I really, really didn't see the point.

Open world and massive but one of those games that's boring for it.

Time for a re-look - but I'm not holding out much hope.

I bought the game last year, and became bored with it after six hours or so.  Hearing about the new patch, I decided to give the game a try again.  So far, about 15 hours in I like it...but I am following the story start.  There is much more to like for me anyway, than not to like.  Enjoying base building and hiring employees.  Not certain how replayable it is. 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

ArizonaTank

Yes, you can select to go it alone....pretty easy...question is right up front at every reload.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Barthheart

Quote from: ArizonaTank on July 29, 2018, 06:54:37 PM

Yes, you can select to go it alone....pretty easy...question is right up front at every reload.

I must be dense because I'm not seeing this... I see I can make a game where others can join OR I can join another's game.... no option to just play alone forever.....

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Barthheart on July 29, 2018, 11:22:04 PM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on July 29, 2018, 06:54:37 PM

I must be dense because I'm not seeing this... I see I can make a game where others can join OR I can join another's game.... no option to just play alone forever.....

My understanding is that if you select the first option, you are the host, and only people who you invite may join.

Either way, this isn't an MMO. Everybody who plays isn't in the same instance of the game world. I believe only up to 16 players can be in any one instance of a game at the same time.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Barthheart

Yskonyn

Anyone playing this actively?
I finally picked it up for a mere 10 dollah as what I've been reading looks like the game has improved quite a bit and for only a tenner I'd be willing to take a look with my own eyes.
I understand the latest patch even added a whole underwater world!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JudgeDredd

I don't think I've loaded it since the latest addition...but by far it was the single most boring game and waste of money and time I've ever discovered in the gaming world.

I hope your experience differs.
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 29, 2018, 01:06:44 PM
Anyone playing this actively?
I finally picked it up for a mere 10 dollah as what I've been reading looks like the game has improved quite a bit and for only a tenner I'd be willing to take a look with my own eyes.
I understand the latest patch even added a whole underwater world!

it has drastically improved since its release. Its worth taking a look at for sure, but I think its longevity is still limited, even in its improved state. I haven't tried the underwater update yet. I'm sure its cool, but like everything else, I'm also sure the excitement will wear off after awhile...I mean the water is great, but isn't the vastness of near infinite space deep enough? If that doesn't keep things exciting and fresh, I doubt some lakes or even oceans will...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18