The 2014 Running Football Thread (College & Pro)

Started by bayonetbrant, February 07, 2014, 10:21:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

That's a lot of mentions for players from the state of Alabama.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

This week's MMQB had a few things that made me think... 

Tom Brady quote
Quote"There's nothing that can wake me up at 5 o'clock in the morning on a Thursday in May like getting ready for a day of football"
The dude is married to Gisele.  I can think of at least one thing that could wake me up at 5am on a Thursday in May that would be better than getting ready for a day of football.

solid move by the Seahawks
QuoteThere are two ways to look at what the Seattle Seahawks did when they waived their sixth-round pick, Marshall tackle Garrett Scott, on Friday. You can say they blew it with their pre-draft investigative work on him. Or you can say it correctly—no one knew about the rare heart defect Scott had, and it never affected him in his college career, and, once the team found out, the Seahawks did a noble thing.

Seattle doctors found the heretofore undiscovered heart defect in Scott—one that hadn't shown up at Marshall or in the NFL's pre-draft screenings—once he came to Seattle last week. Instead of releasing Scott because he's not going to be able to perform this season, and maybe ever again, Seattle GM John Schneider first signed Scott to a four-year contract, with a $100,000 signing bonus.

"This enables him to go and see different experts," Schneider said Saturday, "and allows us to either assist in getting him back on the playing field in 2015, or helping him transition to his post-football career. We're just blessed that our docs dug further into the player and hopefully helped save a life."

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Martok

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 27, 2014, 09:10:26 AM

Tom Brady quote
Quote"There's nothing that can wake me up at 5 o'clock in the morning on a Thursday in May like getting ready for a day of football"
The dude is married to Gisele.  I can think of at least one thing that could wake me up at 5am on a Thursday in May that would be better than getting ready for a day of football.
I was gonna say, if I was married to a woman like Gisele, it would be easy to wake up at 5 a.m....just hard to actually get me out of bed.  :P 

solid move by the Seahawks
QuoteThere are two ways to look at what the Seattle Seahawks did when they waived their sixth-round pick, Marshall tackle Garrett Scott, on Friday. You can say they blew it with their pre-draft investigative work on him. Or you can say it correctly—no one knew about the rare heart defect Scott had, and it never affected him in his college career, and, once the team found out, the Seahawks did a noble thing.

Seattle doctors found the heretofore undiscovered heart defect in Scott—one that hadn't shown up at Marshall or in the NFL's pre-draft screenings—once he came to Seattle last week. Instead of releasing Scott because he's not going to be able to perform this season, and maybe ever again, Seattle GM John Schneider first signed Scott to a four-year contract, with a $100,000 signing bonus.

"This enables him to go and see different experts," Schneider said Saturday, "and allows us to either assist in getting him back on the playing field in 2015, or helping him transition to his post-football career. We're just blessed that our docs dug further into the player and hopefully helped save a life."
Interesting; I hadn't heard about that.  I agree with that assessment, though. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

skeptical.platypus

Quote from: Centurion40 on May 07, 2014, 08:01:57 AM28bf19cb3007f.jpg?itok=8R8nm0-H[/img]

I love what the yardage markings on an arena field suggest league management thinks about their fans.
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

skeptical.platypus

Tom Brady quote

Or it's indicative of a kind of perspective/focus it requires to excel in extraordinarily competitive environments.

I'm not sure I ever want the kind of focus that precludes waking up next to the woman I love as hands down the best effin motivation to wake up any effin day.

Nor do I believe Tom Brady is stupid enough to not be aware of his football audience when talking to Peter King of MMQB. Because American football fans would never have a twitfit if a polarizing qb expressed anything other than team first, football second, and waking up next to your wife as only being acceptable because it's better than waking up next to your male longtime companion.

But I'm still a little hurt I wasn't drafted in the first round.
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

Marty Ward

Quote from: skeptical.platypus on May 29, 2014, 12:53:15 PM

Tom Brady quote

Or it's indicative of a kind of perspective/focus it requires to excel in extraordinarily competitive environments.

I'm not sure I ever want the kind of focus that precludes waking up next to the woman I love as hands down the best effin motivation to wake up any effin day.

Nor do I believe Tom Brady is stupid enough to not be aware of his football audience when talking to Peter King of MMQB. Because American football fans would never have a twitfit if a polarizing qb expressed anything other than team first, football second, and waking up next to your wife as only being acceptable because it's better than waking up next to your male longtime companion.

I coulda been a first round pick if they had a draft for the least likely person to ever play pro football! :)
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

skeptical.platypus

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 22, 2014, 09:25:57 AM
and hey - a videogame reference in the next paragraph!

QuoteThe Falcons' 2013 season was like watching an 8-year-old try to win "Oregon Trail" as the farmer — you knew something would go wrong but the entertainment was in seeing what it might be. By Week 12, after the wagon had tipped over in a river and Julio Jones died of dysentery (I think that's what happened), there was nothing left for Atlanta to do but wait for 2014. The offense will bounce back, if everyone stays healthy. How well will the defense adjust under its new 3-4 scheme?

I like both Banks and King because of their willingness to talk about sports in non sports context. It's a heck of an analogy on Banks' part, too.

skeptical.platypus

Quote from: Marty Ward on May 29, 2014, 12:58:23 PM
Quote from: skeptical.platypus on May 29, 2014, 12:53:15 PM

Tom Brady quote
Quote“There’s nothing that can wake me up at 5 o’clock in the morning on a Thursday in May like getting ready for a day of football"

I coulda been a first round pick if they had a draft for the least likely person to ever play pro football! :)

Marty, I can promise you you'd be picked lower than me. And that has nothing to do with you. I am the guy who couldn't get a yard behind Greg Robinson by simply falling forward. (And I've tried, a lot.) O0

(also, the NFLPA is prejudiced against platypus.)

skeptical.platypus

Quote from: Martok on May 28, 2014, 07:27:47 AM
I was gonna say, if I was married to a woman like Gisele, it would be easy to wake up at 5 a.m....just hard to actually get me out of bed.  :P 

If I was married to a woman like Gisele, I wouldn't limit ourselves to a bed.   :coolsmiley:

skeptical.platypus

The Seahawks visited the White House last week and gave them a 12th Platypus flag. Doug Baldwin (who got Golden Tate's money this week) wanted one thing and got it -- a white house bootie.

Meanwhile, Richard Sherman had some stuff to say.

(if for nothing else, skip to the last 20 seconds for a decent sight gag.)

Martok

LOL!  "He's always doing that."  Good stuff.  ;D 

Quote from: skeptical.platypus on May 29, 2014, 01:11:13 PM
Quote from: Martok on May 28, 2014, 07:27:47 AM

If I was married to a woman like Gisele, I wouldn't limit ourselves to a bed.   :coolsmiley:
Point.  :) 

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Martok

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 02, 2014, 08:37:27 AM
don't f*&^ with the punter

http://miketanier.sportsonearthblog.com/a-punter-could-totally-whoop-your-butt/
Ha! 

Loved the quote under Steve Weatherford's photo: "Steve Weatherford crouches to summon Mjolnir, that he may smite his conniving brother and banish him from Asgard forsooth." 

bayonetbrant

MetalDog

Vikings fans everywhere are just wishing for the one thing that makes that even better...the words, 'Josh Freeman, your NEW starting QB!'
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob