The 2014 Running Football Thread (College & Pro)

Started by bayonetbrant, February 07, 2014, 10:21:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

I need to meet another chick that sucks as much as the Cowboys.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Bison

GDS_Starfury

5 black guys beating down a helpless white guy and no presidential outrage.

were the hell is holder?!
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Martok

Ray Rice released by Ravens, indefinitely suspended

The Baltimore Ravens announced the release of Ray Rice on Monday.

Shortly after, an NFL spokesperson announced that the running back has been suspended indefinitely.

A video emerged on TMZ of Rice punching his now-wife in an elevator. Rice was previously suspended two games on July 24 for violating the league's personal conduct policy for the same incident.

The Ravens supported Rice as an organization in the immediate aftermath of the incident back in March, but the release of this video changed their stance. NFL Media's Judy Battista was told the Ravens heard a "softer" version of the events included on the videotape. The NFL said Monday that they had not seen the video during their investigation.

"We requested from law enforcement any and all information about the incident, including the video from inside the elevator. That video was not made available to us and no one in our office has seen it until today," the league said in a statement released to NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport.

Since Rice's suspension, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announced sweeping changes to the personal conduct policy concerning domestic violence cases. Violations regarding assault, battery, domestic violence or sexual assault that involve physical force "will be subject to a suspension without pay of six games for a first offense." A second offense will result in banishment from the NFL for at least one year.

Goodell expressed regret about the league's handling of Rice's suspension in a letter to NFL owners on Aug. 28.

"My disciplinary decision led the public to question our sincerity, our commitment, and whether we understood the toll that domestic violence inflicts on so many families," Goodell wrote. "I take responsibility both for the decision and for ensuring that our actions in the future properly reflect our values. I didn't get it right. Simply put, we have to do better. And we will."

Rice was entering his seventh season in Baltimore, including the last five years as a starter. He was a three-time Pro Bowl selection who signed a five-year, $40 million contract extension in July 2012. Bernard Pierce and Justin Forsett are next on the Ravens' depth chart at running back, but this decision was not about football.

In regards to that bolded/underlined part, I smell possible bullshit.  I have to wonder if the league truly hadn't already seen that video. 

Oh well.  At least Rice is finally getting a more fitting punishment -- even if it is still more about Goodell doing damage control and saving face. 

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 07, 2014, 10:01:53 PM
I need to meet another chick that sucks as much as the Cowboys.
*Another* one?  Dude, that implies you already have one (or more) who meets this qualification.  Save some for the rest of us!  :P 

Quote from: Bison on September 07, 2014, 10:55:33 PM
And so begins the end of all hope in Dallas...

A beautiful sight.  Although I'll admit I'm almost starting to feel bad for Romo.  (I always did have a soft spot in the black void that sits in place of my heart.) 

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 07, 2014, 11:09:56 PM
5 black guys beating down a helpless white guy and no presidential outrage.

were the hell is holder?!
Heh. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Steelgrave

It's a long season, but I'm thinking Cowboy fans may miss the glory days of 8-8 by the end of the year. And Jones wants credit for the 3 Super Bowl wins? What has your record been without Jimmy Johnson, Jerrah? If Cowboy fans voted on who went in the Ring of Honor, I'll tell you which JJ would be there...and which wouldn't.   >:(

BanzaiCat

Tom Landry's corpse could coach the Cowboys better.

MetalDog

Jerry screwed the pooch from the beginning with the way he treated Tom Landry.  He promptly went 1 - 15.  We all know what happened next.  He rode Jimmy Johnson to some goodwill and squandered it slowly after JJ's departure.  I think Jerry is a GREAT owner.  He's just an abysmal GM.  And you would think someone with that much success in business would be able to recognize his limitations.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

MetalDog

I've got to turn the sound off on the SD/Ariz game.  Chris Berman is calling the game and Trent Dilfer is his analyst.  Good thing I am an old pro at watching without the sound from the days that Joe Theisman was calling games.

Bison

I like Berman and Dilfer.  They are far, far from the worst game commentators.

MetalDog

Dilfer comes on the radio a lot and I like to hear him there.  On tv, he talks too fast, trying to get everything on his mind out at one time.  And Berman has been very subdued so far tonight.

airboy

Auburn is looking very good offensively.  They have 2 different offensive sets that have been unstoppable so far.  They go to Kansas State a week from Thursday for the first real road test.  Still, I would hate to be a defensive coordinator trying to prepare my team to play AU.

MetalDog

I haven't watched them yet.  Malzahn is really good at that offense stuff.  He's the mastermind behind the National Championship.  Him and Cam Newton. ;)

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Steelgrave on September 08, 2014, 04:49:29 PM
It's a long season, but I'm thinking Cowboy fans may miss the glory days of 8-8 by the end of the year. And Jones wants credit for the 3 Super Bowl wins? What has your record been without Jimmy Johnson, Jerrah? If Cowboy fans voted on who went in the Ring of Honor, I'll tell you which JJ would be there...and which wouldn't.   >:(

Might be worth reading this, just for some perspective.  I had no idea it was this bad between them...
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11465560/bayless-jerry-jones-jimmy-johnson-dallas-cowboys

I think Bayless is 90% buffoon on TV, but this is a pretty interesting article
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Centurion40

Any time is a good time for pie.

Steelgrave

Quote from: bayonetbrant on September 09, 2014, 08:33:46 AM
Quote from: Steelgrave on September 08, 2014, 04:49:29 PM

Might be worth reading this, just for some perspective.  I had no idea it was this bad between them...
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11465560/bayless-jerry-jones-jimmy-johnson-dallas-cowboys

I think Bayless is 90% buffoon on TV, but this is a pretty interesting article

It is an interesting article. Bayless as the source gives me instant pause, but like most things, some of what he's saying is probably correct, some not so much. The story about the toast is something I've heard before from other sources, which validates the bad blood between the two superegos. I've never heard Aikman or the other Cowboys from the Super Bowl days have anything negative to say about either Jones or Johnson. I give Jones credit as an owner for not being afraid to open his wallet and I truly believe he loves the Cowboys. If only his ego didn't demand playing the GM, but hell.....if I was the owner, I'd likely do the same thing  :P

I will say that as the owner it's Jones right to hire and fire whomever he wishes, and as owner, it's "his" Ring of Honor. It's too bad for Cowboy fans everywhere that these colossal egos couldn't co-exist and that Jones' desire to run the club has essentially run it into the ground. Whatever the history of the Cowboys in the Jones era, it's his mistakes as GM that have led them to where they are today.