The 2014 Running Football Thread (College & Pro)

Started by bayonetbrant, February 07, 2014, 10:21:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Jones' is the leagues new Al Davis.  I'm waiting for him to come out in a cool sweat suit, but that hasn't happened yet.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: MetalDog on September 08, 2014, 10:22:31 PM
Dilfer comes on the radio a lot and I like to hear him there.  On tv, he talks too fast, trying to get everything on his mind out at one time.  And Berman has been very subdued so far tonight.

It could be worse. At least Joe Buck wasn't involved. I would say he comes off like a robot, but he's too smarmy to be mechanical.

BanzaiCat

I always like Summerall and Madden. Even though Madden could be infuriating with his x's and o's at times, they were, to me anyway, light years better than most of the guys nowadays.

Although Don Meredith and his "turn out the lights, the party's over" quoting was pretty epic as well.

Martok

Yes, it's taken from a humor site (PFM), but you have to admit this sounds almost eerily prophetic (it was posted back on Sept. 4)... 

Tony Romo Takes Full Responsibility In Advance For Mistakes He Will Make This Week Against 49ers

DALLAS – With his team's 2014 season opening game against San Francisco just days away, Cowboys QB Tony Romo told reporters that he takes "full responsibility for all of the unfortunate mistakes and poorly timed miscues" that he will be making against the 49ers swarming defense, and vowed to improve upon his disappointing future outing during a press conference inside Cowboys team headquarters earlier today.

"Obviously, I feel bad for the turnovers and other negative plays that will be occurring on Sunday," a somber Romo told reporters. "And I'm willing to admit that it's 100% my bad. Costly turnovers are simply not acceptable, so I deeply regret the ones that I'll be committing this weekend. I know I'm capable of playing better than I will be playing against the 49ers."

Despite Romo's poor performance-to-be, team owner Jerry Jones maintained the embattled QB still has his full support.

"No, I haven't lost any confidence in Tony," Jones said. "I've stood by him through numerous gameday mishaps in the past, and I'll continue to do so after Sunday's struggles as well. I firmly believe that Tony Romo's best days still lie ahead of him, despite the rough outing he's apparently going to have against San Francisco."

Romo stated that his willingness to shoulder the blame for the impending loss demonstrates his strength of leadership.

"I'm not going to sit here and point fingers at my teammates and say, 'we're going to lose because of that guy, or that guy,'" Romo concluded. "The bottom line is, it's my responsibility to lead the team to victory, and I just won't be getting the job come Sunday. I simply have to do a better job of protecting the ball and performing in the clutch than the way in which I'm not going to be doing those things this weekend."
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on September 10, 2014, 06:42:48 AM
I always like Summerall and Madden. Even though Madden could be infuriating with his x's and o's at times, they were, to me anyway, light years better than most of the guys nowadays.

Although Don Meredith and his "turn out the lights, the party's over" quoting was pretty epic as well.

Madden was great for anyone just starting to watch football, because he taught the basics. Summerall was solid until he started fumbling over his words, forgetting everyone's name, and just generally going all 'old man in the booth'.

GDS_Starfury

the Ravens are giving a real beating to the Steelers!

too soon?
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Marty Ward

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 11, 2014, 09:48:44 PM
the Ravens are giving a real beating to the Steelers!

too soon?

The Ravens were all over the Steelers like Ben on a girl in the ladies ro .... errr like Ray Rice on an elevat ....errr like Vick at a dog poun .... errr.

All hell they just kicked their ass.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

Martok

Well shit

Vikings' Adrian Peterson indicted on felony charge of injury to a child

NFL running back Adrian Peterson has been indicted on a felony charge of injury to a child, Lt. Brady Fitzgerald of the Montgomery County, Texas, Sheriff's Office said Friday.

The sheriff's office entered a warrant for Peterson's arrest. The indictment was issued Thursday, and no further details were immediately available, Fitzgerald said.

Peterson wasn't in custody in the county jail as of Friday afternoon, and the sheriff's office didn't have details on any arrest of the football player, Fitzgerald said in a statement.

Peterson's attorney couldn't be immediately reached for comment.

"The Vikings are in the process of gathering information regarding the legal situation involving Adrian Peterson," the team said in a statement.

Peterson, whose hometown is Palestine, Texas, has been a running back for the Vikings since 2007, and he rushed for 75 yards in this season's first game.

In 2012, he was named the league's most valuable player when he rushed for 2,097 yards, just nine yards short of the single-season mark, the NFL said.

Peterson, 29, lost a 2-year-old son last year who was living with his mother in South Dakota, and her boyfriend, Joseph Robert Patterson, was charged with murder. Patterson has denied the charge and said the boy choked on strawberry fruit snacks, the Argus Leader of Sioux Falls, South Dakota, reported.

Patterson, 28, also was indicted for an alleged attack on the boy's mother and pleaded not guilty to those charges in July, the Argus Leader reported.

Obviously, I hope this turns out to be bogus, especially since he's never seemed like the kind of guy who would do that sort of thing.  If so, though, they'd better throw the proverbial book at him. 

<sigh>  I refer to my initial fecal-oriented statement... 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Steelgrave

Quote from: Martok on September 12, 2014, 06:00:55 PM
Well shit

NFL running back Adrian Peterson has been indicted on a felony charge of injury to a child, Lt. Brady Fitzgerald of the Montgomery County, Texas, Sheriff's Office said Friday.

The sheriff's office entered a warrant for Peterson's arrest. The indictment was issued Thursday, and no further details were immediately available, Fitzgerald said.

Peterson wasn't in custody in the county jail as of Friday afternoon, and the sheriff's office didn't have details on any arrest of the football player, Fitzgerald said in a statement.

"The Vikings are in the process of gathering information regarding the legal situation involving Adrian Peterson," the team said in a statement.

Peterson, whose hometown is Palestine, Texas, has been a running back for the Vikings since 2007, and he rushed for 75 yards in this season's first game.

In 2012, he was named the league's most valuable player when he rushed for 2,097 yards, just nine yards short of the single-season mark, the NFL said.

Peterson, 29, lost a 2-year-old son last year who was living with his mother in South Dakota, and her boyfriend, Joseph Robert Patterson, was charged with murder. Patterson has denied the charge and said the boy choked on strawberry fruit snacks, the Argus Leader of Sioux Falls, South Dakota, reported.

Patterson, 28, also was indicted for an alleged attack on the boy's mother and pleaded not guilty to those charges in July, the Argus Leader reported.

Obviously, I hope this turns out to be bogus, especially since he's never seemed like the kind of guy who would do that sort of thing.  If so, though, they'd better throw the proverbial book at him. 

Wait, wait, wait....felony injury to a child because he used a switch on him???? Are you 'effin KIDDING ME?!?! When I was a child and misbehaving, my grandma used to make me go pick a switch and if I came back with one that was deemed too small, Grandma would pick her own. That was never good and I quickly learned the minimum-acceptable switch size for my grandma.

My very first memory is running down the street after my Grandpa because he didn't kiss me goodbye....my grandma was hot on my tail but managed to grab a switch off a bush and she switched my legs all the way back home for running in the street. If she was alive to do that today, SWAT teams would be breaking down her door. I guess I was raised by serial killers and psychopaths. Worse, she was a Democrat.....

Seriously, WTF is wrong with our legal system today??? And how the hell did people my age survive all the "abuse" we received? Is there NO common sense left among anyone in authority???

GDS_Starfury

was it Murphy or Cosby that had the switch bit?

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Marty Ward

WTF is it with running backs who wear purple this year?
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Martok on September 12, 2014, 06:00:55 PM
Well shit

Apparently the kid was 4 and needed medical attention...yikes.

-budd-

AP's text messages on the subject don't look good either. Theoretically I got no problem with the switching up to a point. My grandma switched me a time or two....my dad's preferred method  was a belt, and i also got paddled in school..... i got to say.....i earned every one of those smacks. Didn't AP have a child in the hospital and not go to visit but played on sunday anyway? wonder if this is the same kid.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

MetalDog

What a terrible display of clock management by Kaepernick.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

GDS_Starfury

I dont think AP actually knows how many kids he has.