The 2014 Running Football Thread (College & Pro)

Started by bayonetbrant, February 07, 2014, 10:21:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

In other news, the ACC swept all their games with the SEC yesterday.
But that's OK, FSU's got a week schedule because they only play in the ACC...
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

Who did the ACC beat?  South Carolina?  That's not a major feat.  I'll give you Georgia, but, it was to the Yellow Jackets gimmick offense.  Put your best team, FSU at the moment, in the SEC West and see what happens.  They won't be undefeated.  And Danny Kanell would HAVE to acknowledge that the SEC might be, "kinda," good.

Bison

I cannot even think of one good SEC team outside of the Rutgers Scarlett Knights.

MetalDog

Really?  That was weak.  Come strong or stay home.  Which is what one of those conferences that can't count to ten or even have a championship game are going to do.  Stay home.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MetalDog on November 30, 2014, 10:07:57 AMWho did the ACC beat?  South Carolina?  That's not a major feat.  I'll give you Georgia, but, it was to the Yellow Jackets gimmick offense.  Put your best team, FSU at the moment, in the SEC West and see what happens.  They won't be undefeated.  And Danny Kanell would HAVE to acknowledge that the SEC might be, "kinda," good.

Not the point. 

"SEC über alles" has been the chant all year long.

Well, the SEC just laid a fat goose-egg to the ACC, who has 5 teams with 9 wins or more (note, Big 1014 has 4) and other than the 4 teams from AL/MS, the SEC has been pretty underwhelming, which is tough for this LSU fan to say.  You don't get to deal and scream about SEC supremacy, and then when half the conference shits the bed suddenly revise it to "oh, wait, we just meant the west, not the whole thing."

Sorry that half of your conference is an embarrassment of mediocre parity (cough*ACCCoastal*cough) but either your conference is good or it's not.  And FSU has been hammered all year for "playing no one" but they didn't know Okie St was going to regress to their historical mean, or that Notre Dame was going to tank the rest of their season like they thought there were draft picks at stake, or that UF was going to try to get Muschamp fired.  When that schedule was made 4 years ago, a non-conference lineup of ND/OKSt/UF looked pretty good (and they have no say on UF anyway). 

It's not like Mizzou (who could still win the SEC) has set the world on fire.  They're a less-gimmicky GT, who beat up on a soft half of a conference and might could still have a BIG say in who goes into the playoff, even if they don't.  But UGA was supposed to be the bomb-shizzle, and so was USC (the real one), and so was LSU.  Meanwhile, Clemson and Louisville have both won the 9 games they were expected to win.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Quote from: MetalDog on November 30, 2014, 11:10:14 AM
Really?  That was weak.  Come strong or stay home.  Which is what one of those conferences that can't count to ten or even have a championship game are going to do.  Stay home.

Fine.  The Tide get beat in the playoffs by TCU.  Suck it.   :-X

OJsDad

Nebraska fired their coach, Bo Pelini, this morning.  I figure we should hear from Michigan today or tomorrow on whether or not Brady Hoke is staying. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Bison

Quote from: OJsDad on November 30, 2014, 12:53:32 PM
Nebraska fired their coach, Bo Pelini, this morning.  I figure we should hear from Michigan today or tomorrow on whether or not Brady Hoke is staying.

I don't get the Nebraska firing.  Pelini was putting together a pretty solid program after a decade of being pretty horrible.

OJsDad

I hope they have someone lined up already.  I can see this turning into a long drawn out process that blows up in their faces.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11958376/nebraska-cornhuskers-fire-bo-pelini

Pelini improved to 67-27 as Nebraska's coach on Friday with a 37-34 overtime win at Iowa. The victory pushed Pelini's win total past Tom Osborne for the most ever at the school in a coach's first seven years.

Bo Pelini, who was 67-27 as Nebraska's coach, was fired Sunday.
In fact, no coach in the history of a Power 5 program had been fired for on-field performance after winning as many games in his first seven years. Only Alabama and Oregon -- first and second this week in the College Football Playoff rankings -- can match the Huskers in winning nine games each year since 2008.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

MetalDog

Quote from: Bison on November 30, 2014, 12:21:52 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on November 30, 2014, 11:10:14 AM

Fine.  The Tide get beat in the playoffs by TCU.  Suck it.   :-X

Sour grapes :P

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 30, 2014, 11:23:30 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on November 30, 2014, 10:07:57 AMWho did the ACC beat?  South Carolina?  That's not a major feat.  I'll give you Georgia, but, it was to the Yellow Jackets gimmick offense.  Put your best team, FSU at the moment, in the SEC West and see what happens.  They won't be undefeated.  And Danny Kanell would HAVE to acknowledge that the SEC might be, "kinda," good.

Not the point. 

"SEC über alles" has been the chant all year long.

Well, the SEC just laid a fat goose-egg to the ACC, who has 5 teams with 9 wins or more (note, Big 1014 has 4) and other than the 4 teams from AL/MS, the SEC has been pretty underwhelming, which is tough for this LSU fan to say.  You don't get to deal and scream about SEC supremacy, and then when half the conference shits the bed suddenly revise it to "oh, wait, we just meant the west, not the whole thing."

Sorry that half of your conference is an embarrassment of mediocre parity (cough*ACCCoastal*cough) but either your conference is good or it's not.  And FSU has been hammered all year for "playing no one" but they didn't know Okie St was going to regress to their historical mean, or that Notre Dame was going to tank the rest of their season like they thought there were draft picks at stake, or that UF was going to try to get Muschamp fired.  When that schedule was made 4 years ago, a non-conference lineup of ND/OKSt/UF looked pretty good (and they have no say on UF anyway). 

It's not like Mizzou (who could still win the SEC) has set the world on fire.  They're a less-gimmicky GT, who beat up on a soft half of a conference and might could still have a BIG say in who goes into the playoff, even if they don't.  But UGA was supposed to be the bomb-shizzle, and so was USC (the real one), and so was LSU.  Meanwhile, Clemson and Louisville have both won the 9 games they were expected to win.

I agree with the scheduling argument.  You can't know in advance, whether it's next season or four years down the road, who is going to continue to be good.  And I'll give you that the SEC East doesn't contain any world beaters.  But you can only play the schedule in front of you, for good or bad.  And what I see, for all their faults, is a conference that has twelve Bowl eligible teams.  Once the Bowl season is over, we'll see who has the most wins, and against who.  Unless you would like to use some other determinating factor to make your argument.

airboy

Quote from: MetalDog on November 30, 2014, 12:44:08 AM
RAMMER

JAMMER

YELLOW

HAMMER!!

ROLL

TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy much?

Shame that AU does not have even an average SEC level defense.

airboy

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 30, 2014, 09:00:20 AM
In other news, the ACC swept all their games with the SEC yesterday.
But that's OK, FSU's got a week schedule because they only play in the ACC...

Georgia Tech beating Georgia was a biggie.
SC losing to Clemson was not that great.  SC has gotten pounded by the SEC West.

But two very weak SEC East teams (Kentucky and Florida) almost knocked off the top of the ACC (FSU and Louisville).   So I'm not so sure that this proves your point.

bayonetbrant

Win.  The.  Game.

Doesn't matter how close.  Just win, baby.

MetalDog

Ok.  So, bowl wins decides who's best?  And no bitching if your guys don't make more bowls than the other guys.  What was that you said, "Win.  The. Game.?"  Let's go with that.

Sorry, Airboy.  That was more directed at the SEC haters here.  Although, it was a LITTLE bit about winning the Iron Bowl ;)