The 2014 Running Football Thread (College & Pro)

Started by bayonetbrant, February 07, 2014, 10:21:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Heat and humidity.  Don't you remember all of the talk during the old orange bowl about northern teams playing a Florida or southern team and can they handle the heat and humidity.

MetalDog

I know.  I'm just trying to give a little to the OSU fan from the Alabama fan.  Being an SEC fan is a lot like being a Yankee fan.  When you root, revel and glory vicariously in your teams success, you have to expect the jealous haters trying to harsh your mellow ;)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Marty Ward

Quote from: Bison on December 09, 2014, 08:18:41 PM

The purpose of the tournament is for entertainment and to determine the best team.  So if the #8 team beats the #1 and they hadn't played previously, then the #8 team is the better team.  I mostly get annoyed that all college football boils down to 5 conferences and in reality only about 10 teams out of all of the FBS that are even considered "worthy".  Boise State fielded some of the best teams in the early 2000s but were never give credit even when they beat the power conference preferred teams.  Same with TCU.  I want to see the FBS go to a FCS playoff system.  Higher ranked team gets the home game and a neutral Championship game site.

A one and done tournament does not pretend to pick the best team. It is just another way to pick a champion. No doubt it can be exciting but it has nothing to do with determining who is the best. Look at the NFL, the playoff are what everyone is concerned about getting into but are you seriously saying the Giants were a better team than NE when they ruined the Pats perfect season? That if they had played a best of 7 series the Giants would have won even 1 more game? I don't think so. They were just better that day.

In the end it is only about revenue. I bet the field will expand to 8 teams in the near future, and if they can expand it to 12 or more without bumping into the NFL playoff they will do it, simply because of the money it generates. It will be exciting and people will watch but when the #8 seed with 2 losses beats the #7 seed with 2 losses in the championship game you won't have seen the 2 best teams play, just the two that managed to win 2 or 3 games in a row.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

OJsDad

Quote from: MetalDog on December 09, 2014, 10:46:57 PM
I know.  I'm just trying to give a little to the OSU fan from the Alabama fan.  Being an SEC fan is a lot like being a Yankee fan.  When you root, revel and glory vicariously in your teams success, you have to expect the jealous haters trying to harsh your mellow ;)

And that's what makes it fun!
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

OJsDad

Wow!  Did see this coming at all;

QuoteGary Andersen is leaving Wisconsin after two seasons to be the head coaching at Oregon State
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bayonetbrant

Unfortunately, everyone around here is wondering if Dave Doeren is on the next flight out of town.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 10, 2014, 09:25:32 PM
Unfortunately, everyone around here is wondering if Dave Doeren is on the next flight out of town.

Must be a local story, because no one else in the country knows who Dave Doeren is.

bayonetbrant

Head coach at NC State and former d-coord from Wisconsin. 
Left for the NC State gig after 2 years as the HC at N Illinois, about 3 weeks before Bielma left WISC for ARK.  Doeren never said it publicly, but a lot of people think he was pissed about Bielma's timing and that he could've had the WISC gig 2 years ago.  He's saying all the right things publicly, but everyone always says the right things publicly (Saban about 'Bama, Brown about Texas, Todd Graham about anything).  The only guy who said the right things publicly and then didn't jump was Les Miles at LSU in '07 when he could've gone to Michigan.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 07, 2014, 04:56:24 PM(Interesting note - only 1 team ever beat 2 BCS game participants in a season without ever playing in a BCS bowl themselves.  Let's see if anyone gets the team/year right :) )

just wondering if anyone's interested in taking a swing at this...  no Googling!

Bison

Sign up for the for the fantasy college bowl picks.  I think brant said he's giving a hug to the winner if you need enticement.

OJsDad

Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 10, 2014, 09:25:32 PM

Sounding like you don't have to worry about him going to Wisconsin.

QuoteFormer Wisconsin assistant and current Pittsburgh coach Paul Chryst is poised to become the Badgers' new head coach, a source confirmed to ESPN.com.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12018668/wisconsin-badgers-hire-pittsburgh-head-coach-paul-chryst

OJsDad

The Naval Academy Battle Goats take on the West Point Jack A**'s today. 

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

How 'bout them Texans...having players grievously injured since 2002.

Not that I'm a fan of Fitzpatrick at all, but the boy could scramble a helluva lot better than Schaub the Statue ever did. Not so much today, though.

bayonetbrant

7-year-old kid sends JJ Watt his autographed jersey, so when the kid grows up and becomes famous, Watt already has it

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/154324/seven-year-old-sends-j-j-watt-his-autographed-jersey