The 2014 Running Football Thread (College & Pro)

Started by bayonetbrant, February 07, 2014, 10:21:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

if I won the $200 million lottery I would hire a midget to run out in the middle of a game and kick him in the nuts.  I'd cover all the legal expenses.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Steelgrave

^ Gus would blow the entire million on booze, computer games, and shoes with lifts!

MetalDog

Quote from: OJsDad on January 05, 2015, 08:15:09 PM
MD, I agree with what you say about a play off for college football.  The biggest problem is going to get schools that are in Div I, or whatever they call the top division now, out that have never fielded a competitive team and never will.

Well, the Big 5 almost have this scenario already.  Between the the ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12 and SEC, there are exactly 64 teams.  Now it's just a matter of figuring how to dole them out.  And they'll have to be renamed.  Geographically would be best, but, I wouldn't be opposed to keeping the old conference names.  The thing then is, who gets dropped?  I would say the Big 12.  And I would be ruthless in how I realign, too.  That's why keeping the old conference designations would be a hindrance.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Martok

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 05, 2015, 09:16:04 PM
Quote from: Martok on January 04, 2015, 11:56:59 PM
...And my nightmare scenario of a Cowboys-Patriots Super Bowl comes one step closer.  Should such a calamity come to pass, I will know beyond any doubt that there is no God. 

if that shit show happens I'm rooting for the Cowboys.
I'll be getting drunk.  Very, very drunk. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

BanzaiCat

Meh. Colts vs. Broncos might be interesting. Might be. I can only hope the Packers beat the snot out of the Cowboys and Romo finally shows his true choke-worthy colors.

Martok

Ugh.  Now I have to root for the Packers this weekend.  I already feel dirty. 

At least I can cheer the Ravens with a clean conscience. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

OJsDad

MD, the only other thing I would do is to setup a process like British soccer.  Schools not in the top 4 conferences are placed in 4 other conferences.  The top two (or however many are decided) teams in those conferences replace the worst teams in the top 4 conferences each year.  That way the Indiana's, Colorado's, Vanderbilt's, NC States, etc, get moved down and the schools like LA Tech, Boise, etc. that are trying to put a good program together get rewarded. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

MetalDog

^ I have no trouble with that at all.  And I think college is uniquely suited to that.  College hoops could work like that, too, but, they have neither the following nor the same type of problem as football.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

BanzaiCat

It's funny, I only just discovered how British soccer is organized and how teams can be promoted up the 'league chain' all the way to the Premier League, technically from the doldrums, if they win enough. And can fall just as far if they lose too much. I think it's a brilliant system and frankly, several US sports could take a glance and learn something.

Remember the old game, Blitz: The League? It was basically an ultra-violent Madden on steroids. The teams were organized into tiered leagues like British soccer, but in my ignorance I didn't make the connection way back then.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 06, 2015, 07:28:20 AM
It's funny, I only just discovered how British soccer is organized and how teams can be promoted up the 'league chain' all the way to the Premier League, technically from the doldrums, if they win enough. And can fall just as far if they lose too much. I think it's a brilliant system and frankly, several US sports could take a glance and learn something.

you need to get out more...  several off have been screaming for years what a great idea this would be for baseball, as much as anywhere else, with the NBA a close second.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Marty Ward

Quote from: Steelgrave on January 05, 2015, 07:56:06 PM
^+1

Can you imagine a four team NFL playoff or selecting the NFL champion by consensus vote???   :P

You mean like when they had the two winners of the two divisions play for the championship? Or when the winners of the two divisions played each other for the right to go to the Super Bowl? Sure I remember that.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

Marty Ward

Quote from: MetalDog on January 05, 2015, 07:06:32 PM

Having said all that, if you still want a way to determine a "true" National Champion, I really think the NFL model is the only way.  I mentioned it upthread and the gist is, four 16 team super conferences, two divisions a piece.  Division winners play for the Conference Championship.  Conference champions play a national semifinal and the winners play for the National Championship.  The Super Bowl isn't always won by the "best" team and neither will the National Championship.  Doing it this way leaves no doubt who actually did win it though.

With so many teams and so much money involved I doubt that your idea could be implemented but it makes as much sense as any other.

Anyway you cut it, the only thing they are trying to do is have a champion crowned but so many people take it as being they are trying to determine the best team. The best team is found over the course of a season, not in a one and done format. So you can have a tourney to crown the champ or you can pick the two best teams over the course of a season to play for the crown and there is really no difference except you probably have a better chance at having a better game if you pick the two teams, not that you can't get a stinker that way either.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

Marty Ward

Quote from: OJsDad on January 05, 2015, 10:54:40 PM
MD, the only other thing I would do is to setup a process like British soccer.  Schools not in the top 4 conferences are placed in 4 other conferences.  The top two (or however many are decided) teams in those conferences replace the worst teams in the top 4 conferences each year.  That way the Indiana's, Colorado's, Vanderbilt's, NC States, etc, get moved down and the schools like LA Tech, Boise, etc. that are trying to put a good program together get rewarded.

That would probably be a real good way to do it if you could get the conferences to agree to it. While there may be a lot of teams there are a lot fewer conferences so it could work.

OJsDad

One thing some schools won't like about a system like this is the money they will lose.  In the Big 10, all bowl earnings are pooled and distributed equally, whether they go to a bowl or not.

I will also say that I don't have a problem with all of the bowls.  I feel if someone is willing to sponsor a bowl game and teams can benefit it both with extra practice/game time and financially, then good for them.  So even if there was a switch like we would like, you could still have bowl games.  Just with out conferences as we have now, teams would be on their own for expenses and get to keep the profits.

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.