Freeman: Guerilla Warfare

Started by Jarhead0331, February 01, 2018, 02:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

There is a strong chance this will suck...but looks like its trying some new ideas, so it gets points for that, at least.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/773951/Freeman_Guerrilla_Warfare/

Freeman: Guerrilla Warfare is set in a chaos filled world occupied by battling factions, bandits and warlords who seek to rule the world.

The game is about your career as a faction leader: Start with minimal assets, you need to make money, build an army, wage wars against other factions and eliminate your rival forces with thoughtful strategies and fine marksmanship and eventually conquer the world. The game provides a completely different shooter experience which strikes a balance between intense first-person action and general strategy.

The game's innovative combat system blends tactical FPS with real-time strategy, allowing you to command an army, plan for tactics in the God view, while immersing in the intense firefight as a foot soldier, in the first person perspective.

FPS meets Sandbox Strategy Game

Start your career with almost nothing, you must make money, recruit soldiers, loot villages, fight bandits, attack territories and dominate the world. The game is a combination of challenging action and a wider strategic theater.

Shooter and Real-Time Strategy

Experience the unique combat system which blends real-time strategy with tactical first-person shooter. You are expected to strategically plan the movements and tactics of multiple squads in addition to having to be an eagle-eyed sharpshooter and possessing catlike reactions.

Realistic Combat Simulation

The game is about realism. Killing 100 enemies with only a pistol is not possible. You will be challenged by highly intelligent AI that is capable of advanced tactical maneuvers such as flanking, surrounding and even fake retreating, almost like what you would experience in real combat. Only carefully planned tactics, equipment and cooperation between squads can bring you victory. Are you up to the challenge?

High Re-playability

The random nature of starting points, enemy AI and objectives will make every battle feel different and challenging. There is no linear gameplay: You have the freedom to decide how to progress in the game, who to fight, what equipment and squads to use and how to dominate the world.

They talk about advanced AI, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mbar

I used to play the heck out of Battlefield 1942 and Vietnam. I was just looking at Freeman and it looks like it may be for me. Surprised it's single player only. I'm checking out youtube but I think I will be buying Freeman and Scavenger SV-4 for this weekend.

Jarhead0331

^Definitely let us know what you think if you get it!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Destraex

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

Surprisingly, its geting very positive reviews. For $11.99, I might just get it regardless to support development of an innovative title.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

jomni

Did you buy it? I'm willing to buy. That top down planning combined with FPS got me interested.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: jomni on February 01, 2018, 06:25:36 PM
Did you buy it? I'm willing to buy. That top down planning combined with FPS got me interested.

Yup. I splurged. Go figure...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

SirAndrewD

Following this one.  Watched some Let's Plays and was impressed but put off a bit by the early state of the game, saw a lot of bugs on one recent one. 

Might seriously consider this one when it gets further along in development.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

HoodedHorseJoe

It's very pretty, I'll give it that. Prettier than any version of Mount & Blade I ever played, at any rate.

Doesn't explain itself very well though - very few tooltips or hints. I loaded into a combat and couldn't figure out how to draw my weapon or issue commands. I think this one is definitely worth keeping an eye on for the moment though, if only for the novelty.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Tpek

HoodedHorseJoe

Quote from: Tpek on February 02, 2018, 09:27:33 AM
Is it a M&B mod?

No, but it has a Mount & Blade feel to it. Large sandbox open world. You go around towns and recruit, buy gear, take quests etc... You encounter other groups on the map and load into a combat environment a la M&B.

Makes me wonder if it started off life as a M&B mod perhaps, but I don't know of any that went into the modern era.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

fabius

Like the concept, and setting more so than Bannerlord even. Definitely one to keep an eye on

DennisS

I watched quite a lot of video on this. The ones I saw cut away after a bit, with the attacker getting their ass handed to them. None of them showed the human player doing well. This is a show stopper for me. I suck at these games, and need an easy button.

fabius

Quote from: DennisS on February 02, 2018, 07:53:09 PM
I watched quite a lot of video on this. The ones I saw cut away after a bit, with the attacker getting their ass handed to them. None of them showed the human player doing well. This is a show stopper for me. I suck at these games, and need an easy button.
I think I saw in one vid a slider for damage taken by the player.