Freeman: Guerilla Warfare

Started by Jarhead0331, February 01, 2018, 02:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Sounds like you're doing pretty good.   :)

Three teams of 7 soldiers each should be enough to take a city defended by at most around 60 - 70 men.  You'll need to play it smart and take your time.  Casualties will probably be higher than fighting bandits in the country side.  You'll need to replace those casualties immediately though because the ai will try to take back it's city.

Ideally though you want at least a total of at least 40 men to take a city defended by 60 - 70 men. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

DennisS

Quote from: W8taminute on September 24, 2019, 12:21:43 PM
Sounds like you're doing pretty good.   :)

Three teams of 7 soldiers each should be enough to take a city defended by at most around 60 - 70 men.  You'll need to play it smart and take your time.  Casualties will probably be higher than fighting bandits in the country side.  You'll need to replace those casualties immediately though because the ai will try to take back it's city.

Ideally though you want at least a total of at least 40 men to take a city defended by 60 - 70 men.

I haven't tried a city attack yet. Do I need to stick around, to prepare for a counter attack? I am getting pretty good with my 6x night vision scope, and with EVERYONE above 95 in armor.

W8taminute

Yes you definitely need to stick around because the counterattack will come. 

If you have an extra companion (or two) this would be the time to split them off from your group and have them form their own warband.  Put him in charge of the city and he should pretty much handle the defenses.  But you still need to stick around a bit to make sure he gets ready fast enough to defend. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

DennisS

Quote from: W8taminute on September 25, 2019, 08:07:06 AM

If you have an extra companion (or two) this would be the time to split them off from your group and have them form their own warband.  Put him in charge of the city and he should pretty much handle the defenses.  But you still need to stick around a bit to make sure he gets ready fast enough to defend.

I've never gotten a companion..not sure how that's done.

FarAway Sooner

Try www.companions.com

On second thought, who knows what malware that might get installed on your system.  Where's Starfury when you need an expert on opinion on such things?   ;D

W8taminute

Quote from: DennisS on September 26, 2019, 08:32:40 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on September 25, 2019, 08:07:06 AM

I've never gotten a companion..not sure how that's done.

To get a companion you must win them over through gift giving.  Visit the Bar at the major cities to see if potential companions are there.

MC

Leaving Early Access on October 4th along with a price increase so you might want to pick it up now. I'm still debating on getting it now or waiting. I'm definitely interested but my backlog is getting crazy.

ArizonaTank

Just saw the devs web site. Looks like the next title will take the Freeman concept to space. Sound interesting.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

ArizonaTank

So I recently decided to go back and see how the game has progressed.  On the surface the game is now "released", and this would seem to be a good thing.  However what I found was a game that has been diminished. Gone are vehicles....the trucks, mortar carriers and armored cars that made life so interesting a few years ago. They now have "artillery" and "air support", but the implementation is a little gamey...and just doesn't feel right. Basically you can hit an icon to call in artillery, like playing a card in a CDG. You don't actually have to worry about carting the guns around, or even having the ammunition. The same for air support.

Some things are right and better. The game has clear inspiration from Mount and Blade, but does many things better. You can manage the individual kit of each of your soldiers, and assign them to unique squads...this part of the game is fun...building a solid force is satisfying, much as it is in Mount and Blade.

But the game quickly becomes samey. At least when you had vehicles running around, there was a sense of real danger...and what the WWI Germans used to call, "tank panic". So while I was very enthusiastic about the game a few years back...I can't really recommend it much now. It does many things right...but too much is just wrong now. Maybe if you get it on super discount, you can get about 10 hours of fun out of it...after that its wash, dry, repeat....
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

SirAndrewD

Yeah, they were going in a good direction after they added vehicles, which were at the time imbalanced and OP but it really just needed work.

They took a step forward updating the engine, but ten steps back removing a lot of features and the entire vehicle mechanic.   They have no intention of getting back to where they were and going beyond. 

It's a fun game to a point, it has a feeling of Mount and Blade modern, but they really abandoned their progress and seemed to really quit trying after they redid the engine and upgraded the visuals and UI.

Sad and weird example of a game that was better in its earlier Betas than in its current release version.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback