Middle Provincial Era GROGPUBLIC game thread

Started by JasonPratt, September 17, 2018, 05:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

TURN TWELVE -- REVENUE PHASE
----------------------------

Segment 1, Faction incomes! -- and mat update snapshots.

I.I.'s Aristocrat's: 0 starting cash; +17+5+5 personal cash; +3+1+1 normal income; +3+4+3 knight income; +2+2 Tax Farming; +3 Harbor Fees
= new Faction Total 49 Talents.

I haven't forgotten the new Province, but that will be dealt with soon.

Note that Cornelius Scipio is no longer a priest, this being re-assigned last Senate by PontMax Plautius to his fellow Progressive Flaminius.

Tripoli's Militarists: 0 starting cash; +5 personal cash; +3+1+1 senators income; +5+5 knights income; +2+2 Tax Farming
= new Faction total 24 Talents.

The Frog's Plutocrats: 0 starting cash; +3 personal cash; +5+1+1 senators income (Plutocrat ability); (+1+3+2)x2 knights income (Plutocrat ability); +1 priest
= new Faction Total 23 Talents.

AzTank's Conservatives (assuming Paullus doesn't rebel): 50 starting cash; +5+5 personal cash; +3+1+1 senators income; +1+2 knights income; +1 priest
= new Faction total 69 Talents!

Malize's Populists: 8 starting cash; +0 personal cash; +3+1+1+1 senators income; +1+1+1+2 knights income; +3 Mining Concession
= 2 Faction total 22 Talents.

Erax's Progressives: 0 starting cash; +16 personal cash; +3+1 senators income; +1 knights income; +2+2 Tax Farming; +6 1d6 PontMax income; +1 priest income
= new Faction total 32 Talents.

Provisionally, the Republic treasury has 101 Talents, +100 normal income, -20 for one Active War (the 1st Punic), -58 for Active units = 123 provisional total, not yet counting Donations or Provincial income.

Players must now send me cash distribution instructions, including any Donations to the Republic. (You may also pre-plan Forum Phase activities.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

I.I., as a Governing Player (and other Governing Players onward through the game), now unlocks some extra choices during this Phase!

First we roll to see if Valerius' Province, Gallia Cisalpina, Developed this Turn. 1d6, plus any rare bonuses (which don't apply this time, although a senator not under Suspicion commonly adds +1 -- Val has lots of Minor Suspicion from his Concessions!) >=6 Develops the Province... and in fact he rolled a 6!! Right off the bat! This earns Val 3 more Influence points, up from 19 to 22 (total Faction up to 69).

I.I., as a Governing Player, will collect 20 Talents from (a Developed) Gallia Cisalpina in local upkeep taxes, and must choose whether Valerius will donate any distributed personal cash to helping raise militia. (This donation is separate from Donating to the Republic's Treasury, and does not increase a senator's stats.)

Militia Legions cost 10 Talents, like regular Legions, but no upkeep once Raised. You will automatically spend all 20 of your local taxes on raising 2 Militia (up to 2 out of a Developed Logistic maximum of 10 for this Province); any local donations you add, will add to the raised militia. Excess local taxes cannot be kept.

Militia Legions will always be loyal to their Governor, but will not normally leave their Province except when following their Governor in Rebellion. They normally fight at half-strength, but at full strength if joined in the fight by at least one normal Legion. As noted, militia Legions never cost upkeep, and as long as the logistic maximum for a Province is reached then local taxes will no longer be collected. Militia cannot gain Veterancy. Nor are they the same as Garrisons, which are regular or Veteran Legions voted by the Senate to Deploy to the Province under Command of the Governor.

Militia are also not the same as the inherent Base Strength of a Province, which never takes casualties. Cisalpine Gaul currently has a (Developed) Base Strength of 2, equivalent to 2 Legions. Base Strength force cannot join a Governor in marching against Rome but will defend loyal to the Governor if attacked by a Republican Force.

I.I. must also now choose whether Valerius will attempt to squeeze Provincial Spoils! (Normally this would happen before rolling for Development, but I'm simplifying things for Asynch.) Developed Cisalpine Gaul can provide 1d6 + 3 Talents. Each Spoil attempt adds its own Minor Corruption marker to the Province, which can be Investigated during the Senate Phase, and to properly affect things for asynch purposes these Corruptions cannot be removed except by Investigation or by NOT Spoiling the Province next time.

In I.I.'s case he might as well, since he's going to have two automatic Minor Suspicions anyway from his Concessions, which would affect his chance of Developing the Province anyway (if he hadn't already Developed it). There's no downside for him in this case, nor for the Province (anymore), so I'll go ahead and roll for it... 5! +3 is 8, so that's added to Val's personal cash! (I.I. can distribute this as he wishes.)

Gallia Cisalpina will stay Developed until and unless it gets rolled over by a War or by a Barbarian Migration.

It will also (probably) generate income for Rome's Treasury, but that happens soon not now.

(I won't go over all this every time, but now seemed the best time to discuss these Provincial rules.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Erax

26 to Plautius, 5 to Flaminius (who will spend it on a Knight), 1 in Faction Treasury.

Tripoli

Julius and Manlius have a nine popularity?  That's the Roman equivalent of this:

https://youtu.be/It3Cctk6BRs?t=1

As far as distributions: 5 to Manlius for a knight. 11 to Aelius for a donation to the treasury for an additional 2 influence.  8 to Faction cash
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

JasonPratt

Winning lots of wars will do that for you!

JasonPratt

Oh, also: I.I. should tell me where he wants his extra Influence point distributed (since Valerius earned some Influence by randomly flipping his new Province to Developed!)

IncompetentIdiot

5 (and extra influence) to Quinctius, 40 to Scipio.

Erax

It would be nice if you posted the province cards before revenue from now on. I know we can see it in the Aristocrat mat, but it's too small there for details.

malize

14 to junius for games (bonus to Cato )
5 to Cato for knight

JasonPratt

Quote from: Erax on February 23, 2019, 06:44:09 PM
It would be nice if you posted the province cards before revenue from now on. I know we can see it in the Aristocrat mat, but it's too small there for details.

I didn't? Oh, I definitely meant to, but I got distracted I guess; I see I did take a snapshot, but I never got around to posting it!

This is after its action in the Revenue Phase: Val randomly succeeded in developing it over to the green side; the local taxes were automatically spent on 2 militia (and I.I. didn't add any more this turn); and Val rolled a 5 for the spoils (adding 8 cash to his personal card, and a lingering Corrupto marker to the Province which in his case isn't going to make any difference.) Some of these are a little out of order for the boardgame rules, but I decided I could safely re-arrange them for asynch forum play without the changes being catastrophic.

If you click to zoom on the revenue mat snapshots, you can get an idea of what the Undeveloped version of the Province looks like.

ArizonaTank

7  to each of the guys. Terentius will spend 5 to get a knight
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JasonPratt

Segment 2 processing:

I.I. gives his extra point of Influence to Quinctius (up to 25), and 5 cash. 40 cash to Scipio, keeping 4.

Tripoli gives 5 to Manlius for a knight later, and 11 to Aelius who will donate 10 now (up to 111) for 1 Influence, up to 27. (The influence goes up at notches of 1, 3, 7; and to get more than 1 you must donate more than 24 cash.)

The Frog instructs me by chat to give Claudius 5 for an automatic knight later, and the rest (18) to Acilius who will Sponsor the biggest games he can later.

AzTank gives 7 to each senator, with instructions to buy Terentius an automatic knight later. This leaves over 48 points. (It also necessarily means Paullus hands back his Legions upon return to Rome.)

Malize gives 5 to Cato for a knight later, and 14 to Junius for games later (with the bonus Popularity going to Cato later); keeping 3 cash.

Erax gives 26 to Plautius, 5 to Flaminus (for a knight later), and keeps 1.

This ends Segment 2.

Segment 3, Republic income: 111 starting cash; +100 normal income; 2d6-1 income from Gallia Cisalpina = 2+3-1; -20 for Unprosecuted 1st Latin War; -2 x 29 Active units = new Republic cash total 137 Talents!

Province Governors dial down their Terms one notch.

This ends the Revenue Phase. (Everyone should of course check my math!)

JasonPratt

TURN TWELVE -- FORUM PHASE
--------------------------

There are 18 Scenario cards remaining in the Early Era, so we'll definitely get one more Turn in this Era. But next Turn will very probably shift into the Middle Provincial Era!

One of the Drought effects vanishes, but the one caused by the 1st Illyrian War remains as the only active Event at the start of the Forum Phase.

Dictator Aemilius Paulus Macedonicus (now truly!) is the Highest Ranking Available Official, and so the Conservatives will start around the table with a 2d6 of 4+5, drawing a Scenario: a Faction card to his hand. I've p-mailed him already about it. Terence (per instructions) sacrifices 5 of his 7 cash to automatically buy his 1st knight, normal Vote Tally up to 12. Unless AzTank wants to change his Faction Leader from Furius, or Sponsor Level 1 games, this ends his round. (But if he does, then of course I'll retroactive apply that.)

JasonPratt

Malize's Populists roll 5+6, so draw a Secnario: also a Faction card to his hand (joining his other 2 face down). I've sent him a p-mail about it already. Junias spends 13 cash (keeping 1) to Sponsor 2nd-level Games, reducing Unrest by 2 (already at 0), and earning 2 Popularity, up from 3 to 5. The Populists' extra Pop point goes to Cato, per instructions, from 2 to 3. Vote Tally goes up 3 points from 28 to 31; and then up to 32 for Cato automatically buying a second knight for 5 cash.

JasonPratt

Erax's Progressives roll boxcars, 6+6, which by all rights should earn Flaminius a non-fatal visit from the Kindly Ones! >:D Instead he'll have to settle for also drawing a red-text Faction card to his hand. (I've sent him a p-mail about it already.) Per his instructions, his new Flaminian Senator sacrifices all 5 of his cash to buy his first minion. Normal Vote tally goes up to 5.

I don't have any other instructions, but any other valid actions I can apply retroactively so I'll move on.