"Stealth" barge?

Started by bayonetbrant, August 09, 2012, 08:51:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Massive-Barge-at-Treasure-Island-Holds-Secrets-164849476.html

Weird - a barge that was made to minimize radar detection to snag Russian subs off the ocean floor.

QuoteThe military built the submersible barge for a secret mission. It carried a tool called The Claw, that the CIA used to grab a Russian submarine off the ocean floor. After that mission the HMB-1 docked at Lockheed Martin in Redwood City where another secret mission launched.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

That's not the first. Apparently retrieving Soviet subs was something of a fixation for us.

IIRC Howard Hughes was drafted into a cover to create a big ship that was supposedly looking to mine gold at the bottom of the ocean. The real purpose was to retrieve a Soviet ship.

Been a while since I read the book, but as I recall it got the sub but *might* have lost a torpedo or SLBM as it was being hauled to the surface.

If I'm not confusing my stories (a distinct possibility) the remains we found where then reburied in a full Soviet military burial. Something tells me I've even seen some film footage of it. That story sound about right to anyone else?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

mirth

The stealth ship in the pic is the Sea Shadow. The barge is the structure around it acting as a drydock.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hughes_Mining_Barge
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

Quote from: LongBlade on August 09, 2012, 09:18:45 AM
That's not the first. Apparently retrieving Soviet subs was something of a fixation for us.

IIRC Howard Hughes was drafted into a cover to create a big ship that was supposedly looking to mine gold at the bottom of the ocean. The real purpose was to retrieve a Soviet ship.

Been a while since I read the book, but as I recall it got the sub but *might* have lost a torpedo or SLBM as it was being hauled to the surface.

If I'm not confusing my stories (a distinct possibility) the remains we found where then reburied in a full Soviet military burial. Something tells me I've even seen some film footage of it. That story sound about right to anyone else?

Your correct about all that, LB. Hughes built the Glomar Explorer, and the barge, for the CIA in order to haul a Soviet sub (Golf-class I think) off the bottom of the Pacific. The sub broke up when they were  lifting it. They did recover part of it along with some bodies.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

EDIT: Others beat me to it. That'll teach me to walk away from the computer for a while w/out hitting the post button. :D

There's a dramatic bit of video floating around that shows the burial at sea of the Soviet sailors, under the USSR flag. Someone was obviously thinking ahead in bringing the flag and a recording of the Internationale along.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFWMo7aHDRo
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys