Pericles (GMT) ?

Started by Nefaro, June 30, 2016, 10:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Mark Herman just posted a tutorial vid for the upcoming Pericles.

I never checked out the earlier Churchill system.  I'm guessing somebody here did so.  Was some praise for it IIRC, but dunno much about it other than having a solitaire option and involving political maneuvering in the theme.  Thoughts?

bayonetbrant

Churchill was our Tabletop Game of the Year winner in the Readers Choice Awards

http://grogheads.com/?p=10362

There's a variety of political maneuvering going on with decisions about where to allocate priorities and who gets to make the choices about what decisions get executed. 
The 'maneuvers' being executed are in the negotiations about what other people will do on the battlefield, rather than on the battlefield itself. 
In Churchill the questions are things like when, where, how will a second front be opened, and the actual execution of that second front isn't even really played out.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

Sounds interesting.

I perked up due to the period portrayed in this one. 

nht

The main thing about Churchill, which Mark Herman has emphasized over and over, is that it really is a "coopetition" game -- meaning that you've got to balance  your own interests along with those of the other players in order to keep the point spread within certain parameters as the game moves along. An apparent runaway winner is likely to end up losing, both due to the other players teaming up against him, as well as with certain mechanics that are built into the system.

I think it's a brilliant game, and I'm hoping my cash-flow situation improves soon, so I can put in a pre-order for Pericles :)