The 2015 Running Football Thread (College & Pro)

Started by bayonetbrant, February 03, 2015, 07:40:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

It was another good playoff game for me.  Our poker group got together and I sat with my back to the TV - and cleaned up again.

Seemed like a couple of defensive secondary breakdowns on big plays killed Clemson.

MetalDog

And I'm ok with that ;)  Glad you won big, Airboy!
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

OJsDad

Congrats to Bama.  I headed to bed with about 10.5 minutes left I the game.  Looks like I missed the most exciting part. 

I had wanted Clemson to win for the sole reason they hadn't won a national title since '81. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Who the fuck is Chip Kelly?

Oh, nevermind, I see he's a coach that never actually played the sport he's coaching. What could go wrong?  >:D

Marty Ward

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 14, 2016, 02:45:37 PM
Who the fuck is Chip Kelly?

Oh, nevermind, I see he's a coach that never actually played the sport he's coaching. What could go wrong?  >:D

Not every coach played the sport. It's not necessarily a requirement. I don't even think there is any proven benefit to it.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

BanzaiCat

Probably not. Chip Kelly looks like he has a better NFL record than Gary Kubiak ever did. Maybe he should come replace our head coach instead.

Marty Ward

Every coach probably played football at some point in their life, college or high school, but very few NFL coaches played in the NFL. This is from 2014 but not a lot has changed.

"In MLB, 83 percent of managers on opening day this year played in the major leagues. In the NHL, 60 percent of the head coaches reached the league and 43 percent in the NBA.

In the NFL, only 19 percent — six of 32 ­— of the head coaches who will lead their teams into the 2014 season played in the league.

The most successful head coach in the NFL today is New England's Bill Belichick, who played at Division III Wesleyan University in Connecticut. Miami Dolphins coach Joe Philbin played only one season of college football at Division III Washington & Jefferson College. Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy, a native of Greenfield, played at Baker University, an NAIA school in Kansas. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin played at Division I-AA William  Mary."

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/around-the-league-nfl/2014/08/24/Why-NFL-coaches-rarely-rise-from-ranks-of-players/stories/201408240108
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 14, 2016, 02:45:37 PMI see he's a coach that never actually played the sport he's coaching.

Just like Belichick.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 14, 2016, 04:15:14 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 14, 2016, 02:45:37 PMI see he's a coach that never actually played the sport he's coaching.

Just like Belichick.

And there the similarity ends.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Marty Ward

Quote from: mirth on January 14, 2016, 04:21:24 PM

Just like Belichick.

You never know. Belichick didn't do so hot in his first coaching gig.

Bison

Chip Kelly should have stayed at the college level.  It seems like the only place his type of bullshit is successful.

mirth

Quote from: Marty Ward on January 14, 2016, 04:28:12 PM
Quote from: mirth on January 14, 2016, 04:21:24 PM

Just like Belichick.

You never know. Belichick didn't do so hot in his first coaching gig.

Cleveland? That will destroy any man.

Marty Ward

Quote from: Bison on January 14, 2016, 04:38:03 PM
Chip Kelly should have stayed at the college level.  It seems like the only place his type of bullshit is successful.

They greeted Walsh with some skepticism when he brought the West Coast offense in. I think with the right people Kelly's system could work just like the run and gun could rack up the points. You need the right team though.

Bison

They made the moves Kelly wanted and the team was horrible.  Offense sucked and the defense under performed.  Kelly's reputation is based solely on a couple of good seasons at Oregon.  I just think he's overrated just like Norv Turner.