Superbowl - I'm very stoked

Started by JudgeDredd, January 31, 2015, 06:03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

Hahahaha, awesome meme.

Didn't watch it but heard plenty of bellyaching about that on the drive in. :)

Didn't even know the final score until a coworker arrived and told me.

GDS_Starfury

It's shit like that play that make me think the thing is rigged loke wrestling.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

Seriously....  you have 3 plays and iitc 2 time outs to get Lynch 2 feet and you decide to throw the frakking ball right into the middle of the defensive line.  :tickedoff:
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 02, 2015, 01:24:37 PM
Seriously....  you have 3 plays and iitc 2 time outs to get Lynch 2 feet and you decide to throw the frakking ball right into the middle of the defensive line.  :tickedoff:
lol - I know. I can't get over it - I really can't.

Again - I know he was probably thinking the defence was going to expect him to run Lynch and so he probably thought he had a reasonable chance of getting a pass in - but still...2nd down - 2 more downs left - les than a yard to move the ball - Lynch has been superb - what exactly is there to think about?
Alba gu' brath

Marty Ward

All the Patriots said they knew it would be Lynch running so the pass was not necessarily a bad play to run then, you know do what they aren't expecting. It was that the pass was short and over the middle that made it such a bonehead move. Christ there were 12 people within 2 steps of the ball.  Throw it outside or to the back of the end zone where only your guy can catch it. Then run twice if necessary.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

bayonetbrant

http://www.vox.com/2015/2/2/7961789/pete-carroll-play-call-defense

QuoteThis is the most persuasive defense of Pete Carroll's decision to throw that pass

An incomplete pass stops the game clock. An unsuccessful run does not. A timeout also stops the clock, and Seattle only had one timeout left. So if the Seahawks had run on second down and failed to get a touchdown, they would have had to call timeout.

Now, it's third down, and they have no timeouts left. So if they run on third and fail, the game is over. But if they pass on third and fail, the clock will stop, and they can run another play. So they basically have to pass on third, and the New England defense knows they have to pass.

By contrast, if you throw on second down and fail, the clock stops. Now it's third down, and you still have your time out. That means you could run on third, fail, and use the timeout to stop the clock and run another play on fourth down. That means New England has to defend against both the pass and the run, which puts Seattle in a more advantageous strategic position than they would be had they run and failed.

Obviously, this line of thinking didn't work out very well for the Seahawks. And there's a good case to be made that it involves overthinking the situation. You only need two yards, and you've got Lynch, so why not put it in his hands? But if you leave hindsight out of it, you can see the argument on the other side
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Marty Ward on February 02, 2015, 02:49:50 PM
All the Patriots said they knew it would be Lynch running so the pass was not necessarily a bad play to run then, you know do what they aren't expecting. It was that the pass was short and over the middle that made it such a bonehead move. Christ there were 12 people within 2 steps of the ball.  Throw it outside or to the back of the end zone where only your guy can catch it. Then run twice if necessary.
Of course they "knew" Lynch would receive it...but I still think 2nd down and a yard to go that had to be the play. Mess with a pass on the 3rd or better still the 4th if you really want...but you had 4 downs. Come the 4th, if Lynch hadn't made the ground, the Pats wouldn't have known what play was coming - and probably suspected a pass as the previous two downs had resulted in no gain.

What I'm trying to say is - at that time that move made no sense. The Pats would have been just as thrown had the Hawks gotten to a 4th. At the 4th you can make all the risky plays you want...you have nothing to lose with seconds left on the clock.

That game was there for the Hawks at that point and that decision gifted it to the Pats.

Having said that - I do think overall the Pats outplayed the Hawks and the best team on the night won.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 02, 2015, 03:08:54 PM
http://www.vox.com/2015/2/2/7961789/pete-carroll-play-call-defense

QuoteThis is the most persuasive defense of Pete Carroll's decision to throw that pass

An incomplete pass stops the game clock. An unsuccessful run does not. A timeout also stops the clock, and Seattle only had one timeout left. So if the Seahawks had run on second down and failed to get a touchdown, they would have had to call timeout.

Now, it's third down, and they have no timeouts left. So if they run on third and fail, the game is over. But if they pass on third and fail, the clock will stop, and they can run another play. So they basically have to pass on third, and the New England defense knows they have to pass.

By contrast, if you throw on second down and fail, the clock stops. Now it's third down, and you still have your time out. That means you could run on third, fail, and use the timeout to stop the clock and run another play on fourth down. That means New England has to defend against both the pass and the run, which puts Seattle in a more advantageous strategic position than they would be had they run and failed.

Obviously, this line of thinking didn't work out very well for the Seahawks. And there's a good case to be made that it involves overthinking the situation. You only need two yards, and you've got Lynch, so why not put it in his hands? But if you leave hindsight out of it, you can see the argument on the other side
I've seen teams play 3/4 downs in seconds....they just need the coach to be on the ball. 30 seconds was plenty of time to give the ball to Lynch and if needed, take the time out. Then they could've primed the next two plays...they could've fitted them in.

I've seen plays happen in quick succession before when the clock is running out and the team have no timeouts. You just need to be "on the ball" and get your plays lined up. There's 30 seconds left and you've got a yard and 3 downs!

So I don't buy that...sorry ;D
Alba gu' brath

Marty Ward

Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 02, 2015, 03:18:18 PM
Of course they "knew" Lynch would receive it...but I still think 2nd down and a yard to go that had to be the play. Mess with a pass on the 3rd or better still the 4th if you really want...but you had 4 downs. Come the 4th, if Lynch hadn't made the ground, the Pats wouldn't have known what play was coming - and probably suspected a pass as the previous two downs had resulted in no gain.

What I'm trying to say is - at that time that move made no sense. The Pats would have been just as thrown had the Hawks gotten to a 4th. At the 4th you can make all the risky plays you want...you have nothing to lose with seconds left on the clock.

That game was there for the Hawks at that point and that decision gifted it to the Pats.

Having said that - I do think overall the Pats outplayed the Hawks and the best team on the night won.

I still think the pass call wasn't the problem. The problem was where the pass was thrown, short over the middle with a defense crowding the line to stop the run. The whole Pats defense was where the pass went. Throw it outside or high to the back of the end zone.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Marty Ward on February 02, 2015, 03:27:55 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 02, 2015, 03:18:18 PM

I still think the pass call wasn't the problem. The problem was where the pass was thrown, short over the middle with a defense crowding the line to stop the run. The whole Pats defense was where the pass went. Throw it outside or high to the back of the end zone.
Oh, I agree that it was the area that was the problem. Every man woman and child that could be spared was in the centre area waiting on a run

I still would've given Lynch his bite. 3rd or 4th down would've been where I would've chanced the pass.
Alba gu' brath

mirth

Quote from: Marty Ward on February 02, 2015, 03:27:55 PM
The problem was where the pass was thrown, short over the middle with a defense crowding the line to stop the run. The whole Pats defense was where the pass went. Throw it outside or high to the back of the end zone.

That is typically where the ball would be thrown in that situation. Back of the end zone or outside toward the sideline. Throwing it into the middle, into the teeth of the defense, was plain dumb.

Not that I am displeased with the outcome :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Marty Ward

Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 02, 2015, 03:35:54 PM

Oh, I agree that it was the area that was the problem. Every man woman and child that could be spared was in the centre area waiting on a run

I still would've given Lynch his bite. 3rd or 4th down would've been where I would've chanced the pass.

Either that or fake to Lynch up the middle and have Wilson roll out to either run or pass. Your talking about a 6-8 second play at worst.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus