Signup list for GROGPUBLIC OF ROME

Started by JasonPratt, September 06, 2018, 04:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

This is a somewhat temporary thread signing up for the forum game of Republic of Rome.

For the thread introducing the game, including the official rules (as of April 2018) and the expanded rules I'm using (and somewhat hotpatching) for forum play, click here.

To go straight to the post with the rules attached, click here. Be aware that the rules are infamously complex, but I'll be essentially GMing as the umpire so no one will have to worry about doing the scutwork in the background. And that's, like, 80% of the game. Player workload is pretty light without it.

To jump to the post explaining the Faction flavors click here.

I'll post the current slot list next, with updates as I learn about them.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Okay, the other Crisis Grogs already have pre-reserved slots, and I don't know everyone's forum nickname yet so I'll distinguish below:

CONFIRMED
------------
ArizonaTank (aka Larry from the Crisis Grogs, longtime Groghead), confirmed
Dave from the Crisis Grogs (Ethel the Frog here on Grogheads), confirmed
IncompetentIdiot (a very new Groghead member) confirmed
Tripoli (of the Grogheads), confirmed
Malize (from Computer Wargames FB group) confirmed
Erax (from Computer Wargames FB group) confirmed

SLOTS STILL RESERVED BUT UNCONFIRMED
----------------------------------------------

Anyone interested in a slot should post below, including confirming a reserved slot. This will give me a handy reference for p-mailing, too. (Don't worry about providing email links, the forum private message system will work fine for what little secret discussion we'll be doing.)

If you have a preference for any Factions (or against any!), let me know. I'll do my best to sort players around their preferences, according to the initial random draw of senators.

There are 8 slots in any one game, and 6 are already used, but we may need extras for cancellations or if people have to (or want to) drop out later. If absolutely necessary, I can take over playing a Faction -- I just don't want to be unfair, since as the umpire playing from my house rules I'd have a lot of advantage.  O:-)

I might, theoretically, run two games concurrently, if we pick up 16+ applicants.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Ethel the Frog

Okay, consider me signed up.  (This is "Dave from the Crisis Grogs")

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JasonPratt

As an update, Rich is passing for now, so his slot is open.

Also, it will be VERY easy and feasible to gear down the game to three players with some simple adjustments, so as long as we have a minimum of three players (two would be a little too easy for cooperation with less temptation to try for a domination win) we'll be good to go; and as noted I'll slot in for the final player if necessary (I just don't want to be playing with an unfair advantage, since naturally I have direct access not only to the decks but also to the secret faction cards drawn by other players).

But I'll keep the list open until the end of next weekend to be safe.  O:-) Specifically I mean that Monday afternoon Sept 17th, I will start the game (after my work's done) with anyone signed up.

However: it will be relatively easy to add other players in as factions after we start, if anyone wants to wait to let us demonstrate the system in practice, work out any kinks, etc.)

JasonPratt

As a reminder, I'll be starting the game Monday afternoon after this weekend. I'll be starting a final thread for the actual game, named something like "Latin Era Grogpublic game thread", which I'll update the title of as we move through the eras (so I'll rename it eventually "Italian Era..." and so forth). I'll post a link here when the time comes.

Meanwhile, anyone can sign up after we start, too; although there will probably be a little delay until I can 'phase' the new faction into the game, if that happens.

Tripoli

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 06, 2018, 04:54:29 PM
This is a somewhat temporary thread signing up for the forum game of Republic of Rome.

For the thread introducing the game, including the official rules (as of April 2018) and the expanded rules I'm using (and somewhat hotpatching) for forum play, click here.

To go straight to the post with the rules attached, click here. Be aware that the rules are infamously complex, but I'll be essentially GMing as the umpire so no one will have to worry about doing the scutwork in the background. And that's, like, 80% of the game. Player workload is pretty light without it.

To jump to the post explaining the Faction flavors click here.

I'll post the current slot list next, with updates as I learn about them.

If you have room for one more, I would like to throw my hat in the ring....
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

JasonPratt

In a few minutes I'll be p-mailing the confirmed players (and checking on Windi again) as a test to make sure they understand how the pmail system works.

But then it occurred to me that, on the assumption that some of the new members might not know how, they also might not even realize when p-mail messages come in!

And this post could be handy for other players who, after watching us for a while, want to join up later. So:

To make sure you've got your p-mail set up at all, go to the upper-left-most row of hyperlinks and mouse (don't click yet) over "Profile". The engine should produce a drop-menu like you see here:

Mouse down to "Account Settings" and single-click that. (All the clicks are single, not double.)

The engine will open a new page with your profile settings, which will probably show your passwords and other basic information. Mouse over "Modify Profile" as in the pic shown here:

On this drop-down menu, click on "Personal Messaging" (highlighted in the pic).

The engine should change your view to something very similar to this:

These are your options for the p-mail system. You need to make sure all members except those on your block list can p-mail to you (since we don't have a group for this game. You can always change back to something more restricted after we're done.) I also strongly recommend clicking the box that tells the system to email you p-mail alerts. (The system will send them to the address you registered your membership with.)

Personally I don't like the pop-up alert system which triggers if you've received a new p-mail since the last time you loaded a page on the site; and your web browser may not like them either. But if you prefer that method of alert on-site, that's okay, whatever works best for you.

Regardless of what else you click, the system will check back at your p-mail each time you load a page anywhere on the Grogheads forum, and will give you a bolded alert up here:

I don't happen to have one when taking that snapshot, but "My Messages" will be bolded and will show a number for the total of new messages. If you mouse over that hyperlink, a drop-down menu will show as in the pic, and you'll click "Read your messages".

This will take you to your pmail inbox, which will be sorted old-top or new-top according to whatever you chose (or forgot to change ;) ) back in your p-mail preferences. Iirc, new entries will be bolded, and you can click on them to open them up to read, typical functionality. To which you can then reply as usual for forum messages.

If you want to send a p-mail to a game player (or any other Groghead member for that matter, assuming they're allowing this function), one easy way is to look under their avatar on any post they've made, and find if there's a speech-bubble icon like this:

I've added a red arrow outline to point to it, since my screenshot function doesn't show my mouse pointer. (Not every member will have all the other icons, btw.) (And if a member shows the old icq icon, there's a good chance this is a Russian spambot or something like that.  >:D )

Clicking on that will take you to your p-mail box (the outbox I think), and load up a composition window with the member's name already added to the receiving list, like this:

You can also type a member's forum name in the receiver blank up there, and the engine will cycle through members with a close match until it narrows down to the one you want or you see it listed. This will be part of its own little drop-down menu, and you can click on that to add the member to your send-list.

The p-mail system is pretty secure: I'm not sure (having admin'd this engine before elsewhere) whether it's possible for even the adminstrators to check other people's p-mail!

Anyway, this is how I'll be sending players information on the (few) cards you'll be holding, which is the only secret information in the game -- aside from any private discussions players want to have with each other, of course! And I may use it occasionally as a handy umpire message tool, which is what I'm about to do by sending everyone a p-mail mostly equivalent to this post.  :))

I hope that explanation (and the snapshots) made sense! If not, you can post questions below. Also, if you get a p-mail from me this way, be sure to reply back so that I know the links are up and running. (It isn't strictly necessary to reply back, I just want to be sure everyone understands at least how to see new messages from me and ask questions privately at least, about cards you're holding for example.)

JasonPratt

Tripoli confirmed!

I've added you to the p-mail list that I'm sending out in a minute, so the system should show you have 1 "My Messages" (at least) soon.

JasonPratt

I have now created the gamethread itself here at that link. Activity on this thread will end, except for updates to the player list perhaps.

malize

hey there!  I've come from the Computer Wargames FB group, I'll fill in any spot you need.

JasonPratt

I'll spawn you in as the Populist Faction at the next available opportunity, unless there's another remaining Faction you prefer.

JasonPratt

Be sure to catch up on what's going on in the actual game thread, which starts here but you may want to work backward instead. http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=22942.0

malize

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 01, 2018, 07:48:38 AM
I'll spawn you in as the Populist Faction at the next available opportunity, unless there's another remaining Faction you prefer.

I'm good with that