Main Menu

Mod Use Dilimma

Started by Tanaka, November 25, 2020, 04:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanaka

Anyone else find themselves caught in this trap? Mods can make many games so much cooler but...updates and bugs updates and bugs...using mods can be exhausting when you keep adding more and more mods. Going down the steam workshop modhole I just keep adding and adding and adding. But I find the more mods I add the less I want to play that game because they are so exhausting to keep up with all of the game and mod updates.

So who just plays the base games to avoid this?

I find myself wanting to give up mods altogether so I can just keep playing my games whenever new updates come out without having to check on tons of mods.

It's quite the frustrating conundrum because there are so many cool mods out there...

Gusington

Modding is a game unto itself for me :)

What are you modding?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Tanaka

Quote from: Gusington on November 25, 2020, 04:03:22 PM
Modding is a game unto itself for me :)

What are you modding?

I have modded games myself and yes I've found myself modding more than playing (that's a whole nother rabbit hole haha)

But in general I mean just going into steam workshop and adding others mods. For example today I bought CK3 and immediately went in and added a jillion mods. And now I don't want to play it because I've added in so much more complexity and bugs and so much to keep up with for the next update  :idiot2:

So now I'm thinking just delete all the mods and just keep playing the damn base game as new updates come out without having to worry about any of that anymore...

Jarhead0331

Yes. I know the feeling. I've felt this with a lot of games. You are not alone.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Tanaka

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 25, 2020, 04:25:05 PM

Good to hear I feel like this is Mod Addiction Anonymous  :2funny:

Addicted to just adding mods and never playing the actual game  :bd:

Gusington

I used to always try to play the base game first, whatever it was. There are so many interesting titles now and so many more interesting mods that has become more and more difficult.

But still fun.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Tanaka on November 25, 2020, 04:28:31 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 25, 2020, 04:25:05 PM

Good to hear I feel like this is Mod Addiction Anonymous  :2funny:

Addicted to just adding mods and never playing the actual game  :bd:
I have literally hundreds of gigabites of mods for Arma 3. Luckily, they are easy to sort through, activate, deactivate and delete.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Sir Slash

Steam makes using and switching between mods and vanilla quite easy I've found. There are the upgrades to deal with but this also done automatically or you can opt to not do upgrades and play the version you currently have installed. The most aggravating thing for me are the modders who just walk-away from their projects and leave them half-done or broken.  :pullhair:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Tanaka

Quote from: Sir Slash on November 25, 2020, 07:30:10 PM
Steam makes using and switching between mods and vanilla quite easy I've found. There are the upgrades to deal with but this also done automatically or you can opt to not do upgrades and play the version you currently have installed. The most aggravating thing for me are the modders who just walk-away from their projects and leave them half-done or broken.  :pullhair:

Another reason! Haha

-budd-

Hi, I'm budd I'm a modaholic.

With war/strategy games mods are a selling point for me. Shooters, gameplay and cosmetic mods. I've installed games, modded the shit out of them and uninstalled before I ever played them L:-) I'm using JSME on about 25 war games, and steam workshop for the rest. Your definitely not alone.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

airboy

Quote from: Tanaka on November 25, 2020, 04:00:32 PM
Anyone else find themselves caught in this trap? Mods can make many games so much cooler but...updates and bugs updates and bugs...using mods can be exhausting when you keep adding more and more mods. Going down the steam workshop modhole I just keep adding and adding and adding. But I find the more mods I add the less I want to play that game because they are so exhausting to keep up with all of the game and mod updates.

So who just plays the base games to avoid this?

I find myself wanting to give up mods altogether so I can just keep playing my games whenever new updates come out without having to check on tons of mods.

It's quite the frustrating conundrum because there are so many cool mods out there...

1] I don't mod unless I find the base game lacking or irritating.
2] I do play scenarios added to base games.  And I prefer wargames that encourage people to write additional scenarios.

Yskonyn

I only use mods on games that arent getting frequently patched anymore. Otherwise the gain is just not overcoming the frustration for me.
This frustration might be less if given game supports some kind of mod manager to quickly enable or disable mods.
Steam Workshop goes a long way here.

Still, generally I stay away from mods until I have a good grasp of the game and its patching cycle is slowing down.

There are some exceptions: Mechwarrior 5, for example, really needs mods to make it an interesting enough game for me, but their patch cycle is slow so I get by.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

FarAway Sooner

I tend to go minimalist on most mods, unless they dramatically improve a game.  As soon as I start to run into technical problems, I just stop using it for a few months.  If I'm still playing the game a few months later, and I browse through the workshop and see the mod, I might click on it just to see if it's been updated.

For me, the trick to maximizing enjoyment of mods is to apply the 20/80 rule.  20% of the mods I might want to use will deliver 80% of the improved game play out there.  When I try to get 100% of the improved game play out there, I just find myself at the bottom of a perfectionist doom loop where I spend so much time trying to perfect the game that I don't get any time to play it!

solops

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on November 26, 2020, 02:14:59 AM
I tend to go minimalist on most mods, unless they dramatically improve a game. 

+1
Most games I play un-modded. A few have outstanding mods that I use. Another case is when a total conversion mod makes a new game to play.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin