2017-2018 Consolidated Hoops Thread

Started by bayonetbrant, October 06, 2017, 11:04:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Quote from: airboy on February 23, 2018, 09:44:08 PM
According to ESPN, this is a massive scandal. 

it's going to get bigger

there's a very real chance we'll see 4-5 hall of fame-caliber coaches out before the start of next season
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

airboy

I'm going to the SEC Womens BB Tourney in Nashville this week.  I had a very good time last year.  Almost sure to be the best Women's Conference Tourney in the country.  Usually the SEC has close to half of the final 16 in the NCAA tournament.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: airboy on February 25, 2018, 06:40:25 PM
I'm going to the SEC Womens BB Tourney in Nashville this week.  I had a very good time last year.  Almost sure to be the best Women's Conference Tourney in the country.  Usually the SEC has close to half of the final 16 in the NCAA tournament.

GO GAMECOCKS!

bayonetbrant

Apparently, if NC State wins out (unlikely, but not impossible) then they're a top 4 seed in the ACC tournament have a double-bye and don't play their first game 'til Friday.  I'm not sure they would know what to do with that much free time at the ACC tournament.

Oh, and right now they're up 19 at the half against FSU, who are behind NC St in the conference standings but somehow ranked, while NC St (w/ wins over multiple #2-ranked teams) somehow isn't...

airboy

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 25, 2018, 06:57:32 PM

GO GAMECOCKS!

Mississippi State is highly favored.  Gamechickens have had injuries plus less ability to play as a team this year.

There are 4 teams which could win, Miss St., SC, Georgia and Tennessee.  Anyone else will be a shock.

bayonetbrant

airboy

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 25, 2018, 09:21:32 PM
MSU is still undefeated, aren't they?

Yep 30-0.  Last 2 games they lost were last years national championship game against SC and the finals of the SEC Tourney against SC.

bayonetbrant

Well, we found out what happens when the immovable object meets the incompetent force:
UVa held Pitt to 7 points in the first half last weekend. Not 7 baskets. 7 points. Pitt had 1 field goal in the first half...

bayonetbrant

Wesley Johnson has fallen....  and he can't get up!

[yt]https://youtu.be/gx3S73InQ04[/yt]

reminiscent of this moment from last year's playoffs

[yt]https://youtu.be/PItlsxmQC9Y[/yt]

airboy

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 25, 2018, 06:57:32 PM

GO GAMECOCKS!

SC is a totally different team when Ana Wilson is in the game.  They look a average without her and deadly when she plays. 

OJsDad

Will there be a GH bracket this year?
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: OJsDad on March 04, 2018, 09:42:58 PM
Will there be a GH bracket this year?

Yes, once the tournament field is set

airboy

Mississippi State could not hit from 3 point range (3-19) and Aja Wilson played with the result being the 4th straight SEC title for the Game Chickens.  Mississippi State had 70% of the fans at the Bridgestone Arena.

Mississippi State looked better than last year and USC looked worse - but good enough to win.

Auburn's Men won a share of the SEC regular season title for the first time since 1999.  Two titles in 30 years of holding season tickets!

airboy

The Women's NCAA BB Tourney has had some interesting results.  The ACC has thus far been the strongest conference.  The SEC has bombed with only the top two teams left (Mississippi State & South Carolina).  There have also been far more upsets this year than I can remember.  Usually the Women's NCAA tourney is close to a straight chalk result.

Brant, NCSU is doing better than anticipated so far.