Matrix Games announce Command: Modern Operations (CMANO successor)

Started by al_infierno, September 03, 2019, 11:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Dero

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 17, 2019, 11:32:06 AM
Quote from: solops on November 17, 2019, 11:08:33 AM
Confused...I have not been keeping up with this new version of CMANO, have not played in a while. I did see the 50% discount and went ahead and got it as a CMANO owner. TAcview, I thought it was just a feature of the new CMO version of CMANO. Is it something separate?

Yes. Tacview is a totally separate program that you must purchase separately.

https://www.tacview.net/purchase/buy/en/

And it is optional !

Yskonyn

^ Yes that is important to state!

I see a lot of discussion about how people need to splash additional money to get the 3D view option, but Warfaresims have been transparant and upfront about the fact that CMO just supports 3D view IF you have TacView advanced. Its an extra more than anything.
And not one without its drawbacks either as TacView does not support a Fog of War and so the player is able to see all units in a God's eye view.

While its nice to see aerial engagements in TacView's 3D window I don't feel its a necessary thing to have, much less if you don't own TacView yet (and don't fly air combat sims).
Its just nice CMO offers the option.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Huw the Poo

I wonder why they couldn't just build their own in-game though?  It's not like it would be the first game to do it.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I own the original from Matrix.  Never got a coupon though.  I transitioned to Steam and bought DLC there.

bobarossa

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 17, 2019, 03:43:01 PM
I own the original from Matrix.  Never got a coupon though.  I transitioned to Steam and bought DLC there.
I believe they said to use the original CMANO game code as the coupon code.
Bought CMANO 4 years ago at holiday sale and still haven't tried playing it.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 17, 2019, 03:43:01 PM

It is mentioned a few times on the game page (https://www.matrixgames.com/game/command-modern-operations) :

Get 50% off by entering your CMANO serial at checkout!
Get 50% off by entering your original CMANO serial in the coupon field.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Dimitris on November 16, 2019, 04:20:43 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on November 16, 2019, 04:14:38 AM
The buttons at the bottom left suggest you can skip time in chunks?

Yes. We added this specifically to solve "runaway sim" situations.
It just seems to go from slow to super fast. There's 1,2,3,4,5 and flame...5 is alright but I've found myself many times wanting to go faster but not flame. For example, in the tutorials, I was launching some strike fighters and when they launched, I clicked 5 to get them moving towards the target. Way too slow. So I clicked flame and before I could deselect flame and go back to another setting I was over the target.

Messages often popup and (thankfully) pause the simulation and that allows you to slow the speed down. But I'm still left wanting some different options between 5 and flame.

What is the flame speed anyway as it's not represented as a number.

And I don't want to skip time chunks (at least not in the scenarios I've played - I'm sure that's a useful feature) - but I just want to go faster than 5 and slower than flame  ^-^

Get it on yer wish list. The algorithm is all there right? It can't be hard to put a few more options in, surely.  ;)

Oh and by the way - thank you (or Matrix of Slitherine) for working out a 50% discount for people who owned the original. It was very appreciated.
Alba gu' brath

Dimitris

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 18, 2019, 04:59:36 AM
What is the flame speed anyway as it's not represented as a number.

Broadly speaking, the equivalent of this: https://youtu.be/ygE01sOhzz0

Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Pete Dero

Destraex

To those that have played it. Is modern operations really worth it for those that own the original? Or does it just provide marginal improvements?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Con

Its an improvement -  The tacview is perhaps a bit underwhelming but the better map images and the interface and controls make it a worthwhile upgrade for me.
I am still learning about tacview so as I get more familiar with it I might come to regard that portion more valuable.
Con

Yskonyn

Definitely worth your money, especially at 50% off for existing owners. The UI is much nicer.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Rayfer

Quote from: Yskonyn on November 20, 2019, 04:15:08 AM
Definitely worth your money, especially at 50% off for existing owners. The UI is much nicer.

Anyone know how long the 50% off existing owners will last on Steam? I don't have the $$ right now but do want to upgrade to the new edition later...but then I don't want to miss out on the discount. Thanks.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Rayfer on November 23, 2019, 01:35:48 PM
Quote from: Yskonyn on November 20, 2019, 04:15:08 AM

Anyone know how long the 50% off existing owners will last on Steam? I don't have the $$ right now but do want to upgrade to the new edition later...but then I don't want to miss out on the discount. Thanks.

1) I bought CMANO on Steam, do I get a discount?
Yes, Steam will automatically offerCMO at a 50% discount for you. The discount is valid until January 31st 2020