Paradox: The best game house out there at the moment for pc games?

Started by fran, September 26, 2020, 01:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Anguille on September 30, 2020, 02:16:39 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 27, 2020, 03:34:56 AM
Quote from: Anguille on September 27, 2020, 12:56:20 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 26, 2020, 04:04:11 PM
hopefully doesn't turn out to be omertà-like
I had fun with Omerta. What is it you didn't like?

It's been a long time since played so I might get some of this wrong and/or maybe some of my concerns got worked out in DLC, but from what I recall:

- The atmosphere never felt really gangster-like...from how the game was graphically, music, and general mood.  Felt a little too "happy" and "bright" versus a little more dark and sinister.

- Thought the strategy layer was pretty light; remember it being a little too simplistic and not keeping my attention; just seemed a little boring to me

- Character creation was very basic, basically you answered a survey with pre existing portraits

- The map seemed small and couldn't zoom out very well

- If I recall correctly, your gang really never got that big

- Although I liked the concept of the xcom fights, recall them being not that great or realistic; missing things that you shouldn't

- etc.

It's been too long to remember much more, but bottomline is it just failed to meet my expectations.  When this game was first announced, it was a must have and immediate purchase for me.  I wanted to love it, but simply didn't provide me what I was looking for in this type of game.  Empire of Sin seems like it could be a good one, but I am cautious about it and trying to keep my expectations down.  Time will tell.
I understand. I have to say that i don't have much experience with Mafia type of games. I really love the music in the game but yes, it's mostly joyful music.

Time will tell....I truly hope this new game turns out great....I just have my reservations but I would gladly be willing to be very wrong.....

ArizonaTank

Quote from: fran on September 26, 2020, 01:20:52 PM
I had a look at the upcoming Empire of Sin( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4ljgWuUhH0&ab_channel=ParadoxExtra) So Mafia-style game with
campaign + sandbox, and with turn-based combat.  Definitely ticks some of the boxes for me.

I was a fan of "Gangsters." It was released in 1998 and I have been looking for a game to take over where it left off ever since.

"Gangsters" was pretty flawed (actually it is still available on GOG), but was also wonderful. Open sandbox...strategy, character development, and tactical gunfights were all there. The game was also very deep and took a bunch of time just to understand. Marred by a sometimes clunky interface and bugs, "Gangsters" just never reached its full potential. But I loved the concepts.

I found "Omerta" to be disappointing on several levels...the biggest was that it just seemed to be "candy coated" to me. I can't explain it better than that. I felt it never had "Gangsters" potential.

"Empire of Sin" seems like it will be the game to finally take over where "Gangsters" left off... crossing my fingers on this one.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.