Microsoft Flight Simulator...

Started by Jarhead0331, June 09, 2019, 07:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RyanE

smittyohio

Quote from: RyanE on August 29, 2020, 02:19:26 PM
Keep in mind that first time PC building is not as simple as some people, who have done it a few times, make out.  I watched my son struggle through school of hard knocks.  Whether it was sizing the wrong power supply, screwing his thermal paste, kinking his liquid cooling hoses, motherboard connectors, etc.  He spent two days troubleshooting the pin-outs for fans on the mother board and a couple days figuring his drives and the SATA wiring out.  In all, he spent a full week just building and trouble shooting.  And he's an electrical engineer with a pretty good innate understanding of PCs.  His biggest mistake was ordering the wrong motherboard.  Lost a week in returning and getting a new one.

But when he helped my other son build his, it took a weekend.

PS - Don't forget you need a LEGAL copy of windows on a build.  That's another $100.

Totally agree.  I've built most of my machines for the last 20 years, and it still can be nerve wracking when nothing happens when you hit that power switch.   It can be a total pain to figure out what you did wrong, or if you have a bad part (and which one??)

RyanE

Patch is available.  Just start up MSFS20 and it'll automatically take you through the update.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/news-patch-version-1-7-14-0-update/245576

RyanE

New patch...

https://www.flightsimulator.com/patch-version-1-8-3-0-is-now-available/

Seems to address a lot of stuff.  Five minutes of flying and the airliners are much smoother, even in heavy cities.

Redwolf

Question: if I buy the cheap standard version, can I later buy the planes and airports in the other editions?

I hear there is some kind of shop, but I can't check before I buy.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Redwolf on October 03, 2020, 03:40:44 PM
Question: if I buy the cheap standard version, can I later buy the planes and airports in the other editions?

There is a marketplace in the game where you can buy additional airports, scenery, planes, etc.  I looked up some of the airports that came with the deluxe and premium versions and I could only find one (O'Hare) that is available as a separate purchase versus buying the deluxe/premium bundles.  You can also upgrade from standard to one of the other bundles within the marketplace.  No idea if they plan to eventually add the other stuff as separate purchases or whether you'll always need to upgrade to one of the bundles.

Yskonyn

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 03, 2020, 05:20:28 PM
Quote from: Redwolf on October 03, 2020, 03:40:44 PM

There is a marketplace in the game where you can buy additional airports, scenery, planes, etc.  I looked up some of the airports that came with the deluxe and premium versions and I could only find one (O'Hare) that is available as a separate purchase versus buying the deluxe/premium bundles.  You can also upgrade from standard to one of the other bundles within the marketplace.  No idea if they plan to eventually add the other stuff as separate purchases or whether you'll always need to upgrade to one of the bundles.

Traditionally the aircraft and airports were only availlable to those who bought the higher tier versions, but with this version you can upgrade later.
Of course there is the distinction between 3rd party work as well; the aircraft / airports (especially) might be re-done by a third party group and that would enable you to buy it seperately. However, the deal on the upgraded tiers is pretty sweet IMO if those give you airports you will frequent often, as airport addons usually go for 20 to 30 a piece.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Redwolf

Thanks, folks. Buying the upgrade packages later is exactly what I need. I just don't want to overspend before I'm sure I like it.

Also, I want a F-4 Phantom II in there :)

hellfish6

I just ordered a brand new computer specifically for this. I'm not even all that keen on the flying... I just want to go sightseeing.

Bardolph

Quote from: hellfish6 on October 04, 2020, 09:29:44 AM
I just ordered a brand new computer specifically for this. I'm not even all that keen on the flying... I just want to go sightseeing.

I haven't even plugged a stick or pedals in so far, just been visiting various places using an Xbox controller just to sightsee.

Redwolf

It is downloading the 110 GB for more than 24 hours now. Is that normal?

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Redwolf on October 05, 2020, 06:59:19 AM

I guess depends on your internet connection...I consider my connection on the slower side, still on DSL.  With this I am able to download about 10-11GB per hour, which would take me about 10 hrs to download (roughly what I remembered when I downloaded---did not take 24 hours).  So in my case, 24 hours would seem excessive unless your internet connection is about twice as slow as mine.

Redwolf

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 05, 2020, 08:37:46 AM
Quote from: Redwolf on October 05, 2020, 06:59:19 AM

I guess depends on your internet connection...I consider my connection on the slower side, still on DSL.  With this I am able to download about 10-11GB per hour, which would take me about 10 hrs to download (roughly what I remembered when I downloaded---did not take 24 hours).  So in my case, 24 hours would seem excessive unless your internet connection is about twice as slow as mine.

I have Gbit. Turns out the download was hanging on a specific patch. I nuked some stuff and restarted the patching.

Download is complete, but now I'm waiting for loading. Seems like I should move this install off the magnetic drive and use a SSD.

Redwolf

How is everybody doing with this thing?

I cannot say that it meets my expectations. In fact I am thinking about canceling my PC upgrade program since more and more games aren't worth the expense. I think Assetto Corsa Competitione is the only game I play and like that would really benefit from new hardware.

hellfish6

I love it. It's exactly what I expected it to be, which is rare.