Order of Battle Red Storm

Started by airboy, September 17, 2020, 03:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

The third and final release in the Order of Battle series focusing on the forces of the USSR is being released today - Red Storm.

You can import your core forces from the two earlier campaigns if you saved them.

I'd really like to play it, but I'll be moving furniture across multiple States, finishing painting, and other stuff for a couple of weeks.  Hopefully after that I can get back to enjoying my retirement.

airboy

I bought Red Storm with my annual loyalty discount.  Financially, not the best way to use my discount of 42% for $5 off - but it was the game I wanted.

The new models for the AI Germans is quite good.  Your Commie units are still generic, at least until the modders fix it.

see:

Sir Slash

Wow, those are pretty good. Almost too pretty to blow-up.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 13, 2020, 09:17:46 AM
Wow, those are pretty good. Almost too pretty to blow-up.

Nothing...I repeat...nothing, is too pretty to blow up.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

I'll be getting Red Storm over the winter, hopefully with some kind of discount. Order of Battle has so much content I will never get to it all. But I had a blast with the Rising Sun and Morning Sun campaigns during the summer.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

What's the deal with the skull-and-crossbones theme for the German side?  Is that the symbol/flag they use for SS divisions?
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Quote from: al_infierno on October 13, 2020, 11:27:07 AM
What's the deal with the skull-and-crossbones theme for the German side?  Is that the symbol/flag they use for SS divisions?

I think it might mean they are surrounded and/or cutoff from supply and fighting to the last man.

Either that, or they are with the 3rd SS Panzer Division Totenkopf.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

al_infierno

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 13, 2020, 11:27:43 AM

Either that, or they are with the 3rd SS Panzer Division Totenkopf.

That's what I was thinking...  If that's the case, I'd much prefer to see the actual Toten skull than some goofy Jolly Roger symbol.  I'm sure modders are on it already :crazy2:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

airboy

In Order of Battle, the skull and crossbones are used to designate any SS unit.  That is just their convention.  They use a different indicator when out of supply.

The screenshot is from the 1943 Battle of Kursk where one or two SS Panzer divisions broke through two lines of Commie defenders.  You are taking the role of the Russki's against the SS Panzer division.

In Order of Battle, when you play the Germans you can use research points to raise SS forces.  Doing so gives you extra units.  You further have the choice to designate more of your resource points to reinforcing SS troops.

I've played all of the Official content at least twice except for this newest release which I've just started.  The number of scenarios (not campaigns, scenarios) from modders on the Slitherine website is almost unbelievable.  I've played more than 50% of the most prolific Modder's campaigns (Erik2's) and there are many other modders.

Sir Slash

Damn, I was hoping there were Pirates in the game.  :arr:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

That sounds awesome AB.

I just realized that most of my time with OoB has been playing Imperial Japanese campaigns. Can't wait to get to the ETO.

For reference I placed an image of the 3rd SS Panzer Division's unit insignia below.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

uncajerf

Also, don't forget that, in certain countries, certain symbols are illegal. :)

JRR