4th Annual NCAA Tournament Bracket Challenge

Started by bayonetbrant, March 12, 2015, 08:45:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

RANK  BRACKET, OWNER        R64    R32   S16  E8    F4  NCG   CHAMPION    PPR    TOTAL    PCT
1    KyzBP                  280    100    0    0    0    0    Kentucky    1320    380    99.2
2    Straight Chalk         270     80    0    0    0    0    Kentucky    1160    350    90.9
3    bayonetbrant           240    100    0    0    0    0    Kentucky    1380    340    81.9
4*   Marty Ward             230     80    0    0    0    0    Kentucky    1320    310    50.3
4*   Electric_Strawberry    230     80    0    0    0    0    Kentucky    1120    310    50.3
6    stophro                240     60    0    0    0    0    Kentucky    1380    300    39.5
7*   36Bison                230     60    0    0    0    0    Kentucky    1360    290    29.9
7*   avery knows dook sucks 210     80    0    0    0    0    Kentucky    1000    290    29.9
9    40Cent                 210     60    0    0    0    0     Gonzaga    1280    270    15.7
10   Banzai_Cat             170     60    0    0    0    0        Utah    1140    230     4.4

Straight Chalk is hanging tough!
PPR gets important at this point, and KzyBP, MD, Bison and I are all pretty close there.  Surprisingly, Airboy has fewer PPR than B_C, even with having UK in the final.

Airboy, did you have one of your grad students make your picks for you?!  :o

MetalDog

I just looked at all the brackets, and, with the exception of B_C and straight chalk, EVERYBODY had Michigan State getting at least as far as the Sweet Sixteen.  WTF?!?!?!  Why you boys be copyin' me?!?!!!!!??!?!!
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

BanzaiCat

I've said it before: I just made random choices. And it shows!  O0

bayonetbrant

RANK  BRACKET, OWNER        R64    R32   S16  E8    F4  NCG   CHAMPION    PPR    TOTAL    PCT
1    KyzBP                  280    240    0    0    0    0    Kentucky    1160    520    99.9
2    Straight Chalk         270    180    0    0    0    0    Kentucky     920    450    85.8
3    bayonetbrant           240    200    0    0    0    0    Kentucky    1240    440    77.0
4*   Bison                  230    200    0    0    0    0    Kentucky    1200    430    68.7
4*   Electric_Strawberry    230    200    0    0    0    0    Kentucky     920    430    68.7
4*   avery knows dook sucks 210    220    0    0    0    0    Kentucky     840    430    68.7
7    stophro                240    180    0    0    0    0    Kentucky    1240    420    59.7
8    Marty Ward             230    180    0    0    0    0    Kentucky    1120    410    50.6
9    40Cent                 210    180    0    0    0    0     Gonzaga    1080    390    34.1
10   Banzai_Cat             170     80    0    0    0    0        Utah     680    250     2.1

B-C continues to commit hari-kari...

BanzaiCat

Marty Ward

Well I may have made sucky picks but I'm doing better than the Prez is! In fact almost everyone in our tourney is doing better than him.

http://games.espn.go.com/tournament-challenge-bracket/2015/en/entry?entryID=6674346
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

Electric_Strawberry

My excuse is I drank the Big XII Kool Aid. :-[

bayonetbrant

Mine is that I believe in my alma mater - so far, so good!  :)

bayonetbrant

here's an interesting article about some of the betting lines
http://espn.go.com/chalk/story/_/id/12543118/kentucky-wildcats-upstart-nc-state-wolfpack-vegas-attention

Back in February, when NC State lost to Wake Forest, they were 14-11 and a 2000-1 bet to win the nat'l title.  Some dude dropped $300 on them at that point.
They're 3 winnable games from playing for it, including a rematch against a L'uhvul team they already beat on the road once.

MetalDog

Settle down there, alumna.  There will be no puppy power all the way to the final.  Mark my words.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

I'm sure they'll crash & burn against Mich St.  Tom Izzo is something like 11-1 on the second game of any given weekend (rd of 32, Elite 8 ).  His teams turn around their game plan faster than anyone on the planet.

BanzaiCat

Ha...I'm surprised that my 'winner' is in the Sweet 16 now (Utah). I only have three other 'winners' that advanced...4 teams out of 64? LOL, better than I thought I'd do.  :idiot2:

bayonetbrant

some hilarious analysis of the tournament thus far.

Despite being an Ohio St alum, Mark Titus might have to go on my "must read" list

QuoteRon Hunter has coached in two NCAA tournaments. When he clinched his first appearance while coaching at IUPUI in 2003, he put two holes in his dress pants from doing a celebratory belly flop. When he clinched his second tourney appearance this year with Georgia State, he tore his Achilles while celebrating. When his son hit the game-winning 3 to give Hunter his first career NCAA tournament win, he fell off his stool and broke the cast that was helping to heal his Achilles. And when the Panthers' season came to an end against Xavier on Saturday night, Hunter broke down crying, possibly because that game might have been the last time he'll coach his son.

Here's a rule I'd like to propose to improve college basketball: Involve Ron Hunter in every NCAA tournament for the rest of time.

QuoteAssuming Kentucky doesn't completely crap the bed, there are only a handful of teams in the country that could take down the Cats. And Kentucky has to play only two of them, at most. Villanova and Virginia are out, Arizona and Wisconsin will have to play each other before the Final Four, and the same goes for Duke and Gonzaga. This is why I say we take the selection committee's 1-68 list and Street Fighter this sumbitch. Kentucky starts at team 68 and moves up the list with each win until it reaches the top. And what happens when it runs the table and ends up 101-0? It goes up against the final boss, which is — you guessed it — the Philadelphia 76ers.

QuotePower rankings of the three worst calls of the tournament's first weekend:

1. The goaltending call at the end of SMU-UCLA. That was so bad that anyone who believes it was a good call should have to go door to door every time they move and tell their neighbors how they feel about the call. "Hi, sir. Sorry to bother you. I just moved in next door and I'm required by law to let you know that I thought the goaltend at the end of SMU-UCLA was the right call."

2. The technical called on Ed Cooley for yelling at his own players. We've now reached a point when someone could say, "Remember that time recently when a coach got a tech in the NCAA tournament for yelling at his own guys?" and you could respond, "Which one?"

3. Each of the 3,409,782,345 charges that have been called this tournament, including this one that easily could've blown out Kennedy Meeks's knee

some of his other columns are hilarious, too.  I already linked the selection sunday analysis above.  Here's one where he's part of a group of journalists going through the exercise of building and seeding the tournament that's got some awesome moments in it, too

QuoteDuring the bracketing process, it was brought to my attention that we'd given Baylor a 4-seed and Valparaiso a 13-seed, meaning a potential brother vs. brother head-coaching matchup between Scott and Bryce Drew was possible. Mandel and I were cochairs of the mock committee and had yet to make any executive decisions, so I decided to put my foot down and make the Drew vs. Drew game happen, even though it meant sending Valpo to Jacksonville for its first game when a spot was open in Louisville. The NCAA officials laughed and said this would never happen in real life. I kept a straight face and told them that maybe it should.

They replied that the only way they'd even acknowledge a potential brother-vs.-brother game was to avoid it, since it might be a distraction for the coaches. Keep in mind that this is coming from the same people who make Louisville play Kentucky, North Carolina play Kansas, and Villanova and Iowa State play the eventual national champion every freaking year.

QuoteThe mock selection committee had Oklahoma ranked as the best 3-seed and had Notre Dame as the worst 4-seed. A small contingent wanted to put Oklahoma State above Notre Dame, which would've bumped the Irish down to a 5-seed. This is the same Notre Dame team that holds a 23-4 record. It has sole possession of second place in the toughest conference in America. It beat Duke and won at North Carolina. It has no bad losses. I wouldn't blame you one bit if reading all of this makes you question the validity of the mock selection process. I had a similar reaction. At one point, I got so upset with Notre Dame's ranking on our board that I turned to Mandel and asked him if everyone on the committee was shitting me. Mandel confirmed that there was no shitting going on. The committee seriously thought that Oklahoma was seven spots better than Notre Dame. YET SOMEHOW I'M THE CRAZY ONE.

---SNIP---

A 23-4 ACC TEAM WAS ALMOST GIVEN A 5-SEED AND I WAS THE ONLY PERSON IN A ROOM WITH ABOUT 40 COLLEGE BASKETBALL PEOPLE WHO SEEMED TO CARE. I hope everyone on the mock committee is reading this, I hope they're sorry, and I hope the tears they cry as they write their apology notes dry out their skin.

QuoteI couldn't believe no one would consider bumping down the Blue Devils to accommodate the Buzzcuts and Zags. At its best, Duke might be better than anyone. But are we really going to ignore that 16-point home loss to Miami? Hell, Duke's second-worst loss of the season — by 12 at NC State — is still worse than any of the other potential 1-seeds' losses.4

It was as if the mock selection committee had been so preoccupied by this shiny toy (wins at Virginia and Wisconsin) that its members didn't notice the kitchen was on fire. If it wasn't already obvious from how our committee treated Oklahoma, good wins carried more weight than bad losses, which is a line of thought that some real committee members said they share. As one of the actual committee members put it: "I care more about who you can beat than who can beat you." This bodes well for Duke, who can beat anyone.

The Dick's Degrees of Separation is pretty damned funny, too.