Combat Mission status

Started by RyanE, May 27, 2018, 02:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Michael Dorosh on May 31, 2018, 10:44:34 AMNo one comes here for the articles, Hef.

I always wanted to work for a media organization like Playboy! O0  :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Zulu1966

This comment particularly intrigued me... Correcting our original research and predictions for near future TO&E also was no small task.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 31, 2018, 11:32:39 AM
Quote from: Michael Dorosh on May 31, 2018, 10:44:34 AMNo one comes here for the articles, Hef.

I always wanted to work for a media organization like Playboy! O0  :)

Given our reputation, you're much more akin to Larry Flynt.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: Zulu1966 on May 31, 2018, 12:52:26 PM
This comment particularly intrigued me... Correcting our original research and predictions for near future TO&E also was no small task.

I'm still not clear on whether the module is set in 2008 or the current Syria. Certainly the model of a regular US Stryker force taking on the national Syrian Army does not match the situation on the ground. Will we see ISIS and Russian mercenaries and Canadian special forces in the new one? Kind of a 'content rich' area either way you choose to go. Maybe they'll pick both (i.e. conventional 2008 US-Syria war, and historical 2017 Syrian civil war with ISIS and proxy armies)?

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: RyanE on May 27, 2018, 02:09:59 PM

edit: Found some info on the NZ deal...

https://www.cove.org.au/wargaming/article-experimenting-with-a-commercial-off-the-shelf-wargame-as-a-pme-tool/

Note the comment at the bottom.  Someone doesn't think its a good idea.

Interesting, I hadn't been aware of the "NZ deal" though I remember a previous deal where either Australia or NZ got a licenced version of CM:AK with additional units not available to the public (nothing major, I think an AA Bren Gun tripod was the highlight).

There was a "game day" of sorts at our reserve army armoury a couple months back, where the local armoured regiment sat down at a few rows of PCs set up on the parade square and played an online simulation - I believe it was the military version of Steel Beasts. And there I was, in my infantry company's HQ office, doing spreadsheets on who had thrown a hand grenade this year or not.

IICptMillerII

Quote from: Michael Dorosh on May 31, 2018, 01:08:31 PM
Quote from: Zulu1966 on May 31, 2018, 12:52:26 PM

I'm still not clear on whether the module is set in 2008 or the current Syria. Certainly the model of a regular US Stryker force taking on the national Syrian Army does not match the situation on the ground. Will we see ISIS and Russian mercenaries and Canadian special forces in the new one? Kind of a 'content rich' area either way you choose to go. Maybe they'll pick both (i.e. conventional 2008 US-Syria war, and historical 2017 Syrian civil war with ISIS and proxy armies)?

No. It will take place in 2008, following the same alternate history scenario. There will be no Russians. BFC has no plan to simulate the civil war, or ISIS, or anything else of that nature.

Quote from: RyanE on May 31, 2018, 08:31:02 AM
"Glad to see they are taking on extra help and that rumours of their demise as usual is uninformed speculation"

But something Steve seems to have not learned is that absence of ANY communications leads to this.  Its called marketing and even the most basic of small companies have to do some of it in small doses to survive.  Why does it take a flare up on the BFC boards to pull Steve away from Ukraine discussions and actually update his customers who would throw money at him?

As I mentioned, I was also a bit put off by the lack of communication over the past 5 months, especially considering their last communication was that things were getting close to release. I'm also very anxious for the 4.0 patch, which they have yet to release any new info on.

That said, to his credit Steve did say that the lack of communication was a mistake on their part, and apologized for it. Also, more communication isn't always a good thing. It's damned if you do, damned if you don't. A lot of the time when they do post updates, they are met with a lot of unjustified criticism and speculation. If I were them I would be weary of posting lots of small updates myself. Again, a communication blackout is not good, and they acknowledged that, but neither is a constant flow of non-information.

More on topic, I'm excited by the news of CMSF2. The upgrade price is very modest in my opinion, especially given all the work they've had to put into it. News on the website upgrade is good to hear as well. I don't personally have any issues with the current website, but I know they have been trying to upgrade the darn thing for a long time now, and it keeps getting in the way of other projects. It'll be nice to see that problem solved and done with. I'm also glad to hear they have prioritized CMSF2 over the Italy module. While I'm excited for it, it is definitely closer to the bottom of projects that interest me overall. Hopefully we get news of the 4.0 patch soon, and that its good news.

Con

I am a huge fan of battlefront having everyone of their games.  This time around I have not installed any of them on my new PC nor do I plan too.  Its not any one thing but I just feel that the technology/graphics has passed Command Mission by and I am unhappy with the AI, maps, spotting and vision of Battlefront for their franchise. 

In my experience they are having trouble bridging the gap between a small time hobbyist developer and a full time professional one.  They have a built in fanbase so little need for marketing but sometimes you need to spend money to make money and here they need to hire resources such as programming and above all a good project management team that can provide a realistic assessment on release dates and resources needed.  This would also allow them to set a strategy (which games/when patches, new engines etc) rather than stumbling forward into the unknown each time and confusing/disappointing their fans who might have unrealistic expectations.  However those expectations are only allowed to grow in the absence of any communication and successful execution from Battlefront.

Grim.Reaper

I am in the "I will believe it when I see it camp" regardless of the update...to me its the same old same pattern and don't expect it to ever change.  But when the stuff does get released, I am sure I'll buy...I just treat it as a pleasant surprise when it does.

RyanE

"That said, to his credit Steve did say that the lack of communication was a mistake on their part, and apologized for it."

I would see that apology and just deal with it, except this has been a pattern for a couple years.

1) natives get restless
2) Steve posts a thread about all the plans
3) Steve continues posting off and on in some Stryker/Ukraine/Russian thread on BFC
4) Months go by with nary a word from BFC on the plans and progress
5) Regular players start to post about the lack of information for a couple months
5) The hardcore beta team members fight delaying actions in the forums until painted into a corner
6) Steve steps in with a new plan and why its so hard to hit schedules

The only difference this time around was the beta team guys started to let slip their own frustrations with the pattern.

Zulu1966

Quote from: RyanE on May 31, 2018, 06:49:24 PM
"That said, to his credit Steve did say that the lack of communication was a mistake on their part, and apologized for it."

I would see that apology and just deal with it, except this has been a pattern for a couple years.

1) natives get restless
3) Steve continues posting off and on in some Stryker/Ukraine/Russian thread on BFC
5) Regular players start to post about the lack of information for a couple months
5) The hardcore beta team members fight delaying actions in the forums until painted into a corner

The only difference this time around was the beta team guys started to let slip their own frustrations with the pattern.

And I am really at a loss why people get so worked up about it.
They will do what they can do and it will arrive when it arrives ... the length of time it takes to arrive is not proportional to the amount people ask for it. They dont post an update everyone moans. They post an update and get it wrong - and everyone moans. They leave posting an update until they definitely know and everyone moans
I gave up expectation from BFC  long time ago - and just dont worry about it anymore - when stuff comes it is a great day - but simply dont think about it in the interim.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

RyanE

Steve is just such an easy target. 

Boggit

Quote from: Zulu1966 on May 31, 2018, 07:39:02 PM
Quote from: RyanE on May 31, 2018, 06:49:24 PM

1) natives get restless

And I am really at a loss why people get so worked up about it.
They will do what they can do and it will arrive when it arrives ... the length of time it takes to arrive is not proportional to the amount people ask for it. They dont post an update everyone moans. They post an update and get it wrong - and everyone moans. They leave posting an update until they definitely know and everyone moans
I gave up expectation from BFC  long time ago - and just dont worry about it anymore - when stuff comes it is a great day - but simply dont think about it in the interim.
+1  O0
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

jomni

+1 just chill and play other games. Play old Battlefront games.  Then rejoice when something new eventually comes out.

Boggit

The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit